26” on gravel bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

26” on gravel bike?

Post by Adventurer »

Might be a strange question, but I’m thinking about 26” wheels on a gravel bike for winter.

I use one of my sondor Camino bikes everyday for work and planning all through winter.

Last year used my MTB with 26 spiked tyres but that is no longer an option.

I’ve been trying to find some 750b ice stud tyres but failing.

My options are 700c stud tyres but that means swapping over tyres early.

Or maybe getting a cheap set of 26” wheels and putting my marathon winter or ice spikes pro tyres on permanently for winter. Would give more clearence too.

Would this work do you think.

Not sure what I should do, any ideas. ?
restlessshawn

Re: 26” on gravel bike?

Post by restlessshawn »

Not what you asked but I have a pair of Schwalbe snow stud 700x38 used once in my garage :wink: pumped up hard they run on the centre off the studs. I never use them as I just stay off the roads if it's like that.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it will work assuming you have clearance
the only issue is BB height will be reduced
As you wont exactly be going fast i cannot see any problems with this approach- Might actually do it with my Hardtail[650b/29] if it gets proper icy as they [ 26. 2.3 ice tyres]wont fit in my commuter CX bike and I am not using the SS for flat 18 mile each way commute
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

restlessshawn wrote:Not what you asked but I have a pair of Schwalbe snow stud 700x38 used once in my garage :wink: pumped up hard they run on the centre off the studs. I never use them as I just stay off the roads if it's like that.
I have a pair of those that came with a Planet x offer. Everytime it gets frosty I think about fitting them and then the weather clears up! :lol:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

johnnystorm wrote:
restlessshawn wrote:Not what you asked but I have a pair of Schwalbe snow stud 700x38 used once in my garage :wink: pumped up hard they run on the centre off the studs. I never use them as I just stay off the roads if it's like that.
I have a pair of those that came with a Planet x offer. Everytime it gets frosty I think about fitting them and then the weather clears up! :lol:
That’s exactly what I have been doing for years!
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Thanks, however looking for tyres with more studs.