New DW Fork

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

New DW Fork

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Interesting evolution of the suspension fork.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/10/re ... sage-fork/

I suspect it will be of little interest to the BP crowd, and even the Enduro lot may be put off by the huge cost combined with equally large mass.

But you have to take notice when a DW designed product goes into production.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: New DW Fork

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Trailing link / leading link / Earls ... it's nowt new.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: put off by the huge cost.
Did I read that correctly? $2700 :o

Given how much stick R@pha get for their pricing I can't see it being popular here :wink: I'm surprised they are offering a lifetime warranty on the bearings, that's either a lot of confidence in their design or the $2700 covers bearing changes up to the point where they think you're going to buy a new fork.

As much as from an engineering point I'd like this to do well I think that forks are an area where people don't like to go too far from the norm, mainstream mountain biking being fashion led and no one wanting to stand out from the crowd, so like the previous forks before it which solve the issues with a telescopic fork I fear it won't catch on.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

It's the first version and made from carbon by Enve. It'll do xc to enduro travel with little fiddling about. Give it chance to calm down price wise and it's got potential.
jameso

Post by jameso »

mainstream mountain biking being fashion led and no one wanting to stand out from the crowd, so like the previous forks before it which solve the issues with a telescopic fork I fear it won't catch on.
Doesn't look moto = won't sell : ) unfortunately much truth in that.

Looks very sensible to me, cost aside. I wonder what part of it DW's IP lawyers will have wrapped up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While it's true that the general design of telescopic forks is somewhat crap, it's probably fair to say that the general riding population is even crapper - any advacement in fork technology is largely wasted on them. Add the price and the odd looks and I fear it's a concept that's dead in the water.

Drop the cost by 3/4, pretty it up a bit and get it fitted as OE on something and who knows but for 95% of folk, their fork is way down on the list of limiting factors with regard to their riding prowess. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

While it's true that the general design of telescopic forks is somewhat crap, it's probably fair to say that the general riding population is even crapper - any advacement in fork technology is largely wasted on them.
And there's me thinking the biggest advances in suspension recently are fatter tyres and tubeless :cool:

These look interesting and the development of pivotal front suspension systems could match that of rear suspension over the last ten years. Not being an engineer I wonder how fork angle would have a bearing [sic] on length of pivot arms etc. in the design.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Somewhere there's a tiny gnome puking his rainbow ring.

Truly awful looking :mrgreen:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Him again... :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lots of wee linkage bearings right in the firing line of the worst of the mud = epic fail. Tele forks have the benefit of being largely idiot proof (although they would be totally idiot proof if they went back to coil and oil...) these ones will be a pia to maintain and will likely be pretty fragile when rocks are involved.
jameso

Post by jameso »

htrider wrote:Lots of wee linkage bearings right in the firing line of the worst of the mud = epic fail. Tele forks have the benefit of being largely idiot proof (although they would be totally idiot proof if they went back to coil and oil...) these ones will be a pia to maintain and will likely be pretty fragile when rocks are involved.
Bearings and dirt, FS bike rear ends can do ok and telescopic fork seals are right next to the tyre and pick up a lot of junk from muddy tyres and wheel spray. Tbh the service needs and bushing wear + slop is what pissed me off most with sus forks. Can't see these been any worse than a lot of other kit out there?

I ride a rigid bike most of the time so my personal opinion on expensive sus components is withheld :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Somewhere there's a tiny gnome puking his rainbow ring.

Truly awful looking :mrgreen:
Yes, yes there is.

However, I'd be interested to ride that fork.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jameso wrote:
htrider wrote:Lots of wee linkage bearings right in the firing line of the worst of the mud = epic fail. Tele forks have the benefit of being largely idiot proof (although they would be totally idiot proof if they went back to coil and oil...) these ones will be a pia to maintain and will likely be pretty fragile when rocks are involved.
Bearings and dirt, FS bike rear ends can do ok and telescopic fork seals are right next to the tyre and pick up a lot of junk from muddy tyres and wheel spray. Tbh the service needs and bushing wear + slop is what pissed me off most with sus forks. Can't see these been any worse than a lot of other kit out there?

I ride a rigid bike most of the time so my personal opinion on expensive sus components is withheld :grin:
Which is why when I rode a bouncer is was an Orange 5 with bombers. (new pivot bearings every 5 years or so, oil change on the forks once in...er, once.....) Modern suss forks are a huge scam with there excessive service requirements - ask a club motocrosser how many times they take there forks to bits in a season = 0.
Tele forks can have gaitors which eliminates mud ingress, these can't. Linkage rear suspension is a crap idea as well unless you like taking things apart a lot...

That's why I now ride rigid :mrgreen:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote:Modern suss forks are a huge scam with there excessive service requirements
I don't go by these and the Fox forks I ride haven't yet exploded. They still work butter smooth. 2000 km in one case and >1000 km in another. No service beyond cleaning after about every 10 rides (yes, pressure washer...) and very little lubing from the outside on rare occassions (apparently not a good idea either).
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Bombers were great. Simple and pretty durable. Had a good rep partly as the tolerances and damping refinement weren't great to start with so you didn't notice that they were wearing the stanchions out : ) I took mine apart once and realised the stanchions had a ridge where the split, part-open bushing hadn't worn them down evenly. Just rotated the new bushing a bit and carried on.

I think I'd rather replace some sealed bearings than wear down some stanchions and replace bushings in modern forks but I doubt link forks will replace longer travel forks either way. A bit of slop or flex (and big forks don't flex much now) is lost in the noise of a bike that's moving that much at speed anyway. But for a lighter, tighter feeling XC bike I like the general idea of these. 130mm is plenty.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

GregMay wrote: Image
As I Lauf rider even I have to agree it's Fugly.

All those nooks and crannies to get crud stuck inside, all those bearings to wear and tear.
Give me leaf springs any day they are very tried and tested since 1750 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote:^ Bombers were great. Simple and pretty durable. Had a good rep partly as the tolerances and damping refinement weren't great to start with so you didn't notice that they were wearing the stanchions out : ) I took mine apart once and realised the stanchions had a ridge where the split, part-open bushing hadn't worn them down evenly. Just rotated the new bushing a bit and carried on.

I think I'd rather replace some sealed bearings than wear down some stanchions and replace bushings in modern forks but I doubt link forks will replace longer travel forks either way. A bit of slop or flex (and big forks don't flex much now) is lost in the noise of a bike that's moving that much at speed anyway. But for a lighter, tighter feeling XC bike I like the general idea of these. 130mm is plenty.
Pretty much all Marzocchi's were like that for quite a few years. Rode a big Shiver, bloddy butter smooth and soft and tender.
A 2010-2011 Fox 40 felt so stiff, it was close to being too much. Fox has actually reduced the 40's stiffness a couple of years ago.
I wouldn't want my 36 to be any stiffer too.

Also with modern damping loads of brake dive can be reduced. It seems DW arguments just go by pure theory sans damper, but the damping is actually what makes suspension so good.
psling

Post by psling »

Didn't USE do something along similar lines 12 or so years ago, think it was called the Sub - although that was a single leg lefty - and a bit 'chunkier'?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.