Looks interesting, maybe cheaper cassettes on the horizon?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

u02sgb

Looks interesting, maybe cheaper cassettes on the horizon?

Post by u02sgb »

Google suggested this to me today. Looks really interesting if they can get it manufactured. Would be great to get cheaper cassette replacement and I'm sure some will really like being able to tune the jumps between gears.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/ ... ent-53139/
fatbikephil

Re: Looks interesting, maybe cheaper cassettes on the horizo

Post by fatbikephil »

Saw that but I suspect it will be like the Wolftooth CAMO system whereby the replaceable chainring is as expensive as a complete DM one. Looking at the amount of machining that's gone into those cassette gears and the carrier, I suspect they will be pricy....
Looks cool though :-bd
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Think they're saying the steel can be stamped though so in theory made relatively cheaply.

Hope could do a new freehub that included the alu carrier. Suspect there will be the usual manufacturing issues though, likely 3+years away from mainstream.
spindicator

Post by spindicator »

I’m waiting for someone to start 3D printing them. If rocket engines can be built this way then I’m sure the humble cassette is possible.
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

The problem with 3D printing, is it's really slow. Fine for making small runs of rocket motors or dropouts for a niche custom Ti frame, not so great if you want to mass produce something like a cassette. Although I'm sure you could make a one off horrifically expensive superlight one!

If someone like Hope were to partner with them and make freehubs for the Pro2 and the whole thing was <£150 then I'd be interested. Much more than that and you're into the realms of thinking why bother, by the time it's paid for itself in savings it'll be time to buy a 13speed cassette.