Expensive hipster bivvy gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Expensive hipster bivvy gear

Post by RIP »

Thanks for the reassurance Ben - I was on the verge of an inadequacy breakdown there :wink:.

Pockets... treasures... well remembered :smile:. I must check the load-bearing ratings before catastrophe befalls me....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
24tom

Post by 24tom »

So - one night in the sleeping bag done. It was a chilly one - not sure what overnight temps were at the OMM midcamp, but it was well below zero. Lots of frozen puddles/turf the following morning. It was also blowing a hoolie for a lot of the time.

I slept in: merino baselayer, fleece, Crikey, how much down jacket, beanie, leggings and merino socks. I also used an Exped Synmat HL (I think?). I was just about warm enough in a little tent shared with another person. I liked being able to open up the toe box - had my feet sticking out, letting them air a bit, then cinched up for warmth later. The bag was long enough for me at 6ft to have a good bit of room to manoeuvre.

It obviously wasn't as warm as any of my heavier weight bags, but then that's kind of defeating the object. Overall, I liked the compromise - reckon I'd have been toasty warm if the mercury had stayed in the positive. Will crack on using it for a few more months and see how we get on.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Tom, is this you at 1:55? I assume there weren't that many R@pha jackets there?

https://www.trailrunningmag.co.uk/new-b ... highlights

I've always liked the idea of entering an OMM but don't do enough running these days, although I did used to go orienteering and I do have lightweight kit... It looked to be a good event.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

sean_iow wrote:Tom, is this you at 1:55? I assume there weren't that many R@pha jackets there?

I've always liked the idea of entering an OMM but don't do enough running these days, although I did used to go orienteering and I do have lightweight kit... It looked to be a good event.
as I'm not a runner per se, is there like a big weekend walking version of the OMM ?
The fella with the beardy bloke is the sports reporter on the Chris Evans breakfast show, Vasos Alexander.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aren't you allowed to walk if you like? Obviously, it'll mean you're crap but eh.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Taylor wrote:
sean_iow wrote:Tom, is this you at 1:55? I assume there weren't that many R@pha jackets there?

as I'm not a runner per se, is there like a big weekend walking version of the OMM ?
The fella with the beardy bloke is the sports reporter on the Chris Evans breakfast show, Vasos Alexander.

In most mountain marathons there is usually a ‘C’ class which is aimed at hikers.

The Saunders (Lake District) MM has many of the previous courses listed in an archive, if you fancied trying one out on your own time.