Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Fat tyre kicker

Expensive hipster bivvy gear

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

johnnystorm

Re: Expensive hipster bivvy gear

Post by johnnystorm »

Looks like they've put some thought into it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks like they've put some thought into it!
Yes, I'd agree but I reckon you'd be bloody cold in that sleeping bag at any time other than high summer in the UK.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Is it really expensive? PHD half bags are about that price. How can one tell if it'll be cold without knowing the fill, and how that compares to other brands? I dunno, maybe the fill isn't all that since its 270g must also include a weighty zip. Im interested in the specs: I like the idea of a hooded top and zip bottom

Edit: 850-fill-power, ethically sourced 90/10 down
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There’s weights and prices in this article http://www.bikepacking.com/news/Crikey, how much-e ... ep-system/

It does look well thought out and put together. I’m fairly sure I have enough sleep system options though!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How can one tell if it'll be cold without knowing the fill
... because
its 270g
... and, there's about as much loft as your average 2 ply tissue.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not a new idea.

The PHD Desert Race bag which is also effectively a Pied d'elephant with a shell upper is slightly lighter but a little more expensive and is rated at 3C and uses 950fp down. Their Desert Race top to go with it is rated to -5C presumably to take account of heat loss via the arms.

The EHB version will probably be rated to somewhere in the 5-8C range
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it really expensive?
Perhaps that depands on your point of view or even social circles but a Cumulus 150 contains 150g of 850fp down, has proper baffles, high quality shell material and is very well put together ... and £150.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: The EHB version will probably be rated to somewhere in the 5-8C range
Perfect for those balmy summer nights in Scotland.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I had a look at one in Manchester today.

It looks to be a reasonably well thought out bit of kit. The down comes up to my chest, and coupled with a down jacket, you'd get a fair nights sleep in summer.

For the TCR or French divide I'd have thought it was a good system.

Not sure about that quoted weight, I would have said the fabric was a heavier weight than that.

F using it this time of year though either way.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:
whitestone wrote: The EHB version will probably be rated to somewhere in the 5-8C range
Perfect for those balmy summer nights in Scotland.
Both of them :lol:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

"Comfortable at 15°C"

Ah well, I think it'll look elsewhere
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Neither of the lightly re-written EHB press releases in the linked articles state how much down is in either item, only the fill power. A bit like saying you've filled your car's fuel tank with 98 octane but not saying how much. :roll:

I'd considered the PHD system for the HT550 but in the end it was, as for Ian, a sleeping system too far and I stuck with the Cumulus quilt. The idea/concept of stopping riding, putting on a warm jacket for "camp activities" then simply getting into the other half of your bag to kip is a neat one. But if "racing" then you are either riding or getting in/out of your bag and kipping in it not faffing about.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jamiep wrote:"Comfortable at 15°C"

Ah well, I think it'll look elsewhere
A chuffin' silk bag liner would be comfortable at 15C and cost about a tenth of the price!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The ability to walk about while in your bag could be handy. It'd help prevent the bouncing slug look.

ton

Post by ton »

£240 for some tights.
i would rather buy 20 pairs of these
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-classic ... 2230014968
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:The ability to walk about while in your bag could be handy. It'd help prevent the bouncing slug look.
:grin:

- Poler gear knapsack
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

jameso wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:The ability to walk about while in your bag could be handy. It'd help prevent the bouncing slug look.
:grin:

https://gearjunkie.com/selk-sleeping-ba ... s-and-legs

or

https://gearjunkie.com/somnambula-weara ... eeping-bag
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

£240 for some tights.
i would rather buy 20 pairs of these
I loved my ron hills and I just cannot see what you get for the price

Once i ended up at my GF and had no cycling trousers so I borrowed here 2 for a fiver leggings
they were just as water repellent, warm and comfortable as the expensive sets I owned. I have never ever bought expensive tights [ except stealth for waterproofness]
I dont get how anyone can pay that its about £2 for materials and the rest is marketing
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've a summer haglofs synthetic bag with the same foot arrangement. It is quite handy to be fair :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Many comparable options cost a similar amount; quick look on ultralightoutdoorgear reveals that most comparable options are actually a more expensive.

The other thing is, in such a lightweight system you incorporate so little down, H-baffles start to make less sense. Quite a few manufacturers go down the same lane on their lightest sleeping systems and I've been thinking lots and doing calculations on volume concerning a selfmade 250-300 g down summer quilt and think I'd go stitch through too. And to be honest, I overthink the sh!t out of my self made stuff.

My summer quilt (synthetic) weighs 300 g and is hardly used without a down or synthetic filled jumper and was spot on for quite a few trips during the summer months across the UK, also up northern most Scotland, Orkney and Shetland during the cold weather of May/June 2015. It keeps me warm till about 7-8 °C. Alright'ish around 5. Not okay at - 5 °C (Easter in the Alps - not summer some might say, but I needed to now its limits), but if it's just one night, it won't kill you.

I'm convinced this Ralphi stuff handles the same temp range making it spot on for at least 6 months in the UK for folks with similar temperature sensitivity to mine.
whitestone wrote:But if "racing" then you are either riding or getting in/out of your bag and kipping in it not faffing about.
Very true, but then what about those moments in summer when you're not racing and like to faff about? I guess you could have one sleeping system for two styles of outdoor activities with little compromise.

I'm a cumulus fan and have never liked the pied d'éléphant idea nor ever felt inclined to get Ralphi stuff, but from what I can tell, I think they did a good job.
And having had a look through what else they have, I quite like the commuter trousers and winter bibs.
Was that a disclaimer?

Lets face it, all companies in the higher end segment use the same or extremely similar fabrics and insulation. You can even buy that stuff online. Very, very little innovation here.

But, Ralphi is the only one to think about reflective elements.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: But, Ralphi is the only one to think about reflective elements.
Not sure I understand that bit.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I've seen many down jackets but not yet any with reflective elements 'till Ralphi introduced theirs.

The way I use my down clothing it's highly unlikely I'll be using it for riding in and if, surely not somewhere I have to expect traffic, but for roadies.. that fast descent from the Alpine pass during a TCR early in the morning, feeling hungry. I do see that. And others...

But then, no hydro down... nobody's perfect.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah yes. I prefer synthetic for that application and there are quite a few options with reflectives.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Why buy outdoor gear from experienced experts like PHD, Rab, ME, etc, when you can buy it from a fashion brand and get some stripes that match your jersey?

Might take a look if they turn up in the 'archive clubhouse' (Raphy-speak for outlet store) for half-price, but for now I'll stick with companies who have been designing and manufacturing their own kit for years, rather than branding a product made for them.