Garmin RAM mounts worth the extra £sass

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

postierich

Garmin RAM mounts worth the extra £sass

Post by postierich »

Just got a as new Garmin Extrex 30 and looking at mounts I,ve borrowed an Extrex before and was always jumping out of the bog standard holder luckily it had a lanyard attached. Found the standard mounts to be quite ratterly. The RAM look quite solid but will be around £30 including postage just wondering if anyone uses them and would recommend!
https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/garmin-etre ... 9_659.html

Rich
ianfitz

Re: Garmin RAM mounts worth the extra £sass

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve never had any problems with the standard (genuine Garmin) version in the past.

Have heard that a strip of gorilla tape on the bracket can reduce bounce out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use standard Garmin mounts on all my bikes for my Oregon. I've once had the Oregon jump out - because I failed to put it in properly, and once thought I'd lost it as it came off during an OTB. It was still attached to my bars via the lanyard and t was still attached to the mount. I'd ripped apart the zipties when I hit it
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Get a standard mount and put a strip or two of electrical tape on the bracket to tighten up where the unit back slides into the rails. Still rattling? A bit more tape. Thousands of miles without an ejection here after adding elec tape. But definitely use a lanyard too.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

That Ram thing looks ridiculous - could not put anything so clunky on my bike!

Fortunately no need as the standard Garmin Etrex mount works fine, although i much prefer the twist mounts on the Edge series devices.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Mine got ejected so many times I put the RAM Amount on -

a few points
1. no need for a lanyard it is not going anywhere
2. Its protects it from OTB and impact in general
3. you can fit a spare set of batteries in it underneath - probably four if you really cared
4. I dont care how pretty or ugly it looks.

I much prefer it to the garmin mount and even those who praise seem to advise modifying it with tape to work
Your choice - an ugly one that holds it and protects it or a nice looking one that may eject it and offers little protection in a crash
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've ridden thousands of miles on all sorts of surfaces using a standard mount with no lanyard, my Etrex is still in one piece and has never ejected itself or rattled so much I couldn't see it. I'd say go with the standard mount.
techno

Post by techno »

Is the difference between the generic etrex mounts (from eBay etc) and the genuine Garmin etrex mounts possibly the reason some people hate and some people love them and others less so?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

My experience is with the Dakota 20 and I also got fed up with rattling and ejection from standard mounts. (I tried some cheap copies and they were worse). They never lasted long so I got a RAM mount about three years ago and swap it between bikes easily ever since and it has never ejected the unit. I use a lanyard just in case. I think I would have spent more than £30 on standard mounts in that time. Not the most attractive unit to be fair.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blackhound wrote:My experience is with the Dakota 20 and I also got fed up with rattling and ejection from standard mounts. (I tried some cheap copies and they were worse). They never lasted long so I got a RAM mount about three years ago and swap it between bikes easily ever since and it has never ejected the unit. I use a lanyard just in case. I think I would have spent more than £30 on standard mounts in that time. Not the most attractive unit to be fair.
+1 pretty much my experience. Being able to swap the cradle between bikes with just a twist of and on is very useful. You can also squeeze a light mount in underneath it.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Ordered one yesterday I have form with losing Garmins so will go for the ugly option :-)