Winter Miles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Winter Miles

Post by FLV »

In some strange attempt to get fit and competitive at these ITT things I have been trying to get out and get plenty of rides in.
Its not easy to stay motivated when all my riding pals are saying no-way to evening rides so it inevitably means getting out and putting in miles alone.

The boredom of road riding at night is killing me! I'm not sure how sustainable even a couple of 30milers is on your own in an evening.

Does anybody have any tips on keeping the motivation going, perhaps some pearl of wisdom to keep me off the sofa with the inevitable glass of beer.

Also - anybody want a weeknight training partner for the Leamington Spa area?

ta muchly
Chew

Re: Winter Miles

Post by Chew »

Think road riding at night would bore me to death as well, but off road night riding 8-)

Give it a couple of weeks until the ground starts to freeze and its game on.
slarge

Post by slarge »

FLV,
there's a few groups go out around Leamington - the Bike Yard shop does some mid week and weekend rides, plus Mike Vaughans in Kenilworth does a Weds night ride I think. Kenilworth Wheelers do a Weds night from Cubbington, and Sat/Sun rides from Warwick Castle.

I'm in Beausale if you ever want to hook up for a ride, but I'm off the bike for a few more weeks post op recovery, and I do find a regular ride difficult to fit in (hence I won't join clubs etc). Try riding to and from work - that's a brilliant way of getting miles in and it's free training (and saves fuel).

Are you in Leamington only in the week (your profile says north Peak)?
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Most of my riding is solo & often on the roads at night. I can highly recommend finding some good podcasts to listen to 8-)
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

FLV wrote: The boredom of road riding at night is killing me...Does anybody have any tips on keeping the motivation going
Some random thoughts that might help:

Commuting gives you purpose to the boredom.
Use a program like 'Radio Downloader' to rip radio progs from the iplayer to listen whilst you're on the bike.
Tell everybody in earshot what you're doing / when you're riding / how double-hard you are then you feel obliged to go through with it.
Mudguards and mudflaps look awful, but are worth their weight in gold.
Tinker with your bike(s) occasionally to get that 'I ought to go out and check whether that works/worked' feeling.
Join the local road club (after a bit of research confirming they do evening training rides). There's always someone who is keener than you, that might motivate you to join in / go out with them.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Really good info cheers :D

I'm starting working just outside leamington for 6 to 12 months in just over a week so was hoping to get some good midweek miles in over the winter and get my fitness right up over the winter in time to takle some serious ITT stuff (I hope anyway).

Getting started seems to be the biggest thing at the moment and finding local rides is always a bonus.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well, I'm in leamington now.
Trying a line ride to tonight, have plotted a route on bikehike and will plug it into the GPS

I wonder if it will be underwater!!
paul78

Post by paul78 »

All of the above really.

I have little or no motivation or time to do decent rides mid week so do a few 60-90 minute turbo sessions, the odd run and a swim.

Weekends I get in my longer rides .. much prefer to use a cross bike than a road bike and I spend a little time planning my weekend ride at weekend to keep things interesting I mix up on and off road and explore a little to get the miles in.

Will usually do 5-6 hours on a Saturday then something fun and shorter on a Sunday.

Podcasts are a god send for solo rides :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
slarge

Post by slarge »

FLV,
head south from Leamington down towards Napton / Kineton/Edge Hill area - (and Burton Dassett), much nicer than heading north.

North has a fair bit of flooding at the moment on some of the back roads round Kenilworth etc.

And avoid off road. It is utter crap at the moment (and will be until 2020 with the rain we've had).
FLV

Post by FLV »

I went north and east, it was wet... managed 20 miles of road / mud plugging

i may have to take up running at this rate :(
FLV

Post by FLV »

Though I would try to ressurect this a little.

I tried running, I dont like it.

I'm back in the area again now after the xmas break and keen to start putting in some miles.
Looking at what you guys said up there, I dont suppose anybody has any gpx's of rides worthwhile in the area or fancies showing me around at all?
gairym

Post by gairym »

FLV wrote:I tried running, I dont like it.
have you tried off-road running as it's a different ball-game entirely!

i hate the monotony of road running but running cross-country i love!

i also find that it doesn't aggravate my knackered knees (or other old injuries) like the constant pounding your joints receive on tarmac. apparently it's something to do with constant different foot placement locations of off-road running as opposed to repetitive predictable foot placement on the road.

just a thought.
spockster

Post by spockster »

Hi I live down the road in Meriden and are always out both on and off road most weeks.

I have been off my bike for 3 months as I have just passed my summer mountain leader award before Xmas and so spent all my time walking in the mountains recently.

I'm now getting the miles in again in 2013

I belong to this mtb club and there are several rides a week in the local area including leamington on occasions.

http://www.godivatrailriders.org/index.shtml

There are a lot of 29er SS riders in the club as this is the best bike for the areas we ride round.

Drop me a pm if your interested in meeting up. Im looking to get into bikepacking and hope to drag some other club members to BB events this year.

Cheers

Paul
slarge

Post by slarge »

FLV,
drop me a note (email in profile). There's a few of us who do a Tuesday night ride from Beausale - we go out through Shrewley, Claverdon, Snitterfield - it's a 30km steady ride. Either that or tie up with the Bikeyard bike shop - they have regular evening rides (I don't go out with them, but they have a few groups). More than happy to do some other rides out as well, but need to keep home happy so it tends to be Tuesdays and commuting.

Spokster - let me know if you're doing the El n Back and want to share a lift - I am in Beausale so just down the road.