For the Pack Raft curious

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

For the Pack Raft curious

Post by JohnClimber »

I canoe'd a bit on my twenties but never since discovering climbing then cycling.

Like some of you I've had an eye on pack rafts for the last few months and I've spent my time researching the best one for my needs.

I liked the Iron Raft but wouldn't trust my DIY skills to be comfortable with me, my bike and gear on top of one of them to cross water on.
I'm sure they are great, but not for me.

A dig around the back of the sofa, raided my secret (wife doesn't know about) bank account and bought what I wanted.

I bought the new grey colour Alpacka Caribou from Backcountry Scotland after many emails to and from with Andy the owner.

It was ordered with a 4 piece paddle and basic lift jacket to start with and away I went.

6 or 7 paddles/floats/adventures later I think I can safely say I'm so glad I bought this set up.

The Caribou is the only Alpacka raft specifically designed that is to carry weights such as bikes and camping gear or even Alaskan or Canadian hunters "prizes"
https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/product/caribou/
"Unlike anything else on the market, the Late Rise Bow still provides a rocker to shed waves and whitewater, but it moves beginning of the rocker in front of the bow’s mounted load. The result is a broad stable platform for mounting bulky and heavy items like bicycles that carries them high and keeps them out of the water when paddling. And, the load remains balanced and stable on both water and land."

When it's loaded it's very, very stable, when it's un laidened the front is high up, meaning the square fronted load carrying area is above the top of the waves so it skims around the water like any other pack raft.

Anyway enough of all this here are some pictures, if you have any questions please let me know below.

Tiny size

2520grams including a drybag with straps to pull it tight.

Here it is on the bag of my 29er in the Wildcat Harness, on the front is the lift vest and paddle

Loaded with my 29er+ and all the gear for an overnight bivi on Coniston.

Loaded with the 29er+ and my overnight gear on land showing how stable it is

It even fits on the "gravel" bike.

Unloaded on the sea
RIP

Re: For the Pack Raft curious

Post by RIP »

Ace. That last one really shows the monster prow. So, freely navigate tidal waters (and bivi on the foreshore as we know), buy a canal permit (and fishing permit so can 24-hr bivi on the bank) and check local instructions for everything else?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote:Ace. That last one really shows the monster prow. So, freely navigate tidal waters (and bivi on the foreshore as we know), buy a canal permit (and fishing permit so can 24-hr bivi on the bank) and check local instructions for everything else?
Or go to Scotland and paddle and camp anywhere....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Indeed - can't fault you there really :smile:. I guess there's a midge-net add-on for the raft as well :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

So kicking myself for not grabbing one of those years back! They just look like so much fun
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

rando nomad wrote:So kicking myself for not grabbing one of those years back! They just look like so much fun
Why not grab one now?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

You're going to get me in trouble John, I now really want one of these but I've a list of things GS to buy first :lol:
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

@ John Climber
Years back (around 2004-2006) I worked for Feathercraft folding kayaks in Vancouver Canada. We were contracted to make the Alpacka Rafts for them. Sheri would come into town every 4 months or so for a week and work on design ideas and such with my boss. Being into sea kayaks and MTB's, I totally failed to see the bike friendly aspect to them at the time. I probably could have gotten a pretty good price on one back then, thus the kicking myself aspect. They fold down so small, they'd take up no room in the basement if not needed, unlike the double folding kayak I still have :roll:
psling

Post by psling »

John's latest paddle makes BBC News....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... se-in-york

:grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There's definitely a likeness :grin: