levarg goes main stream

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

levarg goes main stream

Post by Mariner »

https://road.cc/content/feature/250241- ... n-and-more

You will have to read it to find out what Gravel levarg means. :roll:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Asposium

Re: levarg goes main stream

Post by Asposium »

With so many gravel bikes being fitted with a Sram groupset hopefully Shimano will get its finger out and release a 1x mega-range-cassette drop-bar-shifter groupset

Not holding my breath
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You will have to read it to find out what Gravel levarg means
So good they named it twice

Dropper and suspension on a gravel adventure bike just seems all kinds of wrong to me ,IME gravel requires neither of these things and if you need suspension and a post take a MTB and be done with it.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Lazarus wrote:
You will have to read it to find out what Gravel levarg means
So good they named it twice

Dropper and suspension on a gravel adventure bike just seems all kinds of wrong to me ,IME gravel requires neither of these things and if you need suspension and a post take a MTB and be done with it.
Sometimes i can see the benefit of a short-travel lightweight suspension fork on a gravel bike, but yes, a dropper post just seems wrong.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Agreed; lightweight suspension is good for longer off-road tours (which basically means Lauf), but dropper - negative! If that’s needed then it is MTB terrain.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

How about a Koga Beachracer

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Agreed; lightweight suspension is good for longer off-road tours (which basically means Lauf), but dropper - negative! If that’s needed then it is MTB terrain.
Having recently delved into the murky depths of dropper posts and found them to be sporadically quite handy, I can see that it may have a benefit on a gravel bike if you find yourself in the wrong place (ie heading down a steep slope, being unable to get your arse over the back of the seat due to a seat pack so heading for face plant central) but its very much the exception that a bit of common sense should avoid....
jameso

Post by jameso »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Agreed; lightweight suspension is good for longer off-road tours (which basically means Lauf), but dropper - negative! If that’s needed then it is MTB terrain.
I'd have a dropper before a sus fork on a bike like this ('like this' is a bit grey area anyway... but still). To me needing the sus fork it the thing that says I'd rather have an MTB there. The dropper lets me handle a rigid bike better and for me, if it has drop bars it may as well be rigid too. Sus fork, may as well have the bigger bars.

Subjective stuff though, not saying there's a right/wrong. Will be interesting to see what sticks in this cross-over area.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

With my gravel bike I find other factors result in a “reverse fart” well before the need for a dropper post.

Skinny tyres, drop bars, rigid forks

But, it’s a gravel bike, not a mountain bike.
There are times I’m underbiked; however, on the gravel tracks the gravel bike cruises along like a road bike on tarmac.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not sure i would ever actually attempt anything that required me to drop my seat on a drop bar bike - if you cannot easily pick a line [slowly] I am going to be hammering my rim anyway.

I have ridden it in the lakes but if i think i could do with a dropper right now I will be off and walking.
YMMV
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote:Not sure i would ever actually attempt anything that required me to drop my seat on a drop bar bike - if you cannot easily pick a line [slowly] I am going to be hammering my rim anyway.
I know what you mean, I don't generally want the dropper for steep trails, more for the ability to move about the bike a bit better but the gravel bike isn't as easy to hop or move around generally as an MTB. It isn't meant to be / it won't be if it's any good at it's main aim, though that mostly depends on where your own tipping point or preferences are anyway.