Unusual place on the Spanish C2C route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Unusual place on the Spanish C2C route

Post by pistonbroke »

I've been tweaking the route for next year's Tarragona-Bilbao trip, including some more off road sections and interesting sights. When recceing one bit just south of Burgos,I came across this https://goo.gl/images/FPw5Aq which is a location used in the Spaghetti Western The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It was the scene of a final 3 way gunfight between Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. What remains a mystery is why this location, which is 800km north of the more famous Spaghetti Western sites in Almeria, was used. It will definitely be included in the new route, read into that what you will :wink:
johnnystorm

Re: Unusual place on the Spanish C2C route

Post by johnnystorm »

Following your link there is a youtube trailer about the unearthing of the site. In the comments one fella says theres another similar site in the US that needs rebuilding too. He goes onto say he has a bit of it at home! :roll: He's got the wrong idea about leave no trace!
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Photo of 3 bikepackers facing off in the centre circle - oarsum! What a place to visit :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - great name fo ran epic BP trip.

Got a date pencilled in for next years C2C yet?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

We’re all still waiting to see a write-up about this years trip!!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Craig, it's looking likely that the dates will be the same, pro rata, as last year and this i.e 10-19th of May so after the WRT, there's no clash with the Jennride this year as it's moved to July I think. Some reasonable deals on flights to Reus and back from Bilbao for then as well.
Jason, not sure whether there's a great deal to add to Dave's excellent report, the itinerary was different with a bigger first day and this worked better than the first trip but only because everybody was able to get to the start earlier on the Friday. The last day was better as I found a traffic free route into Bilbao and we finished at a campsite overlooking the Atlantic near where Hux and Mike carried on to.
I've made quite a few mods to next year's route without changing to overall feel of the trip, a bit more off road and a few ideal bivvy spots. I'll probably put a more expansive post together next month but we're in the middle of decorating the house at the moment. We got our tourist licence last month so can now start our b&b, bike guiding business officially.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Good news on the licence. Starting a new job in January, so not sure how the holiday situation is going to work yet. Definitely keen for some more Iberian adventure!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Congrats on that. I remember you saying what a pain it had all ended up being.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thanks for that. As ZDB will testify, I got a phone call as I was starting the climb of the Colombano on the TNR from a guy who works at the town hall in our village and is a keen cyclist. He said I should call into the office as the paperwork was ready. I explained my situation and we went in as soon as we got back from Nice. We expected the signing of the application to be just another of the many hurdles that we've had to negotiate but we simply had to pay the €30 fee and were presented with our licence number and documents. We have to pay a small per capita tax whenever someone stays but basically that's it. We probably won't start taking bookings until next spring but if anyone fancies some winter sun and guided rides, let me know via the PM's. Btw, Stuart is relaxed about me advertising this on the site.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Slight thread resurrection as I found this on YouTube https://youtu.be/c9EpsSyeTuA which gives an up to date view on the area, the first 9 mins or so follows the proposed route of this new section. (Not the sketchy downhill)