Cycling /Hiking boots suggestions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Cycling /Hiking boots suggestions

Post by Asposium »

Hi All,

Seeking thoughts, opinions and options.....

Looking for cycling boots (shimano SPD) that give some ankle support.
A hybrid between a cycling boot and a hiking boot.
Appreciate a cycling boot will never offer the same level of ankle support as a walking boot.
Doesn't need to be waterproof .....wouldn't have helped during BB200

Anyone have recommendations?
The Shimano XM9 (review here) looks favourite at the moment; however, open to other suggestions.
ScotRoutes

Re: Cycling /Hiking boots suggestions

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had the much older version of the Shimanos and they pretty much fit your description. The only issue I ever had was that the cleat reduced grip on rocky areas when walking. Crossing rivers on stepping stones was always a bit dodgy. I just wear ordinary walking boots and use flat pedals now. The choice is greater.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I like XM9's. I had a pair of their predecessors for about 10years and got the XM9's this year.
For bikepacking and HAB they are great.
I used a set as my only shoes on a 7 month trip when I first got them.
Combined with a proper gaiter they can stay dry for a long time although mine were wet well before the first ford on this years BB200. The Gore lining then traps in water. This is good in so far as they then have a kind of wet suit effect and stay warm. On the other hand it makes them pretty heavy.
The lining will then take longer than an average ventilated cycling shoe to dry out.The cleat is well recessed with Crank Bros cleats so walking is fine and the Vibram sole grippy on all sorts of surfaces.
I found them comfortable from the off with no real break in period. If you accept the wear on the cleat they are a good walking boot. My old ones took me to Annapurna base camp, a 6ish day trek with a bit of snow at times - no problems, and are great when shouldering a bike in places like the Lakes.
I asked a similar question on a thread when getting the new XM9's earlier in the year. No one came up with anything that is similar i.e. SPD proper walking boot style. I did consider 45nrth Japanther but was advised that they are much more a cycling shoe for cycling in rather than HAB.
I guess if you use flat pedals then your footwear options rise exponentially.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

10years.....I’m waiting for mine to wear out as they are a little tight (size up!) they are a great boot apart from turning into buckets in a real downpour
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The new XM9's are pretty true to size where the older legacy version were a little narrow at the toes.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

2 of the 4 of us who did the mammoth Nepal HAB trip early last year used those Shimanos, from what I remember w/o cleats and on flats, they both really rated them. Enough that I'd buy a pair for my next trip that was going to be HAB-heavy. I used my well-used light Scarpa mountain boots on flats and they were good but the Shimanos seemed lighter and a bit stiffer as well as lower profile in the sole, a bit better for pedalling I'd expect.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As a wildcard suggestion ... have you thought about using flats? The world is very much your oyster then.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:As a wildcard suggestion ... have you thought about using flats? The world is very much your oyster then.
:o

Not really. Can’t imagine going back to non-SPD

But do need more ankle support for HAB.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Have a look at Mavic xa pro Dave ,pricey like very pricey but they tick your boxes
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Asposium wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:As a wildcard suggestion ... have you thought about using flats? The world is very much your oyster then.
:o

Not really. Can’t imagine going back to non-SPD

But do need more ankle support for HAB.
I always ride spd but went back to flats on my full-suss for this years trip to the Pyrenees. Liked it :-bd
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Some0ne mentioned Polaris on another thread so off I went to see what they have nowadays.....

and they have an spd Mtb boot. Good price too, proper laces, full vibram aggro sole and waterproof too.
https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Shre ... 4795-p.htm
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Like the look of the Shredder Boot but one general question without high-jacking the thread - is it best to go for a waterproof boot or not?

My first pair of mtb boots were approach shoes. Too mean to pay for Gtex until the very first puddle when I got wet feet.
Thereafter used Gtex boots that just fill with run off from my over trousers when it rained so added gaiters. Great until you have to wade.
Others use waterproof socks so what do you use them with?
Keen type open self draining or closed Gtex?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You can't really beat the xm9's. I've tried various ones inc the older MT91's and these beat everything hands down in terms of durability, support, comfort and waterproofness. Sizing is funny though and I know a few people who just don't fit them whatever.
Mariner wrote:Like the look of the Shredder Boot but one general question without high-jacking the thread - is it best to go for a waterproof boot or not?

My first pair of mtb boots were approach shoes. Too mean to pay for Gtex until the very first puddle when I got wet feet.
Thereafter used Gtex boots that just fill with run off from my over trousers when it rained so added gaiters. Great until you have to wade.
Others use waterproof socks so what do you use them with?
Keen type open self draining or closed Gtex?
If you have to wade take socks and insoles out, wade, empty water, put everything back on again. Faffy but = warm and dry feet.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

This probably isn't much help, but I have a pair of Specialized Sawpits. I really like these and they had lots of good reviews but don't seem to be available any more. Unfortunately the soles are starting to break up and I need to replace, so far haven't found anything else I like.
ton

Post by ton »

WALKING/RIDING FRANKENBOOTS

Image2018-10-23_02-24-13 by 20ston, on Flickr