Good Luck BBers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Good Luck BBers

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote:I assume that at least one of those riders was disqualified?
Harsh but true.
However those fords were very marginal. No one wants to drown for the sake of a BB Badge.
At least one of those riders if not both DNF anyway.
Throw lines on next years mandatory gear list?
Last edited by lune ranger on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I’m no river crossing expert but that looks a dodgy as feck method of attempting it.
Karl

Post by Karl »

This comment makes me nervous. Under normal circumstances this would be outside assistance, but at that moment it's just looking out for our fellow rider. This is what makes bikepacking great! Those river crossing were big challenges and we all make the best decisions we can in those moment. I don't want someone in the future not helping or accepting help in these extenuating circumstances in fear of being DNF'd.
PJG

Post by PJG »

Karl wrote:
This comment makes me nervous. Under normal circumstances this would be outside assistance, but at that moment it's just looking out for our fellow rider. This is what makes bikepacking great! Those river crossing were big challenges and we all make the best decisions we can in those moment. I don't want someone in the future not helping or accepting help in these extenuating circumstances in fear of being DNF'd.
Agreed, it's easy to strictly apply the rules from a comfy seat. Those conditions were extreme, and people were just automatically helping each other without thinking about the rules.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Karl wrote:
It would be stupid to turn down (or not offer ) help in those circumstances but it's not then an ITT and those doing it individually would be unfairly disadvantaged in not having that back-up. It should be known as the Jenny Graham rule :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I assumed he was just taking the mickey with his comment
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Karl wrote:
Letting someone slip over and drown so as not to break the rules seems to break rule 1. If it wasn't a fellow rider and just a walker would you have to turn down their help or is that then trail magic? The crossings early on were very dangerous and I heard of a few close calls. The water was very fast, deep and due to the volume they were wider than normal, and lets not forget this isn't a race.

Edit. When Duncan had a puncture I didn't help him fix it even though I had some tyre plugs handy, he had to dig out his from his kit. When Karl's bar tape came un-wrapped I didn't offer him a cable tie to hold the loose end on, sorry Karl. There's self supported rules but not in my opinion if a life is at stake. I'm not being dramatic, if you were washed away at those crossing you'd be smashed into the rocks downstream.
Last edited by sean_iow on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

What time is the cut off? Assume the one for 200 has passed and presumably the 300 is now-ish?
Anyone still out there?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The 300 was 36 hours and the last starters were just after 8am so they have missed out on the badge if not finished by now. I don't think there's anyone from the 300 left out on the course.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

:shock:

Hope all are back safe and sound in a dry & warm place.

Was thinking of you during a little 2 day ride in the polar opposite of conditions.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Have a little word with yourself. :shock:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: It would be stupid to turn down (or not offer ) help in those circumstances but it's not then an ITT and those doing it individually would be unfairly disadvantaged in not having that back-up. It should be known as the Jenny Graham rule :lol:
Anyone who chooses to do an ITT of a BB200/BB300 route could choose not to go out in a storm, which would be a good idea :lol: but as it's not a race and there is no list of times anyone doing an ITT would be doing it just for fun :???: without even a tee shirt or a badge, so instead they should really seek professional help :lol: as I sit here now drinking a beer I'm thinking one orange badge is enough for anyone :lol: but I thought that when I finished the HT550 yet the kit I took at the weekend was basically my 2019 HT550 kit to test some new gear so that thought must of slipped away once I stopped aching :grin: It was a good test for waterproof kit!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote::grin: It was a good test for waterproof kit!
:lol: Think I just pee'd myself laughing.
Test result being nothing is waterproof in that weather.
My brand new XM9 boots, brand new seal skin socks and full length goretex gaiters lasted approximately 90mins.
Thank god it was so warm otherwise we'd all be dead!
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was careful not to say any of it was waterproof. I did wonder if the wind meant the rain was hitting the fabric hard enough to exceed the hydrostatic head rating, like when you kneel down in some waterproof trousers and get a wet knee. When I was in the scouts in the 80s our waterproofs weren't breathable so you got wet from sweating, but you were warm. You'd chill down a bit when you stopped though. Now you get wet from the rain and are cold even when moving if you're not going hard enough to generate lots of heat :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just arrived back home.

Kenny was the last 300 rider back in and claimed his orange badge with 2 MINUTES to spare ... good work that man.

More thoughts tomorrow when I've had something to eat and a kip but a very genuine well done to everyone who set off yesterday whether you finished or not. If anyone is looking for inspiration ... All of you are the absolute embodiment.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Post by Matt »

:-bd

As ever big thanks to you and Dee

I only did 20km and I’m knackered :-)
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

I would like to echo Matts thanks to Stu and Dee for all their hard work in organising the event. However, as this was my first 200, I feel I should point out that I may be due a refund as I believe I was miss sold the event in question. I was under the impression it was a bike ride rather than a swim!
Hope to get to sit on my saddle next year!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Might be a new piece of essential equipment on the list for next years event - sleeping bag, shelter, snorkel.

Greetz

S.
slarge

Post by slarge »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Karl wrote:
It would be stupid to turn down (or not offer ) help in those circumstances but it's not then an ITT and those doing it individually would be unfairly disadvantaged in not having that back-up. It should be known as the Jenny Graham rule :lol:
It's not an ITT anyway. It's a challenge ride. Comments like this make me think negatively of some people and their comfy armchairs.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Yeah, thanks Stuart and Dee. Bacon buns and tea especially appreciated.
Thanks also for having the courage in the ethos of the event and not cancelling due to the weather. Many others would. You knew your competitors (entrants is maybe better) would make there own choices.
Whether someone helped with our bike or not we all had help at the fords. Those first through had folk around them. Everyone else at the very least knew others had gone before them and it could be done.
Everyone who set off - well bloody done - it doesn't matter what badge, no badge or scratch. You went out into the hills when others didn't want to leave home.
WSC
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Lazarus wrote:I assumed he was just taking the mickey with his comment
Same here!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When I got to the crux river crossing I was in the lead pair of a spread out group of six. We waited and aided each other across. People come first, self/event imposed "rules" a distant second (or lower). We are talking about this http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=27 ... &ay=289081 stream, the larger river, Afon Hengwm, was a torrent and no way crossable except by the footbridge.

The problem with "knowing" that others have gone through before is something of a poisoned chalice: how high was the water when they got there? Did they cross at the same point? Etc. It happens that that particular stream is fed by a tarn which smooths out rises and falls so was likely to be similar throughout the time we were passing. I'm not sure if I'd have crossed had I been on my own whether in an "event" or not but then I'm somewhat unnerved by fast flowing water.

Many thanks to Dee and Stu for another (thought provoking) event
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

In my case knowing meant seeing people go through, and yes we also stopped and watched the next man through.
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

youtube video now unavailable? was enjoying showing it to my pals as a record of the fortitude in This Place.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Matt wrote::-bd

As ever big thanks to you and Dee

I only did 20km and I’m knackered :-)
I did about same as you matt and thought sod it :lol:

Big thanks stu&Dee

Need to have a go at wack the rat again :wink:
Trying to ride bikes.