There is no new black ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

There is no new black ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

for the 18 riders doing the BB300, there is only orange.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Re: There is no new black ...

Post by ssnowman »

So, orange really is the new black :wink:
May satan walk with you
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Ooooo

A new badge.

No pressure then.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A new badge.
Did you think there'd not be one? :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The question remains... what's the cut off time?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richard G wrote:The question remains... what's the cut off time?
Wednesday
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I'm seeing the cut-off time as optional.

If I'm still out on the course, and Stu wants to lock up and go home, will ask him to leave a bacon sandwich /cake /whatever under the car for when i eventually return.

Have booked Monday morning off work. :P

----
As an aside, wasn't planning on taking my inReach.
However, would it be useful if i were to activate (have a month-to-month subscription) and take with me?
Can then look at my tracking page for progress.
If no-one will care or look will save myself 37 quid.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:for the 18 riders doing the BB300, there is only orange.
...or nowt. :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm assuming by the other social media bits that say "36 hours of hell" that is the time limit.... but it doesn't expressly state that, it might by 36 hours of hell and another 36 hours of fun riding on easy tracks... but seems unlikely :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I had 36 hours in my head from the discussion before... but I'm still wondering just how likely it is.

I mean, sub 24 on some BB200s is tough, so half the time again to go another 100km might be crazy hard. :???:

I freaked myself out a bit by considering that it's not far off half the distance I covered during TNR. :lol:
Dave Barter wrote:Wednesday
Sold!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I want an orange badge :cry:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote:I had 36 hours in my head from the discussion before... but I'm still wondering just how likely it is.

I mean, sub 24 on some BB200s is tough, so half the time again to go another 100km might be crazy hard. :???:

I freaked myself out a bit by considering that it's not far off half the distance I covered during TNR. :lol:
Sold!
I had a sudden realisation of how hard this will be last week, I've had that anxious nervous feeling ever since :| For example, the HT550 is (obviously) 550 miles and there's an 8 day cut-off to be classified as a finisher. That's an average of 68 miles a day. At that pace a rider will still be 84 miles from the end of the BB300 at the 36 hour mark :o Oh, and thers's more climbing per mile in Wales as well.

Obviously it's comparing apples with oranges to some extent as they are different events and the HT550 is multi-day which has different demands.

300km in 36 hours, 7000m of climbing, in Wales, off road.... no wonder only 18 people put their name down :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm just praying that my rib will be healed up by then. Doing this crap (especially pushing the bike) with a broken rib is going to be a nightmare.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Richard G wrote:I'm just praying that my rib will be healed up by then. Doing this crap (especially pushing the bike) with a broken rib is going to be a nightmare.
Broken rib is why I'm out (and the bike is a bit smashed from said incident) :sad:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote:I'm just praying that my rib will be healed up by then. Doing this crap (especially pushing the bike) with a broken rib is going to be a nightmare.
You did all right last year on the BB200 pushing up Carnau as you had a cracked rib then? Although did you do that earlier that day? Along with the shifter lever.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

sean_iow wrote:
Richard G wrote:I had 36 hours in my head from the discussion before... but I'm still wondering just how likely it is.

Sold!
I had a sudden realisation of how hard this will be last week, I've had that anxious nervous feeling ever since :| For example, the HT550 is (obviously) 550 miles and there's an 8 day cut-off to be classified as a finisher. That's an average of 68 miles a day. At that pace a rider will still be 84 miles from the end of the BB300 at the 36 hour mark :o Oh, and thers's more climbing per mile in Wales as well.

Obviously it's comparing apples with oranges to some extent as they are different events and the HT550 is multi-day which has different demands.

300km in 36 hours, 7000m of climbing, in Wales, off road.... no wonder only 18 people put their name down :lol:

It's sums like these that make me glad that I didn't take the plunge for the 300!

:shock: :shock:

Si
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Zippy wrote:Broken rib is why I'm out (and the bike is a bit smashed from said incident) :sad:
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Heal well! Lots of calories, calcium and protein!

Edit - Ahh, I had the sense not to do that slab when I was there recently. :???:
sean_iow wrote:You did all right last year on the BB200 pushing up Carnau as you had a cracked rib then? Although did you do that earlier that day? Along with the shifter lever.
Yeah, it's different on the day. You don't really stiffen up too much until far later so you have to make hay whilst the sun shines...

Assuming you can deal with the initial pain anyway.

(pro at breaking ribs here! :lol:)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can confirm that the cut off for the 300 will be 36 glorious hours :-bd I'm also going to ask that 300 riders prepare themselves to set off between 7.00am and 8.00am on Sat morning ... rather than 8.00am - 10.00am as for the 200.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I can confirm that the cut off for the 300 will be 36 glorious hours :-bd I'm also going to ask that 300 riders prepare themselves to set off between 7.00am and 8.00am on Sat morning ... rather than 8.00am - 10.00am as for the 200.
Want to keep the incurable ones from mingling with those that might yet be saved? :wink:

How much of route will both sets of riders do before a split? Hopefully not all the way to next to my car, then out again for another 100k! I'm wondering whether there'll be the faster 200 riders catching the slower 300 riders after a while. I remember a 12 hour lapped MTB race I did where the solo riders were given different rear reflectives to ziptie to their saddle so people could offer commiserations as they passed during the evening. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How much of route will both sets of riders do before a split? Hopefully not all the way to next to my car, then out again for another 100k! I'm wondering whether there'll be the faster 200 riders catching the slower 300 riders after a while.
In the great scheme, the first split comes fairly early on. However, a 300 rider seting off at 7.45 could easily be caught by a 200 rider who's set off at 8.00 ... it'll all come good in the wash :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

This does mean though stu by doing the 300 iv not actually done this years 200 so i will obviously have to do that at a later date this year also, and it will get me miles on Slarge :lol: :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mike wrote:This does mean though stu by doing the 300 iv not actually done this years 200 so i will obviously have to do that at a later date this year also, and it will get me miles on Slarge :lol: :lol:
You’ll be expected to ride the 300 on sat, then the 200 on Sunday
:grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

:shock: not in this life dave
slarge

Post by slarge »

I might do the 300 twice - just to stay ahead of Mike..... :-bd

(This could, of course, be bollocks)
Mike