There is no new black ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: There is no new black ...

Post by Dave Barter »

Just over 5mph needed and remember Stu normally adds a bit ..;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mike wrote:How about whoever loses Steve, has to do the 200 as their runners up prize :-bd
That’ll be me then. :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote:Just over 5mph needed and remember Stu normally adds a bit ..;-)
Sounds easy doesn't it... except for all the bits you'll be walking through / swearing at. :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:Just over 5mph needed and remember Stu normally adds a bit ..;-)
Sounds easy doesn't it... except for all the bits you'll be walking through / swearing at. :lol:
Maybe it will be 300km of smooth tarmac and easy fire roads.

Yeah, I know, this is stu we’re talking about; it will be a case of “track? What track!” And pushing downhill because said “track” isn’t rideable.
Last edited by Asposium on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Asposium wrote:
Richard G wrote:
Maybe it will be 300km or smooth tarmac...
You've entered the wrong event: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-618/ :wink: That's not what I'm hoping for otherwise it'll be like everything else I do for the rest of the year.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I sway one way or the other on this. At my worst, I think along the lines that Steve Large did the TransCambrian double in 28 hours. He hardly slept, he’s dead quick and I’ve a feeling the BB300 will be harder per km than the TCW, so 36 hours could be tight. :???:

On a good day, I’m thinking a 7am start gives my until past tea time on Sunday. That’s, like, ages :wink:

But don’t forget, folks, there’s a new badge :cool:
I feel fairly well qualified to say that the first ever BB200 probably wouldn’t have been ridden in under 24 hours if Stu hadn’t announced at the last minute that anyone getting under that time would get a black badge.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hmm. The YD300 has roughly 6700m of ascent but it's mostly good going and has no (obligatory) hike-a-bike. My fastest time on that is just under 29hrs with 2hrs kip and another 3hrs or so of stops for meals, etc.

Similarly my times on the YD200, which has about 4000m of ascent, are in the 13-15hr range. My single BB200 took 19hrs with a total of 2 1/2hrs stops. Looks like the BB300 would take me in the region of 39hrs :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm pretty damn certain this'll be harder than the TCW.

On the subject... anyone stupid enough to be trying to do this without stopping? Compared to the BB200 I'll actually be carrying enough gear to get a comfortable rest (I wont sleep, I never do).

The only reason I'd consider not stopping is if I was at 200km at like, 16 hours or something. But that's pretty damn unlikely.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Like I say. 5.2 mph average required. Sounds easy. It ain't. I've booked counselling for the week after
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The YD300 has roughly 6700m of ascent but it's mostly good going and has no (obligatory) hike-a-bike.
No obligatory hike-a-bike here ... it's not like the AZTR and you're welcome to ride it all if you like. :wink:

Seriously, I don't actually go looking for HaB, it just happens that Wales can be a bit like that and if a track / trail naturally joins up points A and B then it shouldn't be shied away from. I'm sure you'll all have a lovely time.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm sure you'll all have a lovely time.
You really are a bastard. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If this were a dog I'd be thinking Cerberus not Scooby Doo!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Richard G wrote:... anyone stupid enough to be trying to do this without stopping?
Sure. Why's that stupid? I'm not taking enough kit to make it pleasant to stop because I only want to stop if I have to stop.

And there's stopping and stopping. My no stop strategy is actually a couple of 20 minute pauses strategy if you examine the small print. :smile: I can smash myself up for 36 hours and hang on, it's proper multi-day stuff when i need sleep to keep going.

This is the sort of stuff I love / keeps me interested. :ugeek:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Riding 36 hours without rest is pretty damn dangerous in my opinion, hence the "stupid" comment.

Less of an issue if we were always off road (still risky), but with any time spent on road I personally think going for that length of time is irresponsible.

If you can cope with it without putting yourself / others at risk then more power to you... but most couldn't.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I did 29 hours in Scotland and got to Tyndrum by 10:00 am, I stayed up all that day and only went to sleep at about 10pm that night. I wasn't sleepy at all and fully alert, so that was 41 hours on the go. Everyone is different though and if I was struggling to stay awake I'd stop and rest.

I did used to be a goth and stay up late into the night most days (2am bedtime and up at 7 for work) and at weekends rght through the night sometimes . So you could say from the ages of about 22 to 36 I was training hard for these events with sleep deprivation practice, even if it looked like I was just up drinking and listening to music :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

"used to be a goth" - trying to visualise, any pics? :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Sadly before the age of the camera phone and we only barely had enough money for beer and tobacco, out of my friends I was the only one with a job. There are a few somewhere though so if I find one at some point I'll put it up.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I still regularly work 24hr+ shifts, but it's a very different story to dying on my arse trying to get up hills in mid Wales
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I didn't say I'd be able to ride but I'd be awake :smile: when I got to Tyndrum all of me hurt and my wrist were very painful from holding the bars. It was at least 2 weeks before I got the feeling back in my hands. The following day my fingers swelled up to the point where I couldn't make a fist. I'm under no illusions as to how hard the BB300 will be! The wife is coming up to Wales so I won't have to drive home afterwards.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Stu: if we finish around the cutoff 7-8pm, how soon before we have to move the car (it's Llanbrynmair hall again, right?) if we need a long rest before driving?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've booked into the Star for Sunday night. No way in hell I'll be able to drive home without a proper rest.
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's only riding a bike - don't forget that....

Albeit a long way and there's a few hills involved.
Stops need to be short and efficient (every stop must have 2 reasons - clothing and pee, food and chain oiling, etc.). Sleep can be short and effective (even 20 minutes can give sufficient recharge for another 8 hours plus riding).

And just keep riding, and the km will tick past.....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The whole concept of being able to grab 20 minutes on these things amuses me. Especially after the first three days of the TNR containing precisely zero sleep for me.

"You'll sleep just fine when you've cycled all day"
"F*ck off"
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Richard G wrote:I've booked into the Star for Sunday night. No way in hell I'll be able to drive home without a proper rest.
I think this is vital. Getting into a nice warm car, for a long drive, in the dark, after such a long exertion would be f****** stupid. People’s susceptibility to fatigue is not uniform, but everybody suffers a significant performance drop. The dangerous thing is, the person affected is usually the last to notice this.

Be safe.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote:every stop must have 2 reasons - clothing and pee, food and chain oiling, etc.
I recon I can put on a jacket whilst eating something and pee on my chain all at the same time, thus doing all 4 in one stop :lol: I just need to make sure I drink enough chain lube in the week before :wink:

I actually first converted my bike to singlespeed years back after a chilly night ride where the mech kept freezing up and I had to stop to pee on it to thaw it out :smile: I thought that if I was going to be stuck in one gear I should get to choose which one rather that whichever one it happened to be in when it froze.