Ribble Adventure 725

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

kazafaza

Re: Ribble Adventure 725

Post by kazafaza »

I work at the Brum Showroom, we should have it on display as soon as journo's are done with it...

Boost both ends, bars should be available separate as well, need to confirm the price on the frameset. I'll keep you posted!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

kazafaza wrote: I don't think the carbon fork from the Ti version would accept anything more than the 27.5x2.8", maybe 3" at a push.
I hadn't spotted there is a Ti version, good job it's not got sliding dropouts or I'd need a bigger shed :smile: The Ti has drop bars so if the geo is the same will the steel work with drop bars as well?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
faustus

Post by faustus »

Thanks kazafaza, interesting the bars might be available separately too! Do keep us posted.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

If I didn't already have a Longitude I'd be all over this, definitely like the sound of a cheaper option for loop bars!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Comparing the geometry (the table is missing the reach and stack measurements even though they're marked on the diagram) with the original Solaris (not the new Longshot geo) and the bike seems very short, using an online calculator* the reach is 40mm shorter than the Solaris while the stack is 35mm greater. The BB also seems a bit low. It looks like the BB has been dropped to give the feeling of "riding in" rather than "perched on" the bike that the rest of the figures would indicate, it would be interesting to have a ride to see if the above holds true.

*plugging in the tube lengths and angles the calculator gives the correct wheelbase so I'm reasonably confident that the stack and reach values are accurate.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

I agree it's on the shorty side in terms of ETT but I guess that was done so it could be used with the drop bars. It's not a trail shredder but I'd also want it to be a bit roomier as I'm built like a gibbon. I'll try to get more info tomorrow...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've put my request in for a test / review ... we'll see.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

not sure if they have it in the shop but i can nip in [ Monday] and see of anyone has anything specific they want to know about it

As above have a Genesis so its not on my radar but looks nice enough
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Finally a possible advantage to living in Birmingham...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

mechanicaldope wrote:Finally a possible advantage to living in Birmingham...
It has a good transport network so that you can leave easily...
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Geometry wise it's pretty much a Fargo with less space in the triangle (20mm off the seat tube) and 10mm added on the ETT.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good to see a shortish top tube - pretty much what a medium Jones diamond frame is soo should be nice and upright.
jameso

Post by jameso »

johnnystorm wrote:Satori Falcon Aero
Don't think it's them - got a set of the Falcon Aeros and they've far less sweep than the Jones-alike on the Ribble. The Ribble's bar looks same as the one Alpkit had briefly.
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

Adventure 725 in Medium on display at the Birmingham Mailbox store:

Should you want any further pics or info drop us a line and I'll see what can be done :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Ooh, I might wander by when I'm next in the office at the end of the week even if only to window shop.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That really is rather nice.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

ticks a lot of boxes for me - what’s the colour like in the flesh? some photos make it look shiny like copper piping, on others it looks a dull copper brown like my old Genesis IO
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Granted it looks a nice bike but I nearly spat my tea out when I read the interview with the "designer" Jamie Burrow in the newsletter. Stu managed to get more words out of him than I did in 2 1/2 years working with him at Planet X. The only thing he was allowed to "design" at PX was t shirts, how he's got this gig at Ribble is unbelievable, probably no accident that Brants return to PX and his departure coincided. World U23 roadrace champ, joined US Postal under that nice Mr Armstrong and vanished, say no more.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

You can pre-order them now. I'm so close to hitting the button, but I can't get my head around the angles, particularly the 620mm ETT on the XL. I'm 6'2" and short of leg for my height, with long arms to boot. I don't get on with squat bikes. And the swept back bars compound the issue. Might wait for the XXL version.

I may be a bit of a long and slack fashion victim, slave to my Whyte S150's long reach, but I reckon I'd need to stick at least a 120mm stem on it to not be hunched up and it would steer like a canal boat. Even my large OO Fatty has over 640mm ETT. Fits me very nicely with a 100mm stem.

Hey Ribble ... the 1990's called. They want their frame geometry back.

I'm thinking about this too much, aren't I? It's a super looking bike and amazing value.

pistonbroke ... Have a panda. :wink:

I'm just going outside ...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Think the designer said it was designed for drops and then fitted with swept bars. That would explain the shortness. Odd.
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

@holdsteady: As an ex-owner of the Genesis iO, Genesis High Latitude Alfine, Onza Payoff and 1978 Raleigh Esquire I can confidently say that it's not as dull as the iO, seems to be just a tone darker than the Onza. I can take my DSLR to work tomorrow and try and grab some more pics in different light settings for you.

@pistonbroke: Wow, can't really commment as I've only met Jamie at the recent Bike Show so I don't know him very well at all, we've had a good chat though. We're in the same Company but based in different locations so I wouldn't know but he's always there for us when asked for help and/or info...

@TheBrownDog: I'm of a very similar build as you are and I would wait to see the XL in the flesh before ordering one as well. I've been taught the hard way that the geo charts do not reflect the real life sometimes, I haven't had a chance yet to compare the display model with the official info. I'll do it tomorrow. For the record, Large Krampus with bent Thomson post and 80mm stem feels a tad too short but playful enough now I've fitted taller fork, iO in XL was fine with 80 or 90mm stem, High Latitude was great with 60mm and boingy forks, Onza was way too short for any long distance riding but great as a pumptrack hooligan...
Last edited by kazafaza on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

kazafaza wrote:Boost both ends
Well, they're not. Apologies for the confusion and any inconvenience. It's the 142x12mm at the back and the 100x15mm up front.

Also, I've compared the geometry charts with the display model and I'm happy to report that all the angles and other measurements are the same as per the Medium size guide. :-bd

I will do my best to grab some pics later on today or on Saturday at the latest...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheers for that Tom. 142x12mm at the back and the 100x15mm up front makes sense to me. And I'm pretty sure as 120-140mm stem won't mess it up too much. Not like I'd be taking it down a WCDH course.
I'm just going outside ...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I popped by on a flying visit and it does indeed look very nice in the flesh so to speak. It's even in my size but alas I promised to not to buy another bike for a year after buying the last one. Still got six months to go :grin:
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

@holdsteady: a couple more pics of the frame's colour in the linky below. Should anyone want any further pics just give us a shout and keep pestering :oops:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jhHs4grMkDQPASWg8