Terra Nova Jupiter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Terra Nova Jupiter

Post by Dave Barter »

These days I mostly use my Terra Nova Discovery bag under a Trekker tent. But was thinking the Jupiter may be a better/lighter option with its hoop.

It is a tad spendy but my Discovery has been faultless.

Any thoughts on this bag or alternatives? Please don’t say tarp as I just don’t get on with them. Too fiddly for a late night swearing session
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
middleagedmadness

Re: Terra Nova Jupiter

Post by middleagedmadness »

Got a or helium Dave , it's 500g and to be fair it's been faultless ,can get a bit of condensation when you close up the clamshell but not a stupid amount ,the only annoying thing is when you've got the hood open and just the bug mesh closed the hood itself sort of hangs in your neck area ,I found tying off the hoop more or less stops it ,if you want to borrow one before you buy I can post one down to you as the youngfella won't be using his for a while now and just post it back later
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/deschutes

Is one of these too faffy? My SMD Wild Oasis (older design) is just a case of popping some pegs in and propping it up with a single pole. Loads more space for a similar weight.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Is this to replace the Discovery and the Trekker tent outer? I can never work out how you get from standing next to a hooped bivi in muddy waterproofs in the rain to inside of it in your sleeping bag without getting the layers underneath wet or everything inside the bivi wet and muddy? Genuinely interested in how users do this.

Have you thought about a tarp? :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm generally slightly wary of hooped bags. There always seems a big increase in weight for a minimal increase in space and usability. The only one I've seen which doesn't come with too much weight penalty is the Helium ... it's also available at a reasonable price compared to most.

Like Nigel, I favour something with more space and less weight. In my case that's an SMD Gatewood Cape. Full coverage, 1 pole and 6 pegs. Thing weighs about 400g all in and can be put it in about 30 seconds.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Slightly OT, but I saw a bit on the telly about Grandma Gatewood over the weekend, I assume this is where the cape gets it's name from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood

Edit, Summary for those who don't have time to read the Wiki article.

Emma Rowena Gatewood, better known as Grandma Gatewood (October 25, 1887–June 4, 1973),[1] was an extreme hiker and ultra-light hiking pioneer who was the first woman to hike the 2,168-mile (3,489 km) Appalachian Trail from Mount Oglethorpe in Georgia to Mount Katahdin in Maine solo, and in one season
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's the one Sean :-bd
middleagedmadness

sean_iow wrote:Is this to replace the Discovery and the Trekker tent outer? I can never work out how you get from standing next to a hooped bivi in muddy waterproofs in the rain to inside of it in your sleeping bag without getting the layers underneath wet or everything inside the bivi wet and muddy? Genuinely interested in how users do this.

Have you thought about a tarp? :wink:
Ha it's not fully possible Sean ,I've tried loads of ways ,now I strip down whilst sitting on top of the Bivi quickly put may jacket back on whilst getting my legs inside bag then it's wriggle and remove jacket at same time ,can be a bit of a faff and is definitely easier in a tent /tarp ,if it's gonna be heeping down I take a tarp to which I know negates the weight saving of the bag
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I have often wondered how it was done. I'm not knocking anyone's choice of shelter, after all this is the friendly forum :smile: But I can never work out the benefit of a hooped bivi.

My homemade tarp, 2 poles, 8 pegs and my Borah bivi weight 626g. If it's dry and not looking like it will rain I don't put the tarp up and just sleep in the bivi. The tarp is spacious enough that I can sit up, cook, change my clothes and attend to any number of tasks, there's even enough room that I could bring a wheel underneath and fix a puncture. The Terra Nova bivi is listed as 550g so the saving of 76g doesn't seem worth the compromise. I use ally poles and my tarp is big enough for 2 really so I could probably get under the 550g with carbon poles and a smaller tarp.
RIP

Post by RIP »

So what about the.... no, Reg, stop. Was just about to simply agree with Sean but realised I'd be hijacking Dave's question thread. Trouble is we love wittering about shelters too much and just can't help it :smile:. Having said that I don't understand hooped bbags either, they're not even stealthy like a normal bbag and the hoop presumably categorises them as a structure.

Quick, someone answer the question helpfully :lol:.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

To be honest I've been looking at a trekkertent drift for me and the boy ,but the problem I have is when he's had enough he's had it enough and it's time to bed down that's where I appreciate the Bivi with a tent we'd have to keep going till a suitable pitch is found where with the helium's it's just throw them out and get in virtually anywhere he decides
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Dave, I have an ULW Cuben Hexamid tarp thing from Z Packs, and it can be a bit daffy, but for the one night that I needed it on the CT, it was worth carrying, because the only alternative was plodding into the night for several hours, in a bustard of a storm, waiting for the torrent to stop before I was killed by lightning. Getting into my bivi bag in those conditions (without overhead cover) was a complete non-starter, and would have resulted in all my insulation getting piss wet through!
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I recently sold a Terra Nova Saturn and a Nemo Gogo which had not been used for a few years.
I much prefer the Lunar Solo which is light and packs down well.
If you and your gear is wet a hooped bivvi is not a great experience.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've done the "fully wet into a bivvy bag" thing. Not a hooped one either.

Put sleeping bag in bivvy bag.
Squash it down to the foot area.
Remove boots and socks.
Slide in.
Remove bib-tights when in the bivvy bag (let's just say I was surprised at how supple I am for my age).
Remove bib-tights from bag.
Find open end of sleeping bag.
Slide legs in.

And reverse it all in the morning.

NOT the best experience I've had but, TBH, at that point pitching a tent wasn't going to be possible (and the morning ride showed it would have been several miles until I'd found a pitch).
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

OR Helium gets another vote from me.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've got a Terra Nova Jupiter that i've had for years but not used enough. I've loved it when i have used it though. Downsides have been mentioned above, i've not had to get in it when it's been peeing it down. It does depend on the uniqueness of your body shape and the level of your yoga suppleness, but it is possible to sit in the hood area and get mostly changed before shuffling in. The upsides for me are; there is enough room for your head and upper body to move around and room for food, torch and even shoes; the wind is shut out; fully zipped midge net so you can watch the stars when it's warm without getting bitten; it's nice and snug when you're inside in a different way to a tent.

All that said, for the money and weight, the ultra-lightwieght small tents look great. If i was buying again i'd probably consider one of those instead, but I bought my terra nova long before i thought about using it for bikepacking.

ImageBeautiful bivvy morning by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks all lots to consider. I see the advantage of a bag when in bivy spots like a bus shelter or freezing bothy. That rules out lightweight tents for me.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A lightweight shelter with a very light bivvy Dave? Best of both worlds and bonus options as circumstance dictates?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:A lightweight shelter with a very light bivvy Dave? Best of both worlds and bonus options as circumstance dictates?
+1
Deschutes or similar plus borah bivvy or similar. 650 or so gs for a nice space to chill out in that is pretty weather proof and quick to pitch with a bit of practice