Trail conditions near BB Towers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Trail conditions near BB Towers

Post by lune ranger »

Pondering tyres for the BB200, and having tubeless 29+ wheels tyre changes are a big fat pita. So I need to work up an appetite for changes. I know the route is not published and conditions could change dramatically in 2 weeks but what's it like underfoot (tyre) generally just now.
For example Dartmoor is still way drier/firmer than usual.
Thanks
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trail conditions near BB Towers

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dartmoor is still way drier/firmer than usual.
So is Bear Bones land at present but it's starting to soften off. However, the trouble with Wales is the range of conditions / surfaces, no matter what tyres you fit, you'll be cursing the choice at some point. My advice is always to favour speed and low resistance over outright grip.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I hesitate to ask, but when is the route out? I did try searching, but couldn’t find anything. Could not even find evidence of other people asking, which is a little unnerving :oops:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It was mentioned in another thread, the official answer was
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Route will be going out sometime the week before ... more than 3 days, less than 7 :-bd
Which doesn't give much time to look at the route and decide what gear to use.... but that's my own fault for choosing to only have one :smile: Out of interest, what ratio did you use on previous ones when you were on the ss shand?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for that. Yeah, the broadband is a bit slow at BB Towers, so it must be a helluva route if it’s going to take four days to email it :lol:

I always used 32:19 on my singlespeed BB200 rides. I’ve dabbled with 32:18, thinking it’d make me quicker, but I just couldn’t get my cadence up enough for the average Mid Wales gradient (usually quite unforgiving) and ended up with cramp.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:My advice is always to favour speed and low resistance over outright grip.
I'll stick with the Dirt Wizards then :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks for that, I think I've settled on 34/20 but I do have a 32t I could put on at the last minute if I have a panic when the route is released.

I ran 32/20 last year but on a 650B bike, this year it's a 29er so with the bigger gear and bigger wheel it's 11% higher gearing that 2017.... but the new bike and trimmed down kit and rider is 11% lighter than last year so hopefully that will balance out.

On the Isle of Wight I use 34/17 but the hills only top out at 240m :lol: I use a 34t chainring as for the oval ones I use the 34t is £7.50 cheaper than a 32t and the Surly rear cogs are the same price for either size to get about the same gearing.
psling

Post by psling »

sean_iow wrote:Thanks for that, I think I've settled on 34/20 but I do have a 32t I could put on at the last minute if I have a panic when the route is released.

I ran 32/20 last year but on a 650B bike, this year it's a 29er so with the bigger gear and bigger wheel it's 11% higher gearing that 2017.... but the new bike and trimmed down kit and rider is 11% lighter than last year so hopefully that will balance out.

On the Isle of Wight I use 34/17 but the hills only top out at 240m :lol: I use a 34t chainring as for the oval ones I use the 34t is £7.50 cheaper than a 32t and the Surly rear cogs are the same price for either size to get about the same gearing.
That's why I like singlespeed - its simplicity and not having to worry about gear choice... :roll: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Unlike other I always make sure I've got a decent amount of grip for the BB200. I'd rather go slightly slower and have grip than spend my entire ride cursing my choice.

That said, I'm still talking XC tyres, not full on trail eating monsters.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

psling wrote:
That's why I like singlespeed - its simplicity and not having to worry about gear choice... :roll: :lol:
But I do get my gear choice worrying over with before the event, imagine the worry I'd have if I had 10 or more gears to choose from and I had to choose at each hill and again as I climbed it :lol:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

sean_iow wrote:
psling wrote:
But I do get my gear choice worrying over with before the event, imagine the worry I'd have if I had 10 or more gears to choose from and I had to choose at each hill and again as I climbed it :lol:
Last time I did the 200 in 2015 I was ss
Im still undecided what to ride :-W
Trying to ride bikes.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

sean_iow wrote:
psling wrote:
With gears there’ll always be a point when I always want one lower than is actually on my bike.

At least with SS you know that can’t be possible. With gears it never quite so certain.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ground conditions were brilliant this weekend over in cambrain mtns. All still very hard and dry!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Ran a 2.4 Ardent on the front in 2015 and hooned it down the decsents but it was too draggy everywhere else so going back to an Ikon on the front.

Trying out a Recon Race on the rear at the moment which, if it gets muddy, could be a mistake...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:My advice is always to favour speed and low resistance over outright grip.
Interesting view.
That helps with tyre choice.