Klymit Sleeping mats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Klymit Sleeping mats

Post by slarge »

I am looking at really light sleeping mats at the moment - a balloon bed sets the standard for lightness, but is a pain to inflate etc. Klymit mats seem quite light (their lightest is around 180grams, and packs down very small (coke can size). Does anyone have any experience of them? Are they tough (as their website suggests), do they actually keep you off the floor?
I would be using it with a Rab Top Bag, so the holes in the mat would be cold spots with no insulation underneath the bag, but do people think this is really an issue (given that wearing a couple of layers would help)

Thanks
Dan_K

Re: Klymit Sleeping mats

Post by Dan_K »

Have had no experience of Klymit mats with regards to using them but have seen them in the stores and can't help but think why someone would choose them over a Neoair (approx 80g heavier in small)?
Personally, there comes a point where weight saving becomes pointless over comfort. Is an extra 80g really worth a miserable, cold night and will the resulting impact on performance be more than the negative impact of the additional weight?
I know that all the little bits add up but unless you're carrying zero body fat, a superlight bike and near weightless food, I wouldn't start looking to cut in the comfort areas.
What's the rest of your set up like?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How well the Klymit mats work seems to depend on your body shape. It seems that they suit some people (hold them in position, don't fall off, etc) but for others of a different shape the cut-outs are in the wrong place to support them.

I know that they don't work with a quilt so I imagine a top bag will give pretty much the same reults. If you can live with the bulk then a cut down foam mat will be lighter than anything (except balloon bed) ... should be able to get a 3/4 length one down to around 100g.

I recall the POE Uberlite and Mountainlite 3/4 self inflating pads were around 250g, if you can find one. As Dan says, a short NeoAir might be the best compromise though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

OK cheers. My gear set up is quite light at the moment - siltarp, topbag and hunka bivvy. The balloon bed is just a pain to inflate (10 minutes with warm hands, 15 with cold hands), and that's in a dry tent. I have a foam mat, but I find carrying it a pain as it doesn't fit my pack or drybag (but it was only £3).

Neoair might be the way forward, I just like the thought of the Klymit minimalism!

Weight vs Comfort - that's always the conundrum - I guess backpacking is weight vs comfort vs cheapness - pick any 2 (just like bikes are strength vs weight vs cheapness - pick 2). I tend to go for light weight over comfort, but then I have never had a truly bad night out (yet).
gairym

Post by gairym »

i got one of the karrimor x-lite mats from field and trek for £30 and it's comfortable, cheap and only weighs 300g.

i can't comment on it's R rating as i used it in pretty warm weather but i don't see how it'd be much different to a Neoair (and it's a crap-load cheaper!).

worth a look.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I find the Klymit a good allround performer - it's my first choice mat for bikepacking. I have used balloon beds in the past for single nights, but they are a faff - hardly worth it for a single night, never mind multi-day. The klymit is definitely more comfortable than a foam mat. I fidget a bit, but find it's not a problem - there are only a couple of positions I 'fall through'! It is very quick and easy to inflate and deflate, quicker than a neoair, and it packs smaller. With top bag and clothing would be ok, but not into colder conditions. I have used it with a standard bag below freezing and have noticed cooler/cold spots where the gaps are - still usable but starting to reduce comfort. Also, in cold conditions you need to get it fully inflated to ensure maximum insulation from the ground. They supply a small pump to help, if you can bear to carry the extra grams it does help, but is not essential. Toughness seems good - no problems so far. (Mine is the full length, 3/4 length were not available when I got it).
mollyiom

Post by mollyiom »

I have a Klymit x frame for sale if anyone interested, used once would take 60 quid,Reason is i tend to toss and turn when sleeping rather than lay mummy like. now got a neoair