Lael Wilcox Navad 1000

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Lael Wilcox Navad 1000

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

A short film about Lael's attempt on the record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4g1gRIEFs8

Other than the ridiculous amount of climbing, one thing struck me - the amount of kit that the winner, and only person to beat Lael, Stepan Stransky was carrying - or total lack of it! Lael comments on this (7:20 in), and whilst she laughs off her own allegation that he 'just asks people for stuff all the time', clearly it must have bugged her or why mention it?

I don't know enough about the facts, but maybe another example of racers being so focussed on winning that the self supported ethic is pushed beyond 'taking the piss'. Maybe.
Richpips

Re: Lael Wilcox Navad 1000

Post by Richpips »

It looks like the dude who won did the titles for the film, so I doubt there's any hard feelings.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

The bit where she’s walking down the steps to the lake says it all. She’s hardcore.

And Switzerland scrubs up nice!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:A short film about Lael's attempt on the record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4g1gRIEFs8

Other than the ridiculous amount of climbing, one thing struck me - the amount of kit that the winner, and only person to beat Lael, Stepan Stransky was carrying - or total lack of it! Lael comments on this (7:20 in), and whilst she laughs off her own allegation that he 'just asks people for stuff all the time', clearly it must have bugged her or why mention it?

I don't know enough about the facts, but maybe another example of racers being so focussed on winning that the self supported ethic is pushed beyond 'taking the piss'. Maybe.
If we are going to start talking ITT ethics then is having a film crew following you and meeting at various pre-determined places is somewhat outside of the ITT ethic (and possibly rules!)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I found it a bit of an odd one to watch.
Lael seems so upbeat and happy talking about it afterwards that it felt weirdly devoid of suffering and tribulations. And yeah, maybe she didn't have any horrendous mechanicals or get chased by dogs or find herself questioning her sanity at any point, but it's clearly a very hard ride, she absolutely smashed it, and yet...?