Get yourself seen

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Get yourself seen

Post by fatbikephil »

Remember that add from about '79??!
Anyway following on from some of the discussion in the Mike Hall inquest thread, and given the dark nights are fast approaching, what's your chosen method of distracting your average car driver from texting, adjusting sat nav, drinking coffee and listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon; in the vane hope they don't mow you down?

I tend to go for max lighting when commuting - exposure red eye, exposure tracer and a Blackburn flashing led as a back up on the rear and either a revo or maxx D plus a tracef up front with my joystick in reserve. My theory has always been to have a flashing light, a continuous light and a spare. I went for exposures after seeing a guy with them (from a long distance away) and as a driver I really can't see how anyone could miss me.....

When bikepacking a tend to cut back a bit if I know I'm only going to be on quiet roads (tracer plus an old flare on the rear, maxx d / revo up front)

Some of my kit has reflective bits on but I'm not convinced this makes a huge difference as I think drivers are naturally looking out for tail lights and may not consciously pick up on reflective stuff (??) I don't wear high viz (apart from me BB gillet)

I also run lights in daylight (exp flash and flare in daybright mode - very effective even in low sun). Today I encountered a guy in high viz in bright lowish sunshine under trees. You couldn't see him but you could see his red flashing tail light clear as.

Discuss!
Moder-dye

Re: Get yourself seen

Post by Moder-dye »

I run a couple of lights on the back and a top with reflective bits on. Sometimes a hi vis tabbard and hi vis leg bands.

I did read a report some time ago that the most visible things are hi vis bands on your legs due to the movement.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think there are (at least) two scenarios - one in an urban environment and another in a rural.

Street-lit cities and towns have cars on low beam and they are less likely to illuminate any reflectives. Out on a dark country road, good reflectives are commonly spotted before any lights. It doesn't take much either, bags, jackets, helmets, shoes and pedals all come with reflective patches. I guess there is an opportunity for them to be obstructed or caked in dirt if you've been off-roading so making sure they are visible before dark is probably a good idea.

On longer road rides I always use two rear lights. Dynamo usually now accounts for one.

When commuting in town I always used one rear light on the bike and one on the rear of the helmet. Same for front - a steady, bright bar light and a smaller flashing helmet light. I reckon the vertical spread of multiple lights differentiates you from most of the other traffic and/or road signs/furniture.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Same here, two front (flashing bar to be seen and solid helmet light to see) and two rear (flashing seat post and solid helmet that moves with me).

In addition I've got loads of reflective strips mounted all over my bikes.

And I still ride assuming that nobody has seen me and that even if they have they're actively trying to kill me!!!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Commuting, a yellow Hi-viz windproof, an orange hi-viz rucksack cover, and 2-3 rear lights, one flashing and one solid. Front lights are normally one flashing and one solid (unless proper dark then the flashing one gets turned on solid.

Sunday road ride is normally just a rear light flashing (I like the Exposure rear lights that are solid with a bright pulse)

I do have a phobia about riding into the sun - I get off those roads asap. And riding in the half light means my lights are on. Orange hi-viz is better than yellow as it stands out against almost all backgrounds, and in the fog it is more visible...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

If I'm commuting then my rear light is pretty much always on and I put on my front light and a second rear light if its getting dark. That bike has reflectors on the rear, each wheel and on half the spokes. In winter I'm generally wearing a altura night vision high vis jacket & gloves as well. My bag is high vis and has a reflective logo.

If I'm out loaded up then the bike has less reflectors but the front light is more powerful, still got 2 rear lights and shoes, socks, shorts, jacket and gloves all have reflective bits to them. I do need to get a helmet light though.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Reading the other thread earlier today I realised that my new bike doesn't have any reflective on it, my old one had an orange painted frame with orange reflective tape up the seat stays.

I've knocked up this to rectify the situation at least when I've got the seat pack on.

It's a piece of thin plastic with two slots cut in it and covered in reflective tape, I should have made one ages ago.

I always have 2 lights in the winter , one powered from the dynamo. Both are Exposure which have a smooth lens which is easy to wipe the mud off when rejoining a road.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Given that absolutely no coppers anywhere care about anyone using flashing lights on their bikes (emergency services only anyone?) I reckon you're safest having a big white reflective and/or white light, on the back of the bike, pointing rearwards. My reasoning being that car drivers see a red light and think "Yeah, it's in front of me, seen that, cool" and then forget about you, whereas if they see a big white light directly in front of them they'll think "Foosht me! That things coming straight for me!!!" and will then pay you a far greater amount of attention.

Not tried it mind.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Bright solid light a lummicycle one
One flashing one on the seat pack
one flashing half and half so front and rear for the helmet
Two lights for the front - usuay ony one on and the other as a back up.
reflective tape on the crank arms and on the wheels
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like most here, I run 2 rear lights - one on the bike usually on the seatstay and another on the back of my helmet. If I know I'm going to be on the road during the evening / night then I'll pop my ProViz gilet on and sometimes a hiviz / reflective band on my right ankle. My helmet is also bright yellow which may help?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Does anyone still have front rear reflectors on their pedals and are they still compulsory?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Mariner wrote:Does anyone still have front rear reflectors on their pedals and are they still compulsory?
They are and nope. Well, certainly not on my spds!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Mariner wrote:Does anyone still have front rear reflectors on their pedals and are they still compulsory?
I believe they're still compulsory for road usage but I think there's only 2 of 7 bikes in my household that have them. I've considered getting t-8000 spds for road duty / touring but they're in a long queue of things to buy.
psling

Post by psling »

My first opinion on this subject is that any competent driver should be alert, observant and aware of both animate and inanimate objects on or by the highway whether they are lit up like a christmas tree or not.

Numerous cyclists have been injured or killed whilst riding with lights and reflective strips, including Mike. Witness statements at his inquest from several drivers who were sharing the road with him that morning vary from well lit and easy to notice, to didn't notice him 'til last moment, to didn't see him at all. Those that saw him were paying attention, those that didn't were not. The cyclist is the victim here, not the cause.

Having said that, I do try to reduce the likelihood of bad drivers from hitting me. Like Stu, I run 2 rear lights on helmet and bike. My various bits of clothing all have reflective strips. And I tend to ride in a confident and dominant position on the road.
But, I hate that reference is always made to the non-wearing of helmets, hi-viz, nor sufficient lights when a bad driver drives badly and hits and kills/injures a cyclist who is riding properly and legally. Not wearing a helmet, hi-viz or having only one rear light is not the cause of a driver hitting a cyclist with his vehicle.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

if their not looking you wont be seen regardless.

only time I've been hit by a car i was like an XMAS tree with 3 front lights mixed between flashing and solid on the bike and the helmet ,a fixed and flashing rear lights , high vis builders vest , reflective spoke clip things , reflective tape , pedal reflectors and reflective reflex trousers etc

car just drove across my path claimed he didnt see me.

reading the cycle.au inquest reports the reports vary between I HATE CYCLISTS they deserve all they get (which is the popular opinion in Austrailia IME although out west rather than near Canberra ) to the honest reports that correlates with the photos and videos.....

what has stuck in my mind though is the poor quality/emission of the drivers own front lights.....which in its own right is enough for me to place the blame squarely on the driver.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Most bike rear lights are designed to mount on the seat post; not much use if you have a bag there, and the worst place for gathering trail mud anyway. Does anybody have a suggestion for a seat stay mounted light? Oval section stays, so a round clamp not ideal. Same for helmet mounted-ideas?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Exposure Red-eye runs off my dynamo and mounts to my off-side seatstay easily enough. Otherwise I hang a light off the saddle, a backpack or seatpack.
techno

Post by techno »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Most bike rear lights are designed to mount on the seat post; not much use if you have a bag there, and the worst place for gathering trail mud anyway. Does anybody have a suggestion for a seat stay mounted light? Oval section stays, so a round clamp not ideal. Same for helmet mounted-ideas?
I've just got one of these, mounted on seat stay.
Clamp is a flexible band so will work on any shape I should think.
Edit, whoops: https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/cateye-rea ... lsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by techno on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anybody have a suggestion for a seat stay mounted light? Oval section stays, so a round clamp not ideal. Same for helmet mounted-ideas?
I use a Blackburn Local. Mount is slightly flexi so will contour to most shapes. Mine are like this with the alloy body - found it to be 100% waterproof too.

May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Same for helmet mounted-ideas?
I've got some of these

https://www.alpkit.com/products/blip

On one of my helmets the strap runs outside the helmet at the back for a short length so the 20mm wide one will clip on there. On the other helmet a short length of double sided velcro works. They also clip to the straps on seat packs and on the rear of rucksacks. I've killed one due to water ingress but at £6 a pair they are cheap enough, the sealing could probably be improved with a bit of silicon grease where the top clips on.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I run the usual two lights an end but have a set of bar end lights which seem very effective and gives the bike more width visually, seems to give me more passing space,I do run woodchippers though I think they would also be good on flat bars.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Aldi have their bike event on soon. Their Moon-a-like lights are great and if they come with the same set of mounts as before you'll be able to mount them just about anywhere.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks for the ideas.

Being an awkward bstard, I'd prefer a seat stay light that was directed to the rear, rather than the sky, so a more complicated mount would be required.

I've tried the Alpkit blips and found them to be pretty useless! Thinking a Topeak Lux might be a good helmet option - there are better, more expensive options, but I am very sensitive to a heavy helmet on long rides, so don't want any extra weight there that will lead to neck pain.

Lots of cheap Lezyne Zecto look-a-likes on amazon, but I don't want to risk burning the house down with USB recharging a dodgy Li Batt with no protection circuit!
techno

Post by techno »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Thanks for the ideas.

Being an awkward bstard, I'd prefer a seat stay light that was directed to the rear, rather than the sky, so a more complicated mount would be required.
The cateye ilinked will angle down well enough for most seatstay angles I should think:
IMG_26092018_174459_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_26092018_174459_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg (299.8 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
And it comes with a belt clip for bag attachment.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

techno mail wrote:The cateye ilinked will angle down well enough for most seatstay angles I should think
Excellent - does it come with that mounting bracket?