Exposure Lights

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobMac

Exposure Lights

Post by RobMac »

Like every other piece of rechargeable equipment how quickly do Exposure lights begin to lose their charge capacity?
What I'm trying to say is my Exposure light isn't holding it charge as long as it used to "l think".
Your thoughts and experiences please.
Scattamah

Re: Exposure Lights

Post by Scattamah »

4 year old Joystick (mk8) still behaves for me...seems to hold a charge as good if not better than a newer model (mk10) that I picked up here not that long ago. I can't speak for the brighter, larger models though.

I also have a Spark, which has the poorest electronics inside known to man and often gets brighter after some percussive maintenance. I wish it wasn't the case as it's a good little light.

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

'percussive maintenance' :lol:. I should have heard that one before but I haven't. As happens, I'm fiddling with my Joystick as we speak (STOP IT AT THE BACK JOHNSON MINOR, OR SEE ME AFTERWARDS). The charger hole cover never seems to stay on properly.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

RIP wrote:...The charger hole cover never seems to stay on properly.
The mk10 Joystick I have has this exact issue. The mk8 does not.

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah. Mine's a 12. Perhaps I need to 'trade down' then :smile:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

There's a test you can try, i can't remember off the top of my head what it is atm, but if you ring Exposure they'll tell you.

It's basically comparing expected v's actual run time at a certain power, the problem you'll have is keeping the light cool for (potentially) a couple of hours..

Last year i bought an ex-display joystick off Evans, but when it arrived the battery was completely dead. I didn't know how long it had been like this & wanted to check it was ok. As it happened it wasn't & i sent it back. At the time i also had the luxury of being able to hang it infront of a coldroom fan to keep it cool :ugeek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

My Diablo has been problematic for a long time now - completely unreliable, to the point where it needs to have a full charge within 24 hours of use if I am to get anything worthwhile from it. About 4 years old now, and has had very little use - probably 5-10 times a year on average, but not spread evenly - perhaps part of the problem.

Replaced it with a Fenix with Lithium batteries that are USB rechargeable (two of them) and easily replaced on the trail. Slightly less max lumens, but more than enough, and a tighter beam, which I prefer for a helmet light.
psling

Post by psling »

I don't imagine it's the case with newer Exposure lights but 'back in the day' with their earlier kit it was necessary to put the lights on charge once a month every month, whether used or not, to keep them 'topped up'. If they were left to drain to empty they wouldn't start charging again (unless they were given a boost start by Exposure or someone with the right kit to do that without damaging the cell).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

"don't imagine it's the case with newer Exposure lights but 'back in the day' with their earlier kit it was necessary to put the lights on charge once a month every month, whether used or not, to keep them 'topped up'. If they were left to drain to empty they wouldn't start charging again (unless they were given a boost start by Exposure or someone with the right kit to do that without damaging the cell)."

Its not - we dont tend to touch our exposures(and between us we have a few) all summer , just be sure to put them away not quite fully charged.

If you speak to exposure they will do a battery swap out for a reasonable fee and will often if they can will fit a higher capacity battery if advances in capacity/size allow it for a the space constraints

Mine went back for a replacement emitter after i dropped it onto concrete by not clipping it in correctly. we are talking a 10 year old mk3 Maxx D here - and it was 15 quid for them to repair it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I reckon my max d is about 10% down from when it was new in 2014, used regularly throughout the winter.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Exposure just repaired my rear light for £19.50, for a new circuit board. A couple of years back they repaired my Maxx D which was getting tired, around £70 for a new battery and socket. They wouldn't upgrade it to the latest spec, but that would have been a new light!,

I can't speak highly enough of them. Their kit is top notch, and the repairs are quick and fairly cheap. A purist might say that their kit should not need repairing, but Li-ion batteries are not durable in the real world, hot and cold kills them. Even your laptop or phone will only last a few years before the capacity drops like a stone.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

My MK10 Torro will discharge itself if it's not switched on for a couple of seconds after charging. My MK10 Joystick never goes green when charging, there's no problem with run time though.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I'm in the market for a new front light since my Hope R4 has shat the bed for the forth time now, it's great they keep fixing it but it really shouldn't need fixed!

Are there any decent alternatives to Exposure? I'd like something cable free, thinking of the Toro at the minute as the MaxxD is way to spendy!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/10746 ... light.aspx
Not quite as spendy and has the updated button rather than the daft touch area like mine did so only missing out on a bit of power (not needed) and the pointless link to your smart phone
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/10746 ... light.aspx
Not quite as spendy and has the updated button rather than the daft touch area like mine did so only missing out on a bit of power (not needed) and the pointless link to your smart phone
To late, someone got to it before me! I'll keep hunting