Mike Hall's inquest - Guardian report

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Re: Mike Hall's inquest - Guardian report

Post by psling »

Counsel assisting the coroner, Ken Archer, said the race had been described as a gruelling test and likened to the “Hunger Games on wheels”
My understanding of the Hunger Games is that the winner is the sole survivor after everyone else has been killed - a bit worrying that Counsel liken a sporting event to that and if it was a flippant remark (at an inquest) then it is totally inappropriate.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

An odd comparison and not constructive at an inquest.

Not very helpful for the press to focus on that comment, but inevitable that they will do that.

Doesn't do anything to lessen the sadness, but then what would.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

"with the rear red light on Hall’s bicycle difficult to see"

So he did have at least one working light then. Anyone know what he was running?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not so sure about them comments regarding his lights being dim and not having any reflective elements in his clothing. Mike wasn't stupid and especislly after having warned other cyclists regards close scrapes with cars going past. Sound like BS which hopefully they will get to the bottom of
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, cerainly not a helpful comment but it's a 'headline' and grabs peoples attention hence it's reported in the paper ... I can't help feeling that the comments that we can perhaps all take something from are;
An inquest on Monday heard Hall was wearing dark clothing, with limited reflective qualities.
and
Police re-creations showed the bike was “virtually indistinguishable” in the dark, with the rear red light on Hall’s bicycle difficult to see.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote:Not so sure about them comments regarding his lights being dim and not having any reflective elements in his clothing. Mike wasn't stupid and especislly after having warned other cyclists regards close scrapes with cars going past. Sound like BS which hopefully they will get to the bottom of
The reflectivity of his clothing would surely be easily established. Of course we don't know by what standard it is being judged. If someone was comparing it to a full reflective jacket, or even a Sam Brown belt, then they might judge Mikes choice insufficient.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Terrible piece of journalism which doesn't surprise me these days.

Seems to ignore the fact that it is a long, straight, flat road and that the 19 year old driver has previously stated that they were distracted by a truck before hitting him.
psling

Post by psling »

Scud wrote:Terrible piece of journalism which doesn't surprise me these days.

Seems to ignore the fact that it is a long, straight, flat road and that the 19 year old driver has previously stated that they were distracted by a truck before hitting him.
Well, to be fair it does report that the driver was distracted by a truck before hitting him. It also reports that Mike was riding "in the verge on the correct side of the road".
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Scud wrote:Terrible piece of journalism which doesn't surprise me these days.

I'm not sure there is much there that isn't paraphrasing the Police testimony. The terrible bit is how readily the Police are willing to blame the victim.

Not many people riding there and seeing a lorry parked at a filling station seems adequate defence for killing someone.

Australia does seem particularly anti-bike.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

johnnystorm wrote:Not many people riding there and seeing a lorry parked at a filling station seems adequate defence for killing someone.
Have you looked into saccadic masking? The fact that the driver may have turned his head to look at the truck, focussed on it, then turned back could well be a factor in the accident.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With the limited information available, it appears to be an accident. A very unfortunate one but a genuine accident ... no one to blame, yet perhaps everyone involved could have done a little more to have helped prevent it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

https://www.facebook.com/Bikepacking/vi ... 0480/?t=20

Saw this shared on FB re: MH's light set-up.

Looks pretty good really.

Poor sod :sad:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

If that's barely visible, we're all fecked.

The only things I usually have over that are a bit more in the way of reflectives.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Much better read and asks a lot of questions of the way it is being handled..

https://cycle.org.au/index.php/articles ... ll-inquest

Let's just hope he truly can rest in peace, we won't see many of his kind in life.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:With the limited information available, it appears to be an accident. A very unfortunate one but a genuine accident ... no one to blame, yet perhaps everyone involved could have done a little more to have helped prevent it.
Agree Stu.

I had to walk out of the office after seeing this on the splash page today. Still makes me tear up a little that he's dead.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:With the limited information available, it appears to be an accident. A very unfortunate one but a genuine accident ... no one to blame, yet perhaps everyone involved could have done a little more to have helped prevent it.
We've all tuned out while driving for a second or two
We've all driven somewhere, and can't remember part of the journey
Mike did always wear black
We've all had crud over our rear light and not known about it until we stop and got off
We've all had stuff drop down and cover out rear light or have it move sideways and not notice
We all miss Mike, we were all shocked and upset but you have to feel sorry for the car driver if he was doing nothing wrong.

Such a terrible accident and a loss to us all
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

That article was terrible as was the report as its nothing like hunger games.
Looks pretty good really.
Agreed you can see his front light lighting up the road never mind his back one so even if it was covered he should still have seen the front one.

I agree john we have all had things happen but I have yet to run over a cyclist- and there is no way they would be saying anything other than what they are saying as they wont "confess"*
Also sick of seeing plod do reports like this with cyclist it seems like it was designed to make him as "invisible" as possible when videos show he was clearly visible., its like blaming women for what they wore and being there at that time etc.

RIP

* to be clear i have no idea if the account is true or false but they wont be saying i was fiddling with my radio and texting my mate when i ran him over.
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

It's very sad and hard to comment because it can so quickly sound like victim blaming but...that video isn't great is it. I mean....wear a white jersey at least...

I've used more lights to ride through street lamp lit Central London.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Really? Crikey, to me that looks good.
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Really? Crikey, to me that looks good.
+1 to that. Plus that front light. Its not a csr that the front light cannot be seen from behind. A front 'to see light' will defo be seen spreading across the road. Otherwise Mike would have been unable to continue riding!

Anyway. Lets see how it all pans out whrn the family speak and give their evidences tomorrow...
redefined_cycles

https://cycle.org.au/index.php/articles ... ll-inquest

Some good info into the days proceedings here
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Re lighting. I live in the sticks but get a lot of cyclists along the lane, the best rear light setups by far are two lights, one on the seatpost or seat stay and one on your helmet (not that helmet). From a driving perspective the double light setup is really noticeable, when I'm riding drivers slow a lot more than they do for a single light.
RIP

Post by RIP »

On main BBC page now. Apparently when it's dark it's 'hard for a motorist to see'. Gosh really. I'm under the impression that darkness has been a regular daily occurence for a while now. I hate that term 'motorist', journalists seem to use it to downplay responsibilities. Implies we're still in the pootling era of car usage when people used to 'get the car out' on a Sunday. Similarly unpleasant when we get told 'the car crashed into the cyclist' as if it was some curious animate object with the driver just along for the ride.

If ten jumbo jets a year crashed in the UK and killed everyone on board we'd have done something about it by now.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote:If ten jumbo jets a year crashed in the UK and killed everyone on board we'd have done something about it by now.
Started making planes out of the same stuff as Black Boxes?