Is this bike any good for bikepacking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bikeandbivvy

Is this bike any good for bikepacking?

Post by bikeandbivvy »

So I can't afford a Surly etc and have limited cash and don't think i'll get a great bike secondhand for £300 so another option is to look at topping up my cash with my cycle to work scheme . I looked at an extra £300 (I don't like to over commit!) and for that (well actually £585) I can get this Trek X-Caliber 7

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... 7/p/21576/

Seems to have good frame, ok fork and basic groupset (I didn't want 1x11). Frame design is good for bags etc I figured but you guys/gals all have far more experience than I! Sensible purchase for the money? Waste of time? Any advice welcome
Lazarus

Re: Is this bike any good for bikepacking?

Post by Lazarus »

its ok but you will get more bang for your bucks with second hand
personally i dont like coil forks and especially so for bikepacking [ i put more air pressure in when i am loaded up and spring lacks the tuneability] though most use a rigid fork.
IMHO pretty much any bike will do for bikepacking though I tend to avoid carbon and prefer steel

YMMV
bikeandbivvy

Post by bikeandbivvy »

Thanks Lazarus I was seeing what was available for £300 cash v £300 cash+£300 cycle to work and the latter seemed to offer more plus its all new parts & warranty etc where as I could end up spend more on wear and tear sooner on a second hand bike.

Air sprung forks would be better but not within budget on new that I can find! Think given budget I'm a bit limited. Not even got my bike bags yet just got a rucksack tarp & bivvy!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

At least coil sprung forks won't blow seals and leave you with bottomed out forks... and cranking up the preload a bit will accommodate a heavy front bag
As above any bike will go bikepacking that one would be ideal
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

htrider wrote:At least coil sprung forks won't blow seals and leave you with bottomed out forks... and cranking up the preload a bit will accommodate a heavy front bag
As above any bike will go bikepacking that one would be ideal
Other than mine which had the spring blow out the top near white bridge. Rockshox XC32 IRC

Had a more aero ride back to Aberdeen :-bd