Neoprene Gloves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Neoprene Gloves

Post by Mariner »

Any good?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
RIP

Re: Neoprene Gloves

Post by RIP »

Sweaty ?

https://www.dissent133.com/ ? I like mine.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

Acquired taste IMO. Can be sweaty. Depending on thickness, not always that warm when wet in cold conditions. My old Gil ones fit well and are comfortable.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used some Polaris neoprene gloves over the past couple of winters when not using pogies. They never feel particularly warm, but neither do they let my hands get very cold. Obviously damp inside so putting them on after a cold bivvy is a bit of a shivery shock. Kelp them in your sleeping bag overnight!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Have neoprene gloves for scuba diving
100% wind proof
100% water proof (mine also have taped seams)
Fairly warm, even when wet
Dexterity can be reduced, especially with 5mm version, not so bad with 3mm
As commented, zero breathable

https://www.simplyscuba.com/products/fo ... dive-glove

Used the 5mm at 5C water temperature with little issue; was still wishing I had dry gloves
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

SealSkinz seem to be pushing them this year but look a bit big given the way they are constructed.
Are they actually waterproof or are your hands supposed to warm up the water that penetrates them?
I picked up some waterproof work gloves on discount in the garden centre over the summer but yet to try them.

Reg that looks a costly set up.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Somewhat premium I'll grant you (*)(**). 'tis why I have a beaten up 13-year old motor that I rarely use and a house that looks like the Addams Family's, neither of which bother me in the least :smile:. But...what price toasty pinkies eh?. Didn't go with the windproof layer though.

(*) But less costly than the umpteen pairs of Se*k*z that I've had while "giving them just ONE more chance....." :lol:.

(**) Probably best just to get Stu to post some well-chosen Marigolds......
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The horrendous smell they develop after a few days eventually put me off....
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mariner wrote:Are they actually waterproof or are your hands supposed to warm up the water that penetrates them?
neoprene is waterproof, and ones hands heat up any water layer.
a neoprene garment needs to keep a water layer in place that the body has warmed, so loose enough to permit a water layer to establish, and close enough to not let the water flush out.
why a neoprene garment (such as the gloves above) is waterproof, to stop the warm water leaking out; heck my wetsuit even has a dry suit type zip.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I use Castelli Diluvio neoprene gloves on cold wet days. I personally like them a lot but... they stink and your hands are wet from sweat if not the rain as well.
I don't have any problems with dexterity compared with other cold weather gloves
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Aldi this coming Thursday I believe.
;)
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

PaulB wrote:Aldi this coming Thursday I believe.
;)
Thanks for the heads up. :-bd
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Grabbed myself a pair of the Aldi specials whilst in getting a couple of the moon style lights. They seem to be well fitting and of reasonable quality, I'll see how I get on with them. Hopefully they see me through to pogie season :-bd
Last edited by Blair512 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techno

Post by techno »

There's quite a few gloves Available with neoprene backs and leatheralike palms.
I use the 100% brisker, good glove down to about 5°c even ok below that for a couple of hours available for reasonable price too
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use the 100% Brisker gloves as well and they've lasted well and are good down to that temp. If you don't mind either orange or yellow backs they are on special at the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/100-brisker-cold-weather-glove/

I've just bought the wife an orange pair, she likes the colour and as a bonus as they clash with her windproof she normally wears it makes her hands more visible when indicating at junctions on the road :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

sean_iow wrote:I use the 100% Brisker gloves as well and they've lasted well and are good down to that temp. If you don't mind either orange or yellow backs they are on special at the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/100-brisker-cold-weather-glove/

I've just bought the wife an orange pair, she likes the colour and as a bonus as they clash with her windproof she normally wears it makes her hands more visible when indicating at junctions on the road :-bd
Thanks for this, I've just returned the Aldi neoprene ones and ordered these instead.
May satan walk with you
Ian

Post by Ian »

I use these:

https://windowcleancentre.co.uk/cleanin ... ves/165/24

Bit slippy on ESI grips, but otherwise very good. Warm in dry conditions down to minus 3 in my experience, and keeps hands warm in the wettest of conditions.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Get windsurfing palm free mitts. All of the warmth/waterproofing without the smell or inconvenience of not being able to use fingers for phones/Garmin’s etc.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

dlovett wrote:Get windsurfing palm free mitts. All of the warmth/waterproofing without the smell or inconvenience of not being able to use fingers for phones/Garmin’s etc.
Just wrong. :???: :lol: