Headlamps (Lockable specifically)...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Headlamps (Lockable specifically)...

Post by Richard G »

I've pretty much hit the point when I need to throw out the headlamp I've got because on all my recent trips it's ended up getting switched on when in my bag which has resulted it in only having emergency usefulness after that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good (not too expensive) option which has simple to use controls, is lockable, and is capable of outputting red light?

Cheers.

Edit - Oh, and by lockable I don't mean one where you hold the button for a while to turn it on. Obviously when it's in a bag it could have something pressed up against it continuously which makes that functionality fairly hit and miss.
Scattamah

Re: Headlamps (Lockable specifically)...

Post by Scattamah »

I've not long moved into a Petzl e+LITE. Good for when you're at the bivvy spot, but I wouldn't want to try ride by it. Good on the weight side too.

Greetz

S.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Not necessarily lockable but my alpkit gamma has removable aaa batteries which amounts to a similar thing. Plastic casing looks like it could be used a fair bit but this would still be a faff. I’m sure there are better options out there but it’s 180 lumen output is enough to bimble by, darkness descending it limits your speed, but does not stop play altogether.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Petzl e+LITE user here as well, been using mind for over a year now. Nice and small and ideal for use around the bivvy, definitely no good for riding with though. Shouldn't get turned on accidentally either when in your bag etc.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The one I have has removable AAA but I'm specifically trying to avoid any sort of faffage / potential to lose batteries.

E+Lite could be an option, but given the choice I'd probably go for something a little heavier so as to have an emergency riding option too.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Lupine piko
Requires a long press turn on
Believe can be configured to require a double press
Can disconnect battery.
Quite versatile as can be helmet, head, or bike mounted
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

A very left field suggestion, but a Smarties lid taped over the power switch makes any torch locked...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

This is true, but I'd probably lose the ghetto lid. :lol:
Asposium wrote:Lupine piko
That's more of a proper bike light (and no red output).

Definitely not what I'd call cheap either. I'm talking sub £25. :P
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:This is true, but I'd probably lose the ghetto lid. :lol:
Asposium wrote:Lupine piko
That's more of a proper bike light (and no red output).

Definitely not what I'd call cheap either. I'm talking sub £25. :P
in true bearbones style it is multi-purpose. :lol:
use during the ride, then to set up camp, then in the tent.
i paid £200
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This is no help, but I've never understood why they make lights that are so easy to turn on. My Aldi Moon-copy lights are great, but they're short press on/long press off, so they're invariably on when I get them out of any sort of bag. Why not make them long press on/short press off like the Alpkit one I have? /rant
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Exposure need a quick double-press to switch them on. Mine have never come on accidentally.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

'kinell. The exposure ones are all over £100 too. I think I'd rather carry unlimited spare batteries (or smarties tops)!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Pretty much anything by Fenix and then partially unscrew one end so it breaks the contact between button and battery whilst not actually separating the two bits. I used to do this when they were my only biking light. Struggle to remember the model numbers and Fenix's range is pretty vast.

Great quality gear and probably something in you budget / size / price range. If you want to helmet or bar mount you'll probably need to get a Twofish lockblock or knock-off.

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches.html

You could probably achieve the same using any equivalent pen-style torch from ebay. Particularly like Fenix's nifty rechargeable batteries that have the micro-USB port in the battery to enable recharging (and avoids needing to waterproof a USB port on the outside of the device. Maybe not so good for charging off a dynamo whilst riding though.