Which bike to use?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Yerfdog81

Which bike to use?

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Hi,
I'm getting things together ready for my first bikepacking session, though I'm still undecided as to which bike to use. Would you use:
A) an Orange Five, full suspension mountain bike with 26" wheels
B) a gravel/road bike with off road tyres (700c)?

Any opinions most welcome!
jam bo

Re: Which bike to use?

Post by jam bo »

Depends. Where are you going?
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Not sure yet :???:
I want to head off road predominantly, probably in the Brecon beacons, just wondered what the general feeling is for which is best, they both have obvious pro's and cons
slarge

Post by slarge »

It doesn't matter, really. Which is the one you enjoy riding the most in that sort of terrain? Use that.

There's too much obsession over the best bike for bikepacking. Just use what you like best.

Orange five by the way
psling

Post by psling »

If that is your choice of bikes and you want to do an "off road" ride with overnight bivvy in the Brecon Beacons National Park I'd say the MTB with a back pack and a bar roll. If you're planning bigger mileage along narrow lanes and fire roads then the other bike would be fine. A lot of the off-road riding in the area would certainly be more comfortable with either suspension or 50mm+ tyres even if it is doable on a skinnier tyred bike.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good luck with the trip! Very wide variety of situations in the Beacons, so, being playful here, how about turning the decision on its head: match the terrain to a bike rather than the other way round. ie. toss a coin for which bike, then look for some terrain to make "best" use of it. But as Steve's already said, "doesn't matter" - you'll frequently hear that in This Place :smile:.

Not had a "kit list" from anyone for a while, would you be happy airing with us what you might be taking on board? Always interesting to hear new angles on things.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Either pick a route and then the best bike for that route or pick the bike and pick a route to suit the bike.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Bikes are so last year. What sort of packraft will you be taking? :wink:

(Orange Five)
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I'm kinda wishing I'd kept my Genesis High Lat 29er, would of been ideal for a bike packing bicycle.
Currently riding a 29er Procal xc bike, 29er Ex Fuel and a Domane road bike which im hoping to fit some 35mm cross tyres on for some adventuring, we'll see.

good luck on your trip
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Wow, great response from everyone, thanks. Got a good welcome feeling for a newbie :-bd
I am way more comfortable on my five but with the rear suspension set up there's not much room for a frame bag. I was definitely over thinking it, backpack and a bar roll sounds a perfect combo for a first trip. Im thinking a light one man tent, sleeping bag and some bare cooking essentials will see me right to get a feel for things
Last edited by Yerfdog81 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I were just starting out, the last piece of luggage I'd buy would be a frame bag as most hold far less than you imagine they will. If you do go with a tent, consider packing it in seperate bits rather than as intended ... it'll often allow you to make the best use of limited space.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I'm yet to bike pack so to speak ordered a koala 13L seat pack and a fuel pod from Alpkit last month, few more bits to get a hold of in terms of sleeping arrangements and hopefully it wont be to late in the year to have a bash without freezing to death on a mountain top :lol:
If the bikes I have are sufficient I'll roll with them if not maybe get something built over the winter if the funds are available :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

hopefully it wont be to late in the year to have a bash without freezing to death on a mountain top
Winter's often the best time ... well, it tends to produce many of the most memeroble trips which is kind of the same thing :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

If you're heading out as the temperature drops through Autumn into Winter then, if you haven't already got one, an insulated sleep mat is a worthwhile investment. Can be done cheaply but bulkily with a closed-cell mat or at more expense with an inflatable mat like a NeoAir, Exped or similar. Also, a sleeping bag liner will add a small amount of warmth plus keep your bag cleaner!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Leerowe76, sounds like we're in a similar situation.
Glad to read the comments about the colder weather producing amazing memories, gonna get my stuff together pronto and get planning that first overnighter :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Winter's often the best time ... well, it tends to produce many of the most memeroble trips which is kind of the same thing :wink:
+10 on this. With a bit of forward thinking/smart purchasing, your winter kit can be your year-round setup.
Also, if you can bikepack in the UK winter, dry weather outings in the warmer months/climates feel easy.

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"colder weather = memories" - yep, seconded. And if it's dark so much the better. Ah, I've gone all Wistful For Winter now.

Winter Event 2017:

Interesting 'parking' techniques at the dodgy bend before Cat n Fiddle a month later (the motors, not my bike parking!)

And how could we possibly forget this one!

Chilly weather? Love it.

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Great pics them RIP
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Also don't be afraid to put out a message on here for your first trip see if anyone can join you , I done it in February and got invited down to Salop with scattamah and Mike ,roads and hill covered in ice -6 through the night and my bike weighed about 30kg ,used a old vaude tent , not sure whether to thank Scott and Mike or curse them as now I get all excited when I can work a night out in around the family,after realising this has taken the place of climbing in my life ,I then (reluctantly) started to change my kit ,reckon it'll be another year before I have it sorted though , enjoy your first trip
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Thanks for the tip, I may just do that, it's daunting the thought of soloing the first trip
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Orange Five