Solar Charging

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Solar Charging

Post by Mart »

anyone do solar charging in stead of (or to compliment) a dynamo? How do you do it?

- what charger?
- how heavy is the kit?
- Where do you have it when cycling along?
- Does it work in marginal, cloudy conditions?
- what sort of power output how much do you need?

so many questions .... Help someone
Last edited by Mart on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
Lazarus

Re: Solar Charging

Post by Lazarus »

what charger FREELOADER
- how heavy is the kit?- NOT VERY NEVER WEIGHED IT
- Where do you have it when cycling along?- SOMEWHERE FACING THE SUN TOP OF BARS/CROSSBAR OR SADDLE BAG
- Does it work in marginal, cloudy conditions? YES BUT TO BE FAIR IT WORKS MARGINALLY IN BRIGHT SUNLIGHT :wink:
- what sort of power output how much do you need? NOT SURE CHARGE ONE DEVICE PER DAY IN SUMMER THOUGH I WOULD NOT IKE TO DEPEND ON IT ALONE SO I ALSO HAVE A POWERBANK JUST IN CASE

Latest version seems to include a battery pack and claims 28 hours to a full charge

https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/solar ... ader-sixer

I also have a cheap Chinese EBAY unit that I have yet to use but cost £7 and does one device
psling

Post by psling »

Mart wrote:... in stead of (or to compliment) a synonym?
I'm guessing in this case the synonym is dynamo... :grin:

Sorry, can't help with your actual questions though!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Mart

Post by Mart »

psling wrote:
Mart wrote:... in stead of (or to compliment) a synonym?
I'm guessing in this case the synonym is dynamo... :grin:
Im sub standard at spelling too but im not that bad :lol: Yes sorry think I got spellchecked - will amend
Last edited by Mart on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I've used a power traveller solar monkey (I think).

Too bulky/heavy for bikepacking. On a tour with panniers I strapped it to the top of one and then used to point it at the sun at camp.

From memory (this is 3 years ago) took something daft like two days to charge the internal battery unless it was mega sunny and then that battery would charge a phone probably once if that.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Mart wrote:anyone do solar charging in stead of (or to compliment) a dynamo? How do you do it?

- what charger?
- how heavy is the kit?
- Where do you have it when cycling along?
- Does it work in marginal, cloudy conditions?
- what sort of power output how much do you need?

so many questions .... Help someone
have some goal zero solar kit that i have taken when doing multi-day backpacking in iceland.
I used a Goal zero nomad 14 plus (have since bought a second)
panel is about 500g
wouldn't even consider using it for cycling
it does work in cloudy conditions; however the output is rubbish

for bikepacking i wouldn't even consider solar.
the panel needs to be pointing at the sun
no where convenient to mount a nomad 14
for the expense a dynamo hub would be more consistent
or, if mains is available a mains charger and usb packs

a solar panel might be useful if...
doing a long tour with mains isn't possible
a long tour where there will be many no moving days
when going somewhere sunny
.....and ideally cycling with the sun facing the panel
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

These always seem fine if you're chilling on the beach or something, but for what they weigh I'd rather just carry an additional 10k mAh pack for guaranteed power when bikepacking.

Might feel differently if the tech improves at all.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used a PowerMonkey/SolarMonkey for a multi-day Springtime trip in Scotland (i.e. not a Saharan summer). It worked well enough to keep my Edge 705 fully charged each day and with a little left over to boost the phone. 705 is pretty low power usage compared with lots of modern devices though so YMMV.
ripio

Post by ripio »

For me, a dynamo hub would not provide enough power on an off road bikepacking trip.
I've used a dynamo hub on road touring for a few years and it's fine if you aren't in mountainous terrain but if you are it won't cut the mustard. You spend hours going slowly uphill generating very little, and minutes going downhill generating a decent amount.

Solar is a viable alternative/adjunct these days.
Last year touring in Shetland in May for two weeks, my Goal Zero 3.5w panel kept my phone and camera batteries charged via a powerbank.
This year, bikepacking in mainland Scotland it also did a good job at keeping everything charged.
Both tours benefited from glorious sunshine most days though.

A decent larger panel, maybe 14w plus, should be more than capable as long as you get at least some sunshine.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Isn't that why most people have passthrough batteries these days? For dynamo purposes I mean.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Richard G wrote:Isn't that why most people have passthrough batteries these days? For dynamo purposes I mean.
Yeah but you still won't generate enough power in hilly terrain to keep your phone/camera/whatever charged.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Really? I'd have thought it would be fairly easy to keep a power bank topped up. Maybe I'm just a speed machine. :cool:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Consider an Igaro USB charger if you go down the solar + dynamo route. It has the option of wiring in the solar panel to an accessory port in addition to dynamo input. It takes power preferentially from the solar panel which they claim reduces dynamo drag.
I have used a solar panel in the past > 10 years ago in addition to a dynamo and agree with alot of what's already been said - i.e. It doesn't seem to add all that much when you are riding due to the need to align the panel properly to the sun. Hard/impossible during a ride. If you are on a long term tour stopping early in the day in sunny territories off grid then a panel will be a good option as it increases your ability to charge beyond the hours you cycle.
Goal Zero look good at the moment, mine was made by Coleman.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mart

Post by Mart »

The Igaro was on my list, just have not had time to do my research. Good to hear its got flexibility :-bd
Thanks
2924 miles per Gallon