Racing in Norway anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Racing in Norway anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks interesting and very hilly. 3000k around Norway next year. Circular route so logistics are easier. It'll cost you 240 euro but that includes the use of a tracker ... and you get a hat :roll: Anyway, it looks lovely. EDIT: It doesn't actually say but after looking at the pictures, I'm assuming it's on road.

http://adventurebikeracing.com/aroundnorway.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Re: Racing in Norway anyone?

Post by Dave Barter »

Tempted because Norway is bloody lush
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
gairym

Post by gairym »

15 days to complete it which means an average of 200km per day and ~2500m of alt gain.....for 15 consequetive days.

So not superhumans only but that's a big old commitment and it would only take a bit of a mechanical or other delay and the ask on the remaining days would be considerable.

Looks bloody amazing though!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'd be tempted too especially as I can get there cheaper and quicker in the summer than to mainland UK :lol:

Recovery from new knee a side, I've only ever done one 200km + day, never mind 15 in a row :oops:
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I'm tempted too, mainly because it's a 20 min ride from my house to the start! :-bd 200km a day on road is probably fairly doable as the time of year means about 20+ hours of daylight and if the weather is like it was this summer it would be a fantastic ride. It doesn't mention manned checkpoint,s so tracker rental aside, 240 euros does seem a bit steep, but so is everything here!
HUX

Post by HUX »

Yes very tempted but it does seem expensive for a gpx!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

They provide a tracker which is presumably factored in to the price
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

PaulB2 wrote:They provide a tracker which is presumably factored in to the price
There are four ferry crossings mentioned, but it doesn't explicitly include that in the "what you get" section.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Really interested, my main concern would be how much the daily target distance would take from the ‘enjoyment’ factor..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Looks good. Can't say I'd be concerned about hitting the distances on road. I've done 140km in steep terrain in under 5 hours a few times so I reckon 8-9 hours a day at a comfortable pace would see me through.

That assuming it is actually road / light gravel rather than anything chunkier.

Not that I can actually make it anyway (prior commitments).
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Facebook comments section states that it is all paved. Big tyres still a good choice as the roads can be a bit rough!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Looking around their website I notice that there's another event in May that's possibly more my style.

1600km with 5000m of alt gain to be completed in 8 days (7.5 but eight days of daylight riding).

Obviously much less money, less traveling and includes a place to crash the night before/after.

But.....the route takes you around Holland not Norway so not quite so scenic :???:

Entries for that close tomorrow and apparently they've already filled 80 of the 90 available places.

It's tempting but it'd mean no Tuscany for me next year :cry:
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Having already covered most of the route, the roads are nice, the route itself is very "Norwegian" (you will get to see a bunch of the tourist associated images of Norway), and the price seems good value seeing as you get a tracker and beer at the end (remember this is Norway).

The only thing I would say (and was mentioned before) is the weather. It would be the best thing ever if the weather was like this summer we had, but if the weather is the default, then its going to be character building to say the least, and you wont see much in the low cloud and rain....
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

I love Norway, me. Looks like an amazing ride.

If 3000km is a bit far, the climbing is a bit much, and the cost as well, just next door is Finland. Ruska 2018 is on now. 2000km, less climbing and, "Price.. should be between 5 and 20 euros to cover all the needed brevet cards, bells and whistles."

https://www.randonneurs.fi/ruska-ride-a ... land-2018/
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Worth noting that at this time of year, there's nearly 24 hour daylight which has the advantage of not needing to take a light but makes sleeping, particularly bivvying tricky. I did a motorbike trip up there a few years ago and found that using the little huts in campsites meant that I could get a decent sleep and meant I wasn't lying in a field in broad daylight which can be a bit exposed.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I was up the there in June this year and saw no darkness. Weather was poor on the West coast with just the occasional nice half a day. Beautiful views though. We were told it was nice down south or that you should have come in May!

Only had a quick look at the route outline but you will see a lot of campervans!

Don't think Richard G is factoring enough time for photo stops ;-)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's what one handed cycling is for... :geek: