Pack raft update

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Pack raft update

Post by JohnClimber »

After the post office miss directed my Alpaca Caribou from Andy at Back Country Scotland it arrived today.

For those who are interested here are some details, hopefully I'll get my first paddle next week while on holiday

Office shot, it's the all new grey colour which is just as light weight but claimed to be more robust

Fat bike loading test, (I think I need a couple more longer straps for the 4.8" tyres and I'll be fitting it with SPD's so as not to have the pedal pins damage the raft

In the Wildcat Lion Harness

Rafy weighs in at just over 2kg

The full kit which arrived today.

Wish me luck :oops:
benp1

Re: Pack raft update

Post by benp1 »

Good luck!

Can't believe how small it packs up. You can get neoprene flat pedal covers if you're worried about that
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Is the orange bucket for bailing out?
jBay

Post by jBay »

Taylor wrote:Is the orange bucket for bailing out?
Or on board toilet?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Looking good John.

I see you haven't gone for a spraydeck, which is something I feel I'm missing a bit with mine. But at least we'll be in the same boat (sorry!) when we sort out a paddle together.

Where are you off next week?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Looks good! How small does the PFD pack and where/how will you carry it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there no seperate back rest John?
May the bridges you burn light your way
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Fair do's it does look like some mighty fine adventures will be had on it. Its a big shame I'm poo scared of water otherwise I'd join you!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looks cool, I reckon with some creative brackets the paddles could function as very effective mudguards :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

What’s that big loop on the front for?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

To answer your questions

benp1 - You can get neoprene flat pedal covers if you're worried about that = SPD's will be used on every bike packing adventure

Taylor - Is the orange bucket for bailing out? = errrhh no!

thenorthwind - I see you haven't gone for a spraydeck = The Caribou of for non white water rafting and load carrying across flat water
&
Where are you off next week? = Jura, Islay and Arran

Charliecres - How small does the PFD pack and where/how will you carry it? = It doesn't compress down, but it's light so it may go on my back = https://backcountry.scot/product/baltic ... yancy-aid/

Bearbonesnorm - Is there no seperate back rest John? = No it doesn't come with one, not sure if I need one of if it can be retro fitted

summittoppler - Its a big shame I'm poo scared of water otherwise I'd join you! = You don't need to be a strong swimmer just a good floater with a life jacket who can kick their legs to get to safety and to keep warm.

Charliecres - What’s that big loop on the front for? = For hauling the boat up and out of the water or lowering it in again.

Info including a video here, the new grey colour is meant to be tougher then their other colours while remaining as light weight as before.
https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/product/caribou/
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

JohnClimber wrote: thenorthwind - I see you haven't gone for a spraydeck = The Caribou of for non white water rafting and load carrying across flat water
&
I've found you still take on quite a bit of water dripping off the paddle (even with drip rings) and from general splashing about, enough to get a wet arse. But then your Caribou has the newer, bigger seat so that may help in that department.

Sounds like a great place to test it out. Just don't go for a closer look at the Corryvreckan!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep - there can be quite a lot of drippage off the paddle - especially on longer trips where fatigue affects technique. I almost always use the spraydeck.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

JohnClimber wrote: Where are you off next week? = Jura, Islay and Arran
Boat looks ace John - have a great holiday.

This would be a nice spot for a paddle through the little rocks and islands John... on the south side of Islay past Ardbeg distillery... loads of seals in there last time I was there and should be pretty sheltered. Close to the road too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rhy ... -3.3877598
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Chew

Post by Chew »

If you are venturing out into the sea, just check the tide timetables before hand.

The currents are very strong in that part of the world and things could go wrong very quickly if you miscalculate.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Fat bike plus packraft equals pedalo no?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Is there no seperate back rest John?
I'm comfy on calm waters without a back rest. From WW II upwards and very definately at WW III I wouldn't want to be without.
thenorthwind wrote:
JohnClimber wrote: thenorthwind - I see you haven't gone for a spraydeck = The Caribou of for non white water rafting and load carrying across flat water
&
I've found you still take on quite a bit of water dripping off the paddle even with drip rings and from general splashing about, enough to get a wet arse. But then your Caribou has the newer, bigger seat so that may help in that department.

Sounds like a great place to test it out. Just don't go for a closer look at the Corryvreckan!
Carefully placing a drip ring might help - but same here; even on calm water a bunch of hours paddling will get you wet from a dripping paddle. Also on the sleeves.

[smart-arse mode on]
JohnClimber wrote:Wish me luck
JohnClimber wrote:Where are you off next week? = Jura, Islay and Arran
No idea how much experience you have paddling in the sea, but you're heading into a serious area for kayak beginners and even more so for packraft beginners. I did my BCU 3* seakayaking training mostly in the Firth of Lorn and wow... quite some surprises with the effects of the swell and tides. Even without wind. Put wind into the situation and it gets quite complex.
You'll need luck if you're not aware of being at sea. If you plan to only paddle a few meters off land, remember along some of those shores you have cliffs and often shoals which will ask for some safety distance when there's a breeze or swell and suddenly you find yourself 200 m from land. Sea temperature is 13 °C in Oban at the moment which gives you about 13 min to get back in or onto land unless you're wearing a wet or dry suit. Yes, packrafts are easy to re-enter. But your's doesn't seem to have a cargo-zip, so gear is loaded on the boat and then there's that fatbike. I can only tell from white water river running and training in calm water, that flipping your boat back (you swimming) and hopping in isn't as easy depending on luggage and stuff you're wearing (PFD, tow/throw line around hip). In winds you can at least use the wind to help you flip the raft back. But make sure you train it and know how swimming is in the clothing/PFD you plan wearing.

I've seen the difference of currents and winds on some object (myself, tennis ball and seakayak included) in the Lorn and it's quite frightening how fast things can go in either direction. In the "right" place/moment you're simply not able to get to your boat and will have to swim ashore.

Obviously going with an experienced friend adds security.

There's much more to it and whilst I fully understand and often too just want to go out and have fun, it's actually also fun to get into a newish activity with good training and enjoy a steeper learning curve with less risk (or call it unneccessary risk). I started packrafting with little exercise and training and soon went on a remote river in Alaska (afraid of many things, insecure and even easy white water seemed like a dragon we needed to kill - was fun, but I surely would have enjoyed it even more with more knowledge/training). Did more rafting at home but was always afraid to go a bit bigger. Then, finally, after 3 years did a 2 day white water course and my paddling technique and confidence has exploded since. I actually know what I'm doing and can enjoy the same adventures more. If you're afraid that you'll loose part of the fun by dropping risk levels, you still can up the game and get back into that tickling spot.

[smart-arse mode off]

Enjoy your holiday :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote:Yes, packrafts are easy to re-enter. But your's doesn't seem to have a cargo-zip, so gear is loaded on the boat and then there's that fatbike. I can only tell from white water river running and training in calm water, that flipping your boat back (you swimming) and hopping in isn't as easy depending on luggage and stuff you're wearing (PFD, tow/throw line around hip). In winds you can at least use the wind to help you flip the raft back. But make sure you train it and know how swimming is in the clothing/PFD you plan wearing.
You have around zero chance of righting a fully-loaded packraft. The easiest option (though only for short distances) is to kneel on the upturned raft and head for shallow water.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Chew wrote:If you are venturing out into the sea, just check the tide timetables before hand.

The currents are very strong in that part of the world and things could go wrong very quickly if you miscalculate.
Cheers Chew, I was planning to ride freshwater inland locks first then on to very calm and sheltered bays not facing into the prevailing weather direction.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

JohnClimber wrote:
Chew wrote:If you are venturing out into the sea, just check the tide timetables before hand.

Cheers Chew, I was planning to ride freshwater inland locks first then on to very calm and sheltered bays not facing into the prevailing weather direction.
Good plan :-bd
Robster

Post by Robster »

Just a note to say, speak to your local RNLI contact, they have a sea safety pack available, free, that includes reflective stickers and a waterproof phone case.... Did I mention FREE!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thanks for your reply Alpinum.
I won't be heading out to sea until I've had a lot of practice.
I'm thinking of the inland freshwater Loch Finnlaggan and/or Loch Gorm both on Islay for my first low wind day paddle close to the shore to start with.

Tiny steps to big adventures
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I took my pack raft to Jura. locked my bike up at the head of West Loch Tarbert and paddled down for the loch for an explore and a night in the bothy. It was great. You need to catch the tide down and back up again and it runs quite fast through the narrows - but it's pretty sheltered and a great place to explore. You can paddle down to the raised beaches which are quite difficult to get to by land.

Colonsay was fun too and sheltered between Colonsay and Oronsay at high tide.

I guess I'd better say that I paddle a sea kayak quite a lot and have paddled round Jura a few times so I have the benefit of experience on the water... But despite the fact that the area has some pretty serious coastline, given reasonable conditions there are places where a Packraft is ideal for exploring and you don't have to always load it up and use it as part of a linear journey. Sometimes it's good to leave the bike and do an out and back trip on the water in a lightly loaded and comfortable raft.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Have been sailing off the west coast of Scotland half a dozen times, so definitely beware of currents and swells...

And....

Keep well away from Corryvreckan...
giryan

Post by giryan »

No idea if this is any good or a bargain, but people do seem into packrafts atm, so figure someone could be interested:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klymit-lwd-packraft