Eccentric Bottom Bracket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Re: Eccentric Bottom Bracket

Post by Zippy »

I’ve found in my experience thus far, that rattle guns tend to work a lot better than massive leverage for freeing stuff off (massive leverage tends to have just snapped things…and I’m fairly good at feeling for the elastic/plastic deformation of stuff, well I think I am!). Not quite sure how you’d do that in this case though…. I did once weld a nut onto the end of a bolt I’d sheared , then use the rattle gun – that’s a test of your welds! (I also think the heat from the welding helped!)

I’m sure I know the answer to this, but have to double check – you are turning the BB the correct direction!?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bob, try actually heating the ebb insert. It should expend quite a bit which will obviously make it tighter but as it cools it might just break the corrosion bond between itself and the shell.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chris - I've not tried the BB shell in the EBB plus a long scaffold tube yet. My experience with trying to remove the bolts on tractor wheels is that you are either successful or there's a subsonic lump of metal hurtling across the yard :lol: The EBB is a sleeve fit, there's a couple of grub screws to hold it in place.

Part of the problem is that there's nothing to gain purchase on the EBB itself other than inserting an old BB shell. Also applying torque, especially such massive torque as suggested, is going to twist the EBB as the other side is fixed by the corrosion there.

Might have to dig the blow torch out :roll: and try heating as per Stu's suggestion and hope differential cooling cracks the seal.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

As Stu says Bob, but if natural cooling doesn't work drop some water on it when it's heated up the sudden temp change does shock it or so I found when trying to remove stuck hubs on the trucks at work , the only thing I'd do is put some wet rags around the frame so that it stays at a lower temp than the BB and so doesn't get the same shock as the BB ,it's a bit different when I'm working with a 200 mm axle compared to 5mm of metal on the frame
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

.... and have you poured stuff down the inside of the frame, say via the seat tube, to act on the "stuck" from both sides?

You probably have but just worth checking :cool:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

stevenshand wrote:
Anyway, next step is to try and get the old PF EBB out, then find something that might last a bit longer than this piss-poor Problem Solvers junk; any recommendations?
We designed a PF EBB which we have made for us by Rideworks. You'll find bearing wear is much better than the PS one as the ground pins that link the 2 cups do a much better job of keeping the bearing in phase. Paul at Rideworks also makes his own seals which are great. We used the PS, the Niner and the Wheels Manufacturing one before this and all had premature bearing wear. Since switching to this, things have been infinitely better. You can buy direct from Rideworks :

https://rideworks.cc/shop/ebb/

if he has no stock (or you want a Shand logo!) you can buy from us.

Steve - thanks for the recommend; no stock of the 73mm version - do you hold any of these? It's a bit more expensive than I hoped, but the whole point of this bike is something that just keeps going with minimal vulnerabilities for failure, so if this component will deliver that then it's worth the extra pennies!