Garmin etrex

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Garmin etrex

Post by Mike »

I'm looking to buy a new Garmin soon and I want one with bluetooth so that I can transfer files easier. Any etrex users know does it have BT? I can't seem to find it on net. Or is it just the edge series that have it? Hmm
techno

Re: Garmin etrex

Post by techno »

My 30X doesn't. That's the extent of my knowledge :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

My 20 doesn't ,think the next one one with Bluetooth mate is the Oregon but that's ££££ more than a etrex
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Mike, no idea on the Etrex, but Garmin released about a month ago a new Edge Explore, its worth a look. Ive had one for a short while now and it's very good indeed. If you want a unit that'll run AA's then no it won't do that, but everything else, well, just works. Which is nice!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well it was the etrex 30x I was looking at so that's the etrex out. The other option then is the oregon if that does. I want one that I can run on AA batts and possibly plugs into a ext power source incase I ever go dynamo hub.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Don't buy an edge explore unless you like continually carrying around batteries to charge the damn thing.

Not that I'm bitter.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

By the time you've set up a bluetooth connection it would be quicker to plug it into your PC.

The Etrex does support device to device file transfer if you've got a friend with a similar device.

If you've got a phone that takes a micro SD you should be able to put the card from the Etrex into the phone and transfer files that way.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My older Oregon lacks Bluetooth but supports file transfer via a USB OTG cable to my phone. It's pretty simple to use. I'm guessing this would work for the Etrex too.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ScotRoutes wrote:My older Oregon lacks Bluetooth but supports file transfer via a USB OTG cable to my phone. It's pretty simple to use. I'm guessing this would work for the Etrex too.
Beware of this as I killed my Sony Xperia using OTG to my Dakota

If you an afford it go for the Oregon 700 which has Bluetooth and a bigger screen than the Etrex. I'm pretty happy with mine apart from the stupidly fiddly screen controls in map view.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

looks to me like the new 30x has wireless connectivity https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/518048

all with 'wireless data sharing' - https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/c12521- ... ducts-desc
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mike wrote:Well it was the etrex 30x I was looking at so that's the etrex out. The other option then is the oregon if that does. I want one that I can run on AA batts and possibly plugs into a ext power source incase I ever go dynamo hub.
Mike, you can check my Oregon at this weekend's LakesBikeFest. Quick summary of power options and usage.
  • Runs off AA batteries.
  • By putting a piece of foil over the nipple in the battery compartment you can fool it into thinking it has its expensive proprietary rechargeable battery pack so can use cheaper or larger capacity rechargeable batteries.
  • Runs off external power supply - best with an "Angle down" connector as this lets you mount the device on the bike mount.
  • When running off external power the power savings settings are ignored :roll: The screen stays on all the time so you have to manually turn it off using a quick press of the power button.
  • Running directly from a dynamo might be a pain as you get a "power lost" screen whenever you stop, if you don't tell it to stay on the unit switches itself off. You've about 30 seconds to do this.
  • I found it best to charge a battery from the dynamo then recharge from that at night.
With a lot of power saving options turned on and minimal screen checking, i.e. for navigation, then I get a full day's riding out of a set of Duracell rechargeables. I still had one bar showing at the end of Saturday's YD200 for example, probably a couple of hours left. I'd started it when I left home about an hour before the start so that's 16hrs at least.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

fatbikerbill wrote:looks to me like the new 30x has wireless connectivity https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/518048

all with 'wireless data sharing' - https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/c12521- ... ducts-desc
it's not bluetooth though from what i remember. Mine has this and it only connects with other garmin wireless devices & ANT+ accesories: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANT_(network)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Need to replace my 8 year old MacBook, but concerned by Apple’s decision to impose USB C onto us; clearly nobody is allowed to own legacy standard USB equipment any more! I know there are adapters to work round this, but pisses me right off that I need to resource a solution to a problem those Cupertino smart-ass dictators have created!

End of Rant.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Need to replace my 8 year old MacBook, but concerned by Apple’s decision to impose USB C onto us; clearly nobody is allowed to own legacy standard USB equipment any more! I know there are adapters to work round this, but pisses me right off that I need to resource a solution to a problem those Cupertino smart-ass dictators have created!

End of Rant.
I agree and also the knobbers that forced me away from RS232 ports, PCMCIA cards, VGA connectors etc...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Dave Barter wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Need to replace my 8 year old MacBook, but concerned by Apple’s decision to impose USB C onto us; clearly nobody is allowed to own legacy standard USB equipment any more! I know there are adapters to work round this, but pisses me right off that I need to resource a solution to a problem those Cupertino smart-ass dictators have created!

End of Rant.
I agree and also the knobbers that forced me away from RS232 ports, PCMCIA cards, VGA connectors etc...
I still pine for the days before this new fangled bios thingy came along and I had to manually boot the computer using 8 toggle switches on the front.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

PaulB2 wrote: I still pine for the days before this new fangled bios thingy came along and I had to manually boot the computer using 8 toggle switches on the front.
I learnt my CNC skills punching the machining sequences on binary tape!

You have to love getting old (not).