Budget disc brakes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Budget disc brakes

Post by techno »

I'm currently running Shimano M615 disc brakes that've developed a horrible squeal. Before you ask I have tried new discs, pads, deglazing and degreasing both and obviously bedding them in. All of which temporarily stops the squeal only for it to return.
~X(

I fear that the calipers have developed leaks which are causing the squeal.

So what would people recommend as a budget (as cheap as possible) alternative?

I've currently got avid bb7 and magura mt2 in mind.

Ta.
quimarche

Re: Budget disc brakes

Post by quimarche »

I've got a pair of TRP Spykes for sale. Used but still fully functional. I'll throw in some Avid brake levers, cables and some sintered pads too. £100 the lot, posted.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

CRC have some deore disc brakes for sale for £24 per end at the moment, got a pair last week, had to swap the hoses over but work great out the box without needing bled.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If they are leaking, you'll see oil running out of the caliper. leaks shouldn't cause squeaks, just make the brake not work. Check your calliper and calliper mount on frame alignment.

If you do go for new ones deores are great but if your calliper mounts are miss-aligned they will still squeal.... Pads wise use sintered ones but don't try Clarks el cheapo ones - squeal central!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If they are leaking, you'll see oil running out of the caliper. leaks shouldn't cause squeaks, just make the brake not work.
Cheap Shimano calipers can develop micro leaks at the pistons (especially if laid up for a time) which contaminate the disc / pads yet don't effect lever feel or leak enough for oil to drip or really build up to noticeable levels.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
If they are leaking, you'll see oil running out of the caliper. leaks shouldn't cause squeaks, just make the brake not work.
Cheap Shimano calipers can develop micro leaks at the pistons (especially if laid up for a time) which contaminate the disc / pads yet don't effect lever feel or leak enough for oil to drip or really build up to noticeable levels.
Could this cause squealing, especially in wet conditions?
techno

Post by techno »

quimarche wrote:I've got a pair of TRP Spykes for sale. Used but still fully functional. I'll throw in some Avid brake levers, cables and some sintered pads too. £100 the lot, posted.
Thanks, but that's more than the cost of either of the ones I mentioned.
techno

Post by techno »

Taylor wrote:CRC have some deore disc brakes for sale for £24 per end at the moment, got a pair last week, had to swap the hoses over but work great out the box without needing bled.
Thanks, that's good to know. I guess these are the ones: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod174433

Very similar to what I'm currently using, so I'm a bit concerned that they'll develop the same problem.
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote:If they are leaking, you'll see oil running out of the caliper. leaks shouldn't cause squeaks, just make the brake not work. Check your calliper and calliper mount on frame alignment.

If you do go for new ones deores are great but if your calliper mounts are miss-aligned they will still squeal.... Pads wise use sintered ones but don't try Clarks el cheapo ones - squeal central!
It could be calliper alignment, but i've already had fork bosses faced by LBS which hasn't sorted it unfortunately.
Maybe I just need a new bike!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

techno mail wrote:
htrider wrote:If they are leaking, you'll see oil running out of the caliper. leaks shouldn't cause squeaks, just make the brake not work. Check your calliper and calliper mount on frame alignment.

It could be calliper alignment, but i've already had fork bosses faced by LBS which hasn't sorted it unfortunately.
Maybe I just need a new bike!
N+1 is always the answer :-bd
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

techno mail wrote:
Taylor wrote:CRC have some deore disc brakes for sale for £24 per end at the moment, got a pair last week, had to swap the hoses over but work great out the box without needing bled.
Thanks, that's good to know. I guess these are the ones: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod174433

Very similar to what I'm currently using, so I'm a bit concerned that they'll develop the same problem.
Those are the ones.
If they don't solve the squeal it'll have to be a new bike I'm afraid.
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

Shimano have had leaky pistons for years now, not just on there cheaper models but even my xt ones.

Magura mt5 are available for £65 an end at the moment.
techno

Post by techno »

Nutsnut wrote:Shimano have had leaky pistons for years now, not just on there cheaper models but even my xt ones.

Where from?
Does anyone have experience of the MT2?
they're £68 for a full set on eBay.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

techno mail wrote:
Nutsnut wrote:Shimano have had leaky pistons for years now, not just on there cheaper models but even my xt ones.

Where from?
Does anyone have experience of the MT2?
they're £68 for a full set on eBay.
Alpinetrek. But they appear to have cleared their stock now so none left.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got no personal experience of them but the LBS were fitting a set of these to a customers bike and quite impressed with them, I think they might also have been recommended on STW recently

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... prod135593

At £41.98 a pair including discs that's quite a bargain.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote:I've got no personal experience of them but the LBS were fitting a set of these to a customers bike and quite impressed with them, I think they might also have been recommended on STW recently

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... prod135593

At £41.98 a pair including discs that's quite a bargain.
Thanks, that's a good tip.