Exposure revo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gummikuh

Exposure revo

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi does anyone have any experience of using one, along with the exposure hub?

Especially the charge port cable to charge USB stuff?

Pete
sean_iow

Re: Exposure revo

Post by sean_iow »

I've got one and it works really well. The light is on all the time it's connected to the hub so there's not enough power left over to usefully charge anything, the output on the back of light is only really any use for powering a red-eye rear light.

If you want to charge stuff from the hub you'll need a dedicated usb converter to connect instead of the light and only charge during the day.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find the Revo a good light but do prefer the greater output of the K-lite ... the Exposure hub lasted 600 miles before self-destructing in a puff of dust and rust.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've run a revo for a few years now. Zero issues, great light and far more reliable that the k-lite one I had. From a sp hub and a son hub I had it wried in parallel with an ewerk for charging. Both played nicely together assuming you were actually moving. The SON always gave a brighter light at low speeds. Aren't Exposure hubs re-branded SP ones? Thats what I was told when I visited the Exposure factory.

The revo does aways seem to upset motorists though when on road sections.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm still using my Revo light unit - that's almost 4 years now. Although I've no science to back it up, I'm convinced that I get better output from my Shimano XT hub than I get from my (still functioning) SP hub.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Lots of conflicting advice!
I don't want to go down the centrelock route if I can avoid it, so that rules out the XT hub, the SON looks to be my best option with the revo lamp unit.
Its a shame Maplins no longer exists!
Has anyone got any clever ways to mount a red eye unit to the tail of a bike with a bike pack on?
Pete
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nowt wrong with centrelock plus you can get an adaptor for about a tenner so you can just use a six bolt rotor.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My first Exposure hub lasted about 250 miles, the replacement was the current (updated) version and this has lasted 5000+ but it now has some just perceivable play in the bearings. These were a tough 5000 miles though in all weathers and included the HT550. When I spoke to SP earlier in the year they said they are no longer making hubs for other people....

I've just ordered a SON from Keep Pedalling for my new bike.

Depending upon how much seatpost you have sticking out/size of the bag you might get away with just mounting the red-eye at the base of the post

It's quite bright so still easily visible from behind even mounted in this position.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm now mostly using cheap(ish) and cheerful Shimano 6 bolt dynamo hubs. Faultless so far.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gummikuh wrote: Has anyone got any clever ways to mount a red eye unit to the tail of a bike with a bike pack on?
Pete
Mine is mounted to the drive-side seatstay.

Image20180311_122015 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

1 X QR SP hub 20,000+KM and Revo on all the time

1 X 15mm SP hub 1600km and so knackered the wheel wobbled

1 X 15mm SP hub 1500km aok and sat in the garage so might have just seized up like Stu's, I haven't checked.

Flip a coin, you might get lucky! :lol:

The Revo itself is brill, just be careful how you aim it.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi Stu,

I suspect you mean something like this? https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-dh- ... ze=32+hole

Is the XT worth the extra or do you find this sort OK? I don't want to keep building wheels every few months.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hi Stu,

I suspect you mean something like this? https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-dh- ... ze=32+hole

Is the XT worth the extra or do you find this sort OK? I don't want to keep building wheels every few months.
That's the one. I've got a couple and see no reason why I'd swap to something else. Bit heavier than most and not as pretty but I'll accept cheap and reliable over that.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I extended the cable on my red-eye and it can then either be mounted on the bottom of the seat tube (just below the dropper bitJ or threaded through the straps on my seat pack and attached with two rubber straps to the end of the dry bag. Will dig out pix for you. It works well in either position.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I have a sinewave beacon, similar out put to the revo but has some great features, a built in usb output, a three position switch ( high/low/ off) and also a power in so you can connect a battery.
When you have a battery plugged in the dynamo gradually takes over power supply duties as you speed up. It also has a tail light output.

https://www.sinewavecycles.com/products ... les-beacon

I’ve been very happy with mine and product support is excellent.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark