LOCK -strong and light [so probly not cheap]

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigRingGrinder

Re: LOCK -strong and light [so probly not cheap]

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Rich3rd wrote:I've found this quite handy, you can get 3-4 bikes on this, https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security ... -Locks/205
I've got one of those and like you used to secure 4 bikes before now when in a pub, cafe or shop. Pretty lightweight (185g I think) and whilst might not be the most robust of locks it acts as a good deterrent.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

5mm steel cable seems reasonable.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

No issue with the cable as such. It's more an issue with how the locking end of the cable connects in to the combination lock where it looks a little weak in my opinion.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Realistically, until you get to 500g or so you're not really going to get anything that'll stop someone with more than 30 seconds to mess with the bike.

Plus of course, any reasonable pair of snips would go through that cable like butter. Back to the "keeping honest people honest" thing in reality.

I'd like to try one and see if it could be broken with bare hands... but I'm not in a rush to waste £20!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Since I last posted (this morning) and saw the reviews of the kne I was contwmplating (seems to have keys breaking on some and the mechanics inside playing on on others, I've decided to go in the '2 wheeled tramp' direction. Just gonna take lots of zip ties with a small set of cutters (I have some snips that are about 50g and tiny)...

Unless off course anyone can suggest a nice set of multitools with a saw blade on the end...

:-bd
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Richard G wrote:Interesting that there's now an Ottolock Version 2. I wonder what they changed.

Edit - https://bikerumor.com/2017/12/04/ottolo ... bike-lock/
Had V1 kickstarter and it had a rubber tip that felt off pretty quickly, they replaced with V2 (and provided return postage to the USA to examine a well used lock for their info.
Seen the videos slagging them but as a quick visible light lock that's handy enough you take everywhere its does the job for me, protection from the opportunist thief, anyone else will take it no mater what lock you use.
The old git in the yellow socks