People's kindness amazes me still

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

People's kindness amazes me still

Post by Mike »

So I'm currently on a bloody hard ride around the peaks area, it's roasting hot and my legs are starting to feel the climbs. Today iv had two great encounters with really genuine nice people. This morning whilst dropping off backtor I find myself drinking tea at a farm with a really nice guy called Neil. Now the seips know him really well as he said they r always calling by for tea n cake :) and Dee knows him to ;) it's strange who you meet.
Then this evening having just dropped out of lady Cannings i decided to have a pint n dinner at the norfolk arms before looking for somewhere to sleep for the night. A lady sat down at the table and invited my to join her so I did and I'm now lay on her living room floor in the suburbs of Sheffield all cozy and clean and Iv had a pleasant evening of conversation with a total stranger!! Makes me smile that people can still be trusting and generally nice.

Here's to the next 200 miles :-bd

And I must add... Thanks very much Cat n Karl for being great host's last night. Giving me a roof over my head some food n beer, I owe u guys!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: People's kindness amazes me still

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having being born and bred up there, I'm not really that surprised. What you've described was quite normal.

Also, I think people often forget that random acts of kindness tend to befall those people who are 'open' to it happening ... some might call it Karma but generally, what goes round comes round. Society is fed a cocktail of resentment, bitterness, greed and even hate which produces a distrusting, insular population but beyond the world of the scaremongering doom-merchants, there's still nice people who don't see generosity of spirit as a weakness.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Sounds superb. I bumped into you on the way up to stanage pole, and you didn't look like your legs were hurting! Good to know you found a roof for the night as it sounded pretty tough out there. Good luck with the ride & the onwards journey.

Paul
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sounds ace Mike - as you know I'm a big fan of gently encouraging nice ladies to offer assistance wherever possible :smile:.

Stu's absolutely right, show interest in people, offer something if you can even if it's just passing the time of day talking rubbish, let stuff happen to you and you'd be amazed at what can randomly occur - eschewing distracting gizmos is one of my techniques, which allows you to look up and out rather than down and in. Embrace your inner tramp :-bd.

Still waiting for my Stuart badge: "bikepacking: keep your options and bowels open" :smile:.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mike

Post by Mike »

Paul... Good to meet you fella ( although I have a dealing iv net you before up on the hills ) Next time I head up here for a ride with mark ( mje25 on here ) ill drop you a message if you want to join us. Last night rood was a blessing the rain this morn was biblical :grin:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Entirely possible that we've met before, I've been mooching about the peaks for most of the last 25 years!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 Stu. IME most people are nice and most of the others are once you get past the facade they've adopted to deal with their lives/jobs.

My failed HT attempt this year unexpectedly ended up in a very posh B&B at Corrour station courtesy of a total stranger.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry