Hooped Bivis (That don't weigh a ton)...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Hooped Bivis (That don't weigh a ton)...

Post by Richard G »

So I've been looking around for some bivi options, but I'm thinking realistically I want one that's not so claustrophobic (I have a couple of the flat type already) and that has a midge / mosquito net built in (for use on the highland trail most likely). Ideally I'm thinking the option to use with / without a tarp would be good, depending on weather... but I'm struggling to find much that works, at least that isn't heavy.

So for comparison, I mostly use a Lunar Solo (750g) for bikepacking. Tons of room, relatively quick to put up, and obviously insect proof. Obviously lacks the whole stealth aspect, so wouldn't be ideal for something like TNR.

Here are some I've found...

Optimum Research Alpine (910g) - Looks like a solid multi season option (would work without a tarp), but 150g heavier than my tent.

Terra Nova Jupiter Lite (550g) - Can't really seem to find much info on this. Not sure how the mesh works.

Optimum Research Helium (510g) - Definitely an option, but apparently the mesh lays on your face if you don't have the outer cover zipped? I guess I'd need to see it in person.

Am I looking at this wrong? Should I just accept that I might have to accept less, for more? I know there's nothing wrong with the bivis I have, but as is quite well known here, I already struggle to sleep and if anything they're even worse when I've tried (is that possible?).
Scattamah

Re: Hooped Bivis (That don't weigh a ton)...

Post by Scattamah »

I'm looking into this at the moment, Rich. There's a plan forming ;) Watch this space.

Greetz

S.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

hi rich , ive got a couple of heliums for me and the young fella , its not the mesh that lies on your face more so the outer cover the way its been designed to roll up but its never caused a problem , as i found if you tie off the loops on the cover/ pole to my handle bars it keeps everything completly off my face theres a picture of it tied off in the bam thread from scotts june bivi , easier for you to see what i mean than explain it
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

ive the OR Helium, bought from Richpips on here.

I really like it because: 1 light 2 anti-midge net 3 roomy; hoop moves the cover away from your face 4 good water resistance.

I don't like: 1 bit of foot-end condensation even with a breeze when the cover is closed 2 cover is in your face when the net is closed instead. 1 I guess is just a feature of water resistant bags, nothing an early morning airing doesnt sort out. 2 Ive added two loops to hold the cover out of the way, similar to how tent doors are clipped out of the way when open

edit: Ive a lightweight tarp-tent with a midge net inner too but use the hooped bag when lightness and pack up quickness is a factor
Last edited by jamiep on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Borah Gear bivy bags have a pull-out loop that you can clip to the underside of any tarp. I use some shock cord to give a bit of leeway so that accidental movements don't bring the tarp down :roll: The pull-out lifts the bug mesh away from your face by a reasonable amount - if you lift too much then the bag pulls in at the sides.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I must admit I've not had much luck with the whole cord attached to tarp thing, I think probably because I move around a ton in the night. This was largely the reason I was looking into a hoop instead.

@Scattamah - Get on with it then. :P
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Got a spare couple of hundred quid for the DCF? :)

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Alas, not this month... gotta pay my taxes. :(
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

One of the three guarantees in life...death, taxes and wet feet bikepacking in Wales.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I often think that when people think they'd like a hooped bivvy ... what they actually want is a Lunar Solo.

The lunar is lighter than most hooped bags, very quick to pitch, provides waaaay more space and packs just as small.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'm after something with a lower pitch height than the Solplex, isn't fluro blue and can be put down in the space of a bivvy bag with short guys to keep it stable.
Stealth 'n all ya know.

Greetz

S.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Nordisk Lofoton 1 ULW Tent ? A bit spendy but only 580g

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Nordisk-L ... gI34_D_BwE
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've got the TN Jupiter, few years old though & i don't think it's a 'lite' version.

It was actually one of my first purchases when i started bikepacking, but for one reason or another i've only used it in anger a few times. Know some say hooped bivi's are compromised, but i actually quite like it.

The 'door' has 2 layers, an inner no-see-um mesh inner & a waterproof outer, which can be closed independently. Used it with the mesh closed, then when the rain decides to make an appearance, zip-up the waterproof outer. When the rain stops, un-zip the outer. Also decent amount of room inside, plenty space for a mat & some gear down the bottom.
Not light with the poles, etc though, will try to dig it out tonight & get a real world weight..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I often think that when people think they'd like a hooped bivvy ... what they actually want is a Lunar Solo.
Not me, I have a similarly designed tarp-tent. The hooped bivi is that uber-niche shelter between tarp-tent and bivi bag. Plus, the replacement of the now retired lunar solo still hasn't materialized
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

jamiep wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I often think that when people think they'd like a hooped bivvy ... what they actually want is a Lunar Solo.
Not me, I have a similarly designed tarp-tent. The hooped bivi is that uber-niche shelter between tarp-tent and bivi bag. Plus, the replacement of the now retired lunar solo still hasn't materialized
It has! Turned up a week or so ago. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collecti ... lunar-solo
Mike

Post by Mike »

Not a massive fan of bivvy bags or stealth. Just take the lunar it's ace! Oh and most of the time u will only get caught in the morn when it gets light. If they say u can't camp there well it doesn't matter coz you will be going soon. Happened to me n hux in France. The guy went made at us, but really what was he going to do. I'm sure he got over it and got on with his life :roll:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

He's probably still seething about it. You've ruined his life now... I hope you're happy. :lol:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

My Jupiter inc pole (but no pegs) on the scales of truth= 750grams

For comparrison i also weighed my XLHunka, which was a touch under 500grams..

:ugeek:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Mart

Post by Mart »

jamiep wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: the replacement of the now retired lunar solo still hasn't materialized
Its coming to UK at the end of the month according to an email I had from ultralightoutdoorgear
Last edited by Mart on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not a massive fan of bivvy bags or stealth.
You do stealth very well. I just think you're so used to it that you simply consider it normal and don't give it much thought.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I had a mountain hardwear ethereal, I slept in it 1 night before deciding i'd wait till I was dead to sleep in a coffin. Sold it and got an SMD wild oasis which is lighter, has loads of room and is the colour of an Elven cloak making it suitable for stealth camping even at the black gates of Mordor.

Sorry not much help but I'd try and borrow one to sleep in and see if it's for you before buying.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn't weigh a ton you say - how about a 250g hooped bivvy?

https://ultimatedirection.com/fk-bivy/

It doesn't actually appear to be waterproof but it's likely to be sunny where you going :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I like that. Definitely fits my "use with a tarp" option.

Edit - Though I might have to get a friend to ship it over for me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think they're available in the EU Richard.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hmm... just reading some reviews and apparently it's a very tight fit with a decent thickness mat (like an neoair)