Lezyne Mega XL GPS - A Modern GPS For Bikepackers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Re: Lezyne Mega XL GPS - A Modern GPS For Bikepackers?

Post by Adventurer »

For bikepacking I just use my iPhone 7 with a quadlock mount. Keep it charged with a sinewave cycles USB converter and son dynamo.

As most cyclists that use a dedicated GPS devise will also carry their phone, would it not be lighter and convienent to just carry a phone with a clear colour screen with an app such as view ranger.

I can also check my rain map, weather chart, Spotify for a bit of music and podcasts if I feel the need, all on my bars. Check google for close cafe stops etc.

I might be in my own but I can’t see the benefit that a dedicated GPS has over my phone.

I also got rid of my Tom tom Gipson my car and just use my phone now. So much better.

If we really use the TLS concept then why take 2 GPSdevices ?

Thoughts?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Adventurer wrote:
If we really use the TLS concept then why take 2 GPSdevices ?

Thoughts?
Because when bikepacking my phone is my phone. It'll be carried somewhere dry, safe and charged.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, I don't risk my phone. That's my lifeline if the sh*t hits the fan.

You crash hard with the phone on your bars in the ass end of no-where? Bad times.

(I'd definitely need a dynamo that way too... and I don't have one)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I can’t see the benefit that a dedicated GPS has over my phone
its waterproof so works in the rain, it runs for about 22 hours on batteries and i can replace them easily and they are cheaper than a good phone so less annoying if you break it
A phone , with the screen on all the time, is going to be a power hungry device requiring a dynamo for multi day/week long trips.

My phone is my backup plan- yes i have paper maps as well if needed.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richard G wrote:I've never really seen routes (with turns) done off road. I wasn't even aware it was possible.

Do you use a particular site to output those?
Basecamp makes them.

When I navigate by route, I get indications at turn-offs, but not at every waypoint (for some aren't in a proper turn). Not sure what the formula behind this is. I only know it''s based on the installed map too as it calculates the route and sticks it to the paths/tracks/roads if available on the map. If the route goes by blanks on the map, routing doesn't work.