DIY packraft

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Re: DIY packraft

Post by psling »

Taylor wrote:So close to pressing that button. Might do it later.
Taylor on the Severn on his maiden voyage:

We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have this paddle: https://www.advancedelementskayaks.co.u ... yak-paddle
Seem the best compromise between weight and price (half the weight of the Lomo one according to the specs). It's taken a bit of abuse too - not really whitewater, but me bumbling along shallow rivers punting off rocks.
slarge

Post by slarge »

How many airpockets does the iron-raft boat have? Whilst I would only ever be a bimbler in the water a couple of air pockets would make me feel safe(ish). Bearing in mind my ironing skills seem to add more creases to a shirt I would need some confidence that my packraft was not going to let me (and it) down.....

If it is a single pocket design, do you think it would be possible to make it a 2 pocket raft?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Having watched the construction tutorials, I doubt you can make it into two pockets.
Would you not be wearing a pfd?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

will tube sealant work in the case of leaks

i cannot decide if i am being silly or making a serious point with this comment.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Taylor wrote:Having watched the construction tutorials, I doubt you can make it into two pockets.
Put the zip in the rear and use dry bags as buoyancy back up in the two main tubes - pack as many in as you feel happy with? Pack kit in there too?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I read that as pdf ... which left me quite baffled for a moment.

The 'air tight' zip scares me a little ... knowing just how crap 'water tight' zips can be at keeping out water.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

There's no zip in the Iron raft.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

No reason why you couldn’t add a zip at a later date, I think.

It appears relatively straightforward to add things like zips, top-up valves, etc post-completion. I’m going for as simple as possible to start with.

I know it’s perfectly possible to rip these things but I’m planning on boat-bimbling in safe waters to start with. And I’ll be carrying a whole sheaf of pdfs :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I read that as pdf ... which left me quite baffled for a moment.

The 'air tight' zip scares me a little ... knowing just how crap 'water tight' zips can be at keeping out water.
We have a cargo zip on our's and have treated it like sub standard. It took some amount of mould to start leaking air a bit. Nothing that would keep you from being in the water for 2 h but would need more air after 4-5 h.
With some seam grip all is good again.
I can recommend it.
Also makes the boat safer as you can have 2 air chambers inside the tubes.
Charliecres wrote:appears relatively straightforward to add things like zips, top-up valves, etc post-completion. I’m going for as simple as possible to start with.
It is. Strictly stick with the ifu's of the used glues and you'll be fine retrofitting.