Short travel full sus

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Short travel full sus

Post by jay91 »

I've got a full sus itch to scratch never owned one :roll:
Anyone use a short travel full sus for normal riding/bikepacking ?
Trying to ride bikes.
RIP

Re: Short travel full sus

Post by RIP »

Depends what you call short :wink:. Used my 150 last weekend in the Peaks, as substitute for my hors-de-combat "P7" (which is, ahem, a much shorter travel 140 hardtail :grin:). Only on "climb" setting all the time but it actually tracked over the limestoney pebbles very well, with the rear giving good grip; and all the other STW-style burblings that people go on about. Awaits derision from the assembled throng... :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Hey rip
Looking at 140mm canyon
I've had a ride on my mates spesh enduro is was ace :wink:
Trying to ride bikes.
PJG

Post by PJG »

jay91 wrote: Anyone use a short travel full sus for normal riding/bikepacking ?
I've used a Giant Anthem 29er for general riding, and for several bikepacking trips (Lakes 200, Cairngorms loop, HT550), and I really rate it.

Heavier than an equivalent hardtail (of course), and more to go wrong / maintain which is why my current main bikepacking bike is a Lauf-equipped hardtail.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Certainly pricier to maintain and potentially more to go wrong. Worth having in the armoury for certain outings though I reckon. Canyon good value of course, or mine was when bought 4 years ago - 'Nerve AL+ 9.0 SL' (ridiculous amount of type letters/numbers/signs in the name there, so I figured it had to be good ahem). Dunno if still known for 'undersizing' so be careful with that aspect.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jay91

Post by jay91 »

PJG wrote:
jay91 wrote: Anyone use a short travel full sus for normal riding/bikepacking ?
I've used a Giant Anthem 29er for general riding, and for several bikepacking trips (Lakes 200, Cairngorms loop, HT550), and I really rate it.

Heavier than an equivalent hardtail (of course), and more to go wrong / maintain which is why my current main bikepacking bike is a Lauf-equipped hardtail.
:-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

RIP wrote:Certainly pricier to maintain and potentially more to go wrong. Worth having in the armoury for certain outings though I reckon. Canyon good value of course, or mine was when bought 4 years ago - 'Nerve AL+ 9.0 SL' (ridiculous amount of type letters/numbers/signs in the name there, so I figured it had to be good ahem). Dunno if still known for 'undersizing' so be careful with that aspect.
Yeah there still a brilliant spec for the price etc
Will have to do more research
Trying to ride bikes.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I recently bought a Transition Smuggler (110 rear / 130 front). Not used it for bikepacking yet but can’t see why it wouldn’t be great for a certain type of trip. It pedals well, it’s comfy and it goes downhill like a fast thing.
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

Haven't used but I like the look of some of the x country stuff. Think Scott Sparks and the new Canyon Lux stuff. Both Short travel and lightweight.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I use my transition bandit 29r for everything. It’s bikepacked, long rides, short rides, raced DH, raced XC, raced enduro.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have bike packed on a Saracen Ariel, which back in the day used to be considered long travel.

Horses for causes to be honest, great for being in the mountains and letting the bike do more of the work. Was a bit too much for gravel stuff, hence going rigid now.

Tempted by the new Stumpjumper, just because it looks ace!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Having followed Reg,s super bling machine ( it looks like Mr T on wheels) on this occasion it really was the right tool for the job, I am talking about the bike :wink:
Although there seems to be a general attitude that anything apart from fully rigid is wrong for bikepacking I think there is very definitely a place for a little bounce.
This trip was my first outing on my Fargo fitted with a suspension fork, a Fox 32 Terralogic. The extra weight earned it’s keep, it’s over 15 years since I used a fork and the witchcraft like adaptive damping was a revelation. I was more in control on the rough decents, had more fun and importantly for me my hands were not numb after 2 days of riding.
I can see that on a very long, remote trip like the divide you might not want to risk a fork related mechanical but I ride in the UK. Since that ride I’ve tweaked the fork with slightly higher pressure and I’m even more convinced of it’s worth.
I don’t think I’ll be going full sus any time soon but if I came into a large chunk of cash.......
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I'm looking at either a it or xc type fs for the trails I have locally plus a bit of bike packing.

Sure you have suspension units and bearings but on a well maintained modern mtb there's nowt to worry about.

I cover approx 3000 hard miles a year and only give it a full tic make over once a year.

A big part of me wants a Sonder Ti Signal..... Never easy to pick the next bike.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I bought IanPV's Salsa Spearfish frame off him. 100mm fork, 80mm shock. Rides very differently to the Solaris which is now in fully rigid mode.

Whatever bike, I'd want to be able to lock out the suspension for any road sections - pedal bob is just so frustrating and wearing. You aren't going to make the bike fully rigid but it will be a lot better.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

As I prefer rough tracks, most of my bikepacking is done on either my short or long travel susser.

Short travel is a custom Kona HeiHei DL. Super bike, efficient, comfy, snappy and much, much fun.
120 mm front, 100 mm rear. If you keep your eyes open you can get one quite cheap.

Can't recommend Canyon. Quite a few friends had them and after sooner or later ran in to trouble. Apparently their customer service is better now...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Yes. Salsa spearfish 100mm fox fork 80mm rear travel.

Originally bought to race the ht550. Noticeably faster than a hardtail, especially for multiday racing.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

So far at least I’ve done all my bike packing on an 2015 anthem 27.5 that I got for trips to the chase. Mine is 31lb with very lardy stock wheels and deore level kit so not light but not super heavy.
It climbs well with little pedal bob as long as you climb seated - it does bob a bit when you get out of the saddle (especially with a seat pack) Weighing it down with a big bar bag doesn’t do wonders for its handling but as long as you pack small and light it’s fine.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Perfect bike for a lot of races/ITT I think - I did the HT550 on the spearfish, braunton 150, LL200 etc.

Save a lot of fatigue and energy I think, but luggage space is tight (small frame bag, seat pack can be a problem) so I quite often carry a rucksack on the sus bike. If it's a real mtb route/something with a lot of HAB I think the trade off is worth it (I prefer a rucksack if there is a lot of pushing or carrying). If it's less technical/really remote then I'd go hardtail.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ianpv wrote:Perfect bike for a lot of races/ITT I think - I did the HT550 on the spearfish, braunton 150, LL200 etc.

Save a lot of fatigue and energy I think, but luggage space is tight (small frame bag, seat pack can be a problem) so I quite often carry a rucksack on the sus bike. If it's a real mtb route/something with a lot of HAB I think the trade off is worth it (I prefer a rucksack if there is a lot of pushing or carrying). If it's less technical/really remote then I'd go hardtail.
Also on a Spearfish and totally agree with all of that. Only occasionally ride a rigid, with plus tyres, and even that is much less comfortable on multiple days over bumpy stuff.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

On my third Spearfish now.... short travel bike makes a lot of sense for some of the areas we have in the UK.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

ianfitz wrote:Yes. Salsa spearfish 100mm fox fork 80mm rear travel.

Originally bought to race the ht550. Noticeably faster than a hardtail, especially for multiday racing.
Always like the spearfish it's a shame about UK prices of salsa
Trying to ride bikes.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

More of a shame that the Spearfish is no longer in production.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

What's up with the Spearfish?

It's just another short travel bike. Stupidly steep head angle and very little room for a frame bag, so little suspension it's almost obsolete. Oh, it won a race, well great, they gave the bike to the right rider.

There are quite a few bikes out there that are just as efficient and comfy, but are lighter (frame), better balanced (rigidity/compliance), cheaper and have more room for a frame bag (easier accessible/packable).

Are you folks all falling for the marketing (being probably the only bike to be advertised as bikepacking bike)?
flyingmonkeycorps

Post by flyingmonkeycorps »

My bikepacking bike is also my mountain bike (currently a Cotic Rocket). But then my trips tend to be mountain bike rides with a snooze in the middle. I do have a more gravelly bike that I could use for easier trips, but to be honest if I'm going to drive somewhere for a ride I want proper offroad!

There are definitely disadvantages (can't really carry much on the seat 'cos I use a dropper and there's bugger all suspension clearance, and there's not a huge amount of space in the frame so I generally need a backpack) but the advantages when you point it down a big rocky hill more than outweigh it for me.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Won more than one race Gian - I've won races on mine :) Pretty sure both Kurt and Neil have won more than just the AZT and HT550 on theirs too.

It pedals very well, simple as that. Size large can get quite a bit of kit in the frame. Not all about how much travel - note the title "short travel" which is what it is.