Bike Jobs for a Chilled Sunday

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Bike Jobs for a Chilled Sunday

Post by whitestone »

Yesterday I picked up a new front wheel built up by Stuart Rider with an SP dynamo hub and Stans Blunt 35mm rim. About ten days ago I got a Vittoria Mezcal 29er tyre in 2.6 width. Time to play matchmaker :grin:

A tight wrap of Gorilla Tape, and one tubeless valve then it was a case of wrestling the tyre onto the rim. Stans rims seem to have a very shallow profile so there's not much give but the tyre was eventually persuaded. One inflation of the Airshot and ... it seated :-bd Another charge to make sure it popped on everywhere then add the last of the Stans fluid and reinflate. I'd accidentally ordered a centrelock disk mount version so I'll need to get an adaptor and a rotor and it will be good to roll.

On last weekend's ride I'd noticed that I couldn't get in to the top couple of gears. It turned out that using the handlebar harness had bent the cable outer at the barrel adjuster on the shifter and the reinforcing wires in the outer were pushing out of the material :???: New gear cable and a new longer section of outer for that bit. And gears all nicely indexed :wink:

During the week I'd fitted the OV Crazy Bars to the Solaris and taped them up but on one side I'd not left enough tape to engage with the bar plug so untape,adjust and retape.

Nothing major, just things that needed doing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Re: Bike Jobs for a Chilled Sunday

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looks like a nice front tyre, I wonder if it would fit in my fox 32?

My Sunday bike jobs were pulling the crank and cleaning then re- greasing the bearings, followed by the same for my crank brothers pedals, Wales here I come :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

New 9sp cassette, chain, 2x chainrings and jockey wheels for the Ogre.All's quiet again now!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Full frame clean and degrease, 1st ever fork seal/oil change, new headset bearings, check bottom bracket bearings, change 2x chainring for 1x, put on new 11 speed cassette, mech and shifter. Been a quite enjoyable day outside with football in the background and the kids mucking about in the garden.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Which Gorilla tape is recommended? I have the Gorilla grey duct tape but I have heard that the Gorilla clear tape is the one to get.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use the black cloth gorilla tape. Very tough but flexible so easy to get it fully into the well / bead. I find the clear stuff a bit rigid, stupidly sticky and breaks down after time. The 'handy pack' is just the right width for most normal sized rims.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks.
I'll give it a try with the stuff I have then.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Any one have a job they hate?

For me, and it is an easy job really, but i hate placing a saddle in seat post clamp!! Always manage to totally undo one or both bolts, always drop one on floor, often more than once, and can produce whole sentences using nothing but swear works and grunts!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I don't particularly hate applying saddle to post, but I will invariably bugger up the fore/aft positioning and tilt. Usually takes me a few goes to get it right when switching saddles.

Greetz

S.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Pretty much anything mechanical I do will involve at least one vital piece rolling around the garage floor followed by a long hunt for it.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I've fitted one of them new fangled dropper post on the ss took me bloody ages to get saddle back.in right place :roll:
Trying to ride bikes.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I've a few hours to spare tomorrow morning, may attempt a tubeless conversation if I can lay me hands on the required parts locally, hoping it goes easily!