BB200 entry

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mbnut

Re: BB200 entry

Post by Mbnut »

I'm in... think there were only 9 entries left so I was unlucky!

Did I enter a certain distance? No idea.

No idea about badges either, all I know is I'm going to hate large chunks of it but I'll sign up for whatever hairbrain, sadistic event Stu dreams up next.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did I enter a certain distance? No idea.
200 Nige ... you'll be glad to know. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
TraversBikes

Post by TraversBikes »

I am in and some unfinished business from 2014
Travers Bikes.com
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Got myself an entry for BB200 having not done a bikepacker yet its gonna be fun and very slightly out of the comfort zone i'd be interested on your advice and tips for a first timer :lol:
Could someone explain what badge means what :wink: just so I know .
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could someone explain what badge means what :wink: just so I know .
Green: Finish
Blue: Sub 28hr finish
Black: Sub 24hr finish

There's people with far better advice than me but minimising all stopping time, will make a massive difference.
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
There's people with far better advice than me but minimising all stopping time, will make a massive difference.
As stu says. Keeping stopping time to an absolute minimum is key. Keep moving as much as you can. Every pedal stroke, step, gate, ford and hike a bike gets you nearer to the end.

Si
Ian

Post by Ian »

Take less stuff, eat little and often, stay hydrated and don’t go off too quick...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pacing: if you can chat then that's about the pace to go at. Don't worry if people pass you, you might be having a slow patch or they might just be faster than you.

Minimise stopped time. Doesn't mean no stopping but try and do things in parallel, so if you are at a cafe and it's going to take five minutes for your tea and cake to arrive, use those five minutes to get your bike restocked, check the next section of route so you know where the turnings are, that sort of thing. I think it was Ian who posted about having two average speeds on your GPS: moving average and overall average (this includes stopped time). Try to keep them as close as possible. I also have moving time and stopped time displayed.

Kit. What you take over and above the mandatory kit will depend on the weather but keep it to the minimum, it's a challenge not a tour. Know your own weaknesses so you can save weight and bulk elsewhere and properly deal with them.

You'll wander round the start looking at other bikes wondering how they get away with so little kit. Don't worry about it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Do not take cooking kit or enough sleeping kit to be comfortable; when you're cold, tired and miserable at 2am make sure stopping is no more pleasant than continuing. It's not the WRT :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Leerowe76 wrote:i'd be interested on your advice and tips for a first timer :lol:.
Plenty of lube
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:....I think it was Ian who posted about having two average speeds on your GPS: moving average and overall average.

Kit. What you take over and above the mandatory kit will depend on the weather but keep it to the minimum, it's a challenge not a tour. Know your own weaknesses so you can save weight and bulk elsewhere and properly deal with them.

You'll wander round the start looking at other bikes wondering how they get away with so little kit. Don't worry about it.
Good to know not just me that has multiple average speeds.

on kit, last time i entered BB200 i started to appreciate there's a difference between carrying "camping gear" because one intends to stop, and carrying camping gear because the rules dictate so.

my thoughts, carry food that can be eaten on the move, and is a bit of "pick me up"
at a 2am, when you're cursing the course creator for yet another hike a bike a bit of luxury food is a bit of a pick me up
i have a packet of hob nobs in a fuel pouch next to seat post. easy to grab, and no faffing with wrappers.

shoes that are comfortable in which to walk.

a sense of humour.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I would take "camping gear" that enables you to survive rather than have eight hours blissful kip in the land of Nod. In reality it's not so much about "sleeping" as "recharging" and just a couple of hours can be enough to let you carry on. Unless there's been a cold spell, the ground's still got some of its summer warmth in October so you can use summer bivy kit.

On last year's YD300 I wasn't sure, correctly as it happened, that I could ride through but kipped down at Ribblehead for about two hours getting maybe 90mins sleep. This was enough to let me carry on at a decent pace. I took 18 1/2hrs to Ribblehead and 8 1/2 to the finish. If you read Philip Addyman's account of him riding this year's edition he took 12 1/2hrs to Ribblehead and 10 1/2 to the finish. I'm nowhere near as fast as Philip but that rest let me more than match his pace.

Edit: Here's my write up from 2 years ago - http://bobwightman.blogspot.com/search/ ... ones%20200
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Practice pushing your bike up hills through terrain that looks like it doesn't have a track to follow.

I'm not joking.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Dave Barter wrote:
Leerowe76 wrote:i'd be interested on your advice and tips for a first timer :lol:.
Plenty of lube
Changed my mind about the lift...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:Practice pushing your bike up hills through terrain that looks like it doesn't have a track to follow.

I'm not joking.
Joking?

That's often the case.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Thanks for all the advice, lots of lube and pushing :lol: :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Thanks Stu.... I am pleased to hear that!

Off to read the rules now.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Dave Barter wrote:
Plenty of lube
And a relaxed demeanour. :YMDEVIL:
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

What works best for crossing fords that are too wide/deep/rocky to cycle across?
In my one BB200 a large crossing changed my mental strength and led to retirement. I crossed with my cycling Shimano boots on over sealskinz socks but it was too deep and I got fully wet feet.

Do you just get wet feet and live with it?
Do you cross with bare feet?
Or what?

Dave
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Wet feet and live with it. I got proper scared when I slipped off the log crossing (I think) last year.

Don't do well with water after nearly drowning when I was a kid.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Take your time. Walk up/ down the bank and find a bit where you are most comfortable to cross. Look for routes over stepping stones if you can. Wheel your bike through whilst hoping from stone to stone, or just wade through, with the bike up stream of you. The shoes/ socks thing depends on stream bed surface and/ or water temperature. If very cold, I would take my shoes and socks off, wade through, dry feet and put them back on.

I remember one crossing on the BB200 from a couple of years ago that took me by surprise. Sometimes taking a minute to recompose yourself, maybe eat something, let’s you evaluate the situation better so your mental strength doesn’t suffer for the rest of the ride. Remembering that others have been through before you, and others will likely follow helps too.
Matt

Post by Matt »

or.......

Go as fast as you can and bunnyhop the 'muver :-bd
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

Thanks.

I think the pause, eat and think would have been a good option. The ford was I guess, 20m wide and I wasn't very eager to risk my feet and ankles bare foot. But maybe there was an easier place just up or downstream.

Dave
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Insoles and socks off, boots on, cross, squeeze as much water out of boots as possible, but socks back on, boots back on, continue. Faffy but = dry warm feet.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's a good idea if you've got waterproof socks for sure.

But yeah, no way in hell I'd cross a river barefoot. F'knows what's down there.