a tale of 2 plus bikes.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

a tale of 2 plus bikes.

Post by ton »

owned a jones plus, sold it after about 8 months. i tried to like it, lusted after a jones since their 1st inception. really wanted to like it, but it just wasnt for me i guess.
it felt nice offroad, but no more so than any hardtail 29er. it carried luggage well, but no better than my disc trucker, it was sublimly comfy. but it creaked, it felt too small, it felt very long too.
a odd bike, loved by some, but not by me.

so, after getting reasonably fit, and feeling pretty good, i thought i would dip a toe into the plus bike market again. it suits me i reckon. a big lump on a big bike.
i choose a surly ecr. i got the train to manchester yesterday morning, to collect my new bike from Keep Pedalling.
when Rich brought it up, i was well chuffed with how it looked. business like and not too fancy. but god, it looked huge. once my pedals were fitted, water bottle on, i said my goodbyes and set off on the ride back to leeds.

i followed the Rochdale canal out of Manchester, stopping at Todmorden for lunch, and then continued on the canal all the way back to Wakefield, and then tracks and paths back home.
66 miles with maybe 5 miles on tarmac. pretty great to be honest. the whole of the route was nice, even in manchester and rochdale. well worth the effort

and the bike was faultless. 66 miles on a new bike, that i had never ridden.i expected soreness, and to be stopping to adjust things all the time. it was just fine. very comfy ride. ace wide bars, perfect shape for my shoulder width. and rather than being perched on top of the bike, like i was on the jones, i feel like i am sat inside and behind the high cockpit.

so far so good.

Jones 0 surly 1............. so far.

Image2018-06-24_05-22-41 by 20ston, on Flickr
Lazarus

Re: a tale of 2 plus bikes.

Post by Lazarus »

sold by Feb of next year
:wink:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

It looks remarkably pleasant and in proportion, and that's a pretty decent first ride!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Lazarus wrote:sold by Feb of next year
:wink:
And what if he does? Who gives a f***. He's trying to find a bike that works for him. It's his time and money not yours.

It's this attitude that has made me walk away from STW and several other "communities" over the past year.

i'm going to panda myself.

Just annoys me.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

What bars are on that ton , are they the molokos ,if so let us know how comfy they are
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I hope he takes the joke for what it was - I do know him in the real world so pretty sure he will
ton

Post by ton »

it is a comment i have had thrown at me many times before, so to be honest it dont bother me. i see it a jelousy.
thing is, i love bikes, i love cycling, it is what i do. i dont love money, it is only any use when being spent.

so my quest for my perfect bike will continue......or maybe it may end with this present bike.

as for the bars, they are the moloko bars.
i dont know if they are wider or a differant shape to jones bars, but they feel a lot comfier. jones bars dont work for me anymore, with my fused wrists.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote:I hope he takes the joke for what it was - I do know him in the real world so pretty sure he will
Tony has a decent sense of humour - particularly about his bike turnover. I'm just pissed off you beat me to it!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I suspect if a size L ECR had been available when I was looking to buy the Jones I would have been tempted to go with one given the price difference. People I've spoken to say its like a kramp but better :-bd (I have one of those as well :mrgreen: )
ton

Post by ton »

htrider, the size or lack of it was my main reason for selling the jones.
this is the only picture i can find of myself riding it, shortly after ankle surgery.

i think we can agree that even the 25 model which this is, was too small for me.

Image2016-10-17_01-01-59 by 20ston, on Flickr
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I thought you'd given up on the biking (a post somewhere a little while ago). Glad not as it would a) dry up a plentiful supply of kwality gear (I've got a bit of it :cool: ), b) be a shame, c) lead to reduced posting, another shame.

As for the drama-postings (by others) - do please give over :cool:
Gari

Post by Gari »

^ :roll: :grin: :-bd
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

As an advocate for cycling in all of its many guises I often get asked what bike, what spec, what this, what that...

It's pretty simple really but not always easy to nail.... if it fits and you like the colour, you stand a good chance of loving it.

Currently about 2 years into deciding what trail HT to go for... #can'tmakeupmybloodymind

Ride and be happy people.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is it for sale yet?
Solo

Post by Solo »

As an owner of 2 Surly's already I can get why they feel so right from the off. My Pugs is still the most natural bike I've ever sat on from the off.

I love the ECR look but also keep admiring the Bridge Club too which has that all rounder appeal of an early MTB in my mind.

Enjoy the new bike Sir!
ton

Post by ton »

cheers solo. hope your well mate.

re the surly. when I picked the bike up on Saturday from keep pedalling, I stood in their shop surrounded by some lovely bikes.
I stood and counted that of the 12 or so models there, I had owned 9 at one stage or another. :-bd