Advice please: First time tubeless

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

El Ce

Advice please: First time tubeless

Post by El Ce »

First time posting and brand new to the forum. Hello hello from dreich Edinburgh.
Been lurking for a few days reading up on routes around Scotland and the TNR.

Setting up my first tubeless wheel set today and have an issue I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on. First one went on fine! Knew that was too easy :shock:

I think I have a small hole in one of the tires. I'm 99% sure it's a small hole rather than the bead just not seating at that point. But I'm new at this...

Tyres are brand new WTB Byways. Think there's a tiny hole just underneath the 'W' in the logo as I try to show in this video https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b879jhrysumj ... e.mov?dl=0 on my dropbox. the sealant on the outside of the tyre is stuff I poured on to it to try and help the sealant do its job and seal up the hole.

Questions for your expert opinions:

A) should I send the tyre back for a replacement as it's defective?

A2) or could this be something I've done in error? didn't take any sharp objects near tyres apart from cutting off the zip-tie which I was super careful about and used snips rather than a knife so was in total control.

B) should the sealant just do it's job and seal up the hole? I let a bit of the pressure off so it wasn't such a fountain of latex (nothing seemed to be coming through the hole just spurting the stuff I was pouring on to it) and whirled the fluid inside around.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Luke
NorwayCalling

Re: Advice please: First time tubeless

Post by NorwayCalling »

The sealant will only work from inside-out, so pouring sealant on the outside of the tyre wont help!

You need to get the sealant you have inside the tyre, to be covering the hole (cant watch the vid as in work). Tip and shake the tyre so the sealant can get to the hole and it should seal if it is only a small hole as you say.

Google "Stans-Shake"
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB tyres are notorious for weeping sealant out, particularly the thinner ones. It shouldn't leak as bad as that so looks like a hole has gotten in there somehow. You should be able to send it back I'd have thought but if you can't be bothered, then either patch the hole from the inside or use one of the various tubeless repair strips that are available (or even a thin strip of old inner tube with a knot in it) to plug the hole if the sealant won't seal it. Also note that Orange seal or squirt is much better than stans for sealing bigger holes.

Welcome to tubeless. There are benefits, particularly in stopping thorn punctures, but it's also a PIA... :???:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote:WTB tyres are notorious for weeping sealant out, particularly the thinner ones.
My limited experience had been just the opposite, I’ve a set of WTB trail boss’ On wtb i32 carbon rims and a set in nano’s on a pair if WTB KOM’s

Both set up so easy it was like there were tubes in and held air perfectly from the off.

Pin hole or thorn sized holes should seal almost straight away. Although non-tubeless tyres can be difficult with matched rims and tyres it really should be a painless experience. A casing hole even in a non tubeless tyre is not really acceptable.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i cannot tell from that video what is going on but
1. A hole sealant wont seal in a new tyre is not acceptable
2. Try as noted above just shaking the tyre with that part facing downwards to make sure all the sealant is there to see if that seals it

Probably be sending it back after first contacting them though depending on how urgently you need to ride the bike
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Having looked at your video, if you turn the wheel and shake it the sealant should take care of a little leak. Often a tubeless setup needs a little time before it settles in. I’ve had tyres which have weeped all around the rim for a day or so before settling down. Once it’s all ok you won’t go back :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

After watching onw of the shakes videos (as mentioned regards Stans-shake above) so you have an idea of how you need to achieve the seals. Jusy shake it a little and leave on a side with the hole tipped on its side (ie. The hole being faced towards the ground) over your bucket with soapy water etc...

If it is a tubeless ready tyre then having a hole weeping in the main carcass means its not doing it job properly as thats the whole point of tubeless ready (ie. In theory you could use it with a tubeless rim etc without sealant) and the sealant is a back up in case any thorns manage to penetrate the carcass.

Hope you get it all sorted and to be fair, good job in managing to seal the tyre bead against the rim interface. Well done
El Ce

Post by El Ce »

Thanks for all your replies!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd

all super helpful

I've done the stand-shake ;) and left it on it's side for an hour or so for the sealant to pool around where the leak is. Looks like it might be working as it seems to be staying at pressure. will see in the morning.

Good point re: sealant only working for the inside. makes sense when you think about it :grin:

Set up was tubeless ready tyres and rims so tried to make life easy for myself but great to be able to ask some questions as a newbie of youse all with some experience! cheers.

I'll see how things are in the morning and if it's holding any pressure. And also get in touch with the vendor to see how things work from their end. I'm disappointed that there's a hole in it from the off so we'll see what they say. Failing that I'll get some patches or tubes and see what I can repair from there.

I'm excited to ride tubeless and with something a bit fatter (47mm with these over the 30mm previously). been exploring more off-road and gravel (on a drop bar bike) and getting out to some bothies and the odd bivvy. working out my set up and testing things. be good to run lower pressures with tubeless for a bit more grip.

thanks again! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Standard patches (I used them leeches and some others aswell probably) work but you shouldnt need it.

Now that youve sussed why thw sealant only works from the inside.... we cann tell you also. The fastwr you go out and ride the wheels, the more likely that it'll fill and seal properly any little nooks and cranniea. If you dont like riding the bike then just put wheel inside the frame and keep spinning every so often. Once the soapy water (I assume you made some) stops bubbling, you know that holes are sealed (then go and ride
El Ce

Post by El Ce »

Just thought I'd follow up on this:

went for a ride around Peebles in the borders and delighted in the new wheels/tyres.

unfortunately after another night of trying to pool the sealant around the hole there's small holes in the sidewalls of both front and rear tyres.

I've been in touch with WTB directly who have said they're sending out new tyres direct to me asap. Couldn't ask for more from them as a company so far.

thanks again for all your tips!
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

Add some glitter to each tyre it seal holes quicker and Sparkles :cool: