Pump recommendations please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Pump recommendations please

Post by benp1 »

Wotsits wrote:
benp1 wrote:So the next question is should I strip my pump down to regrease the seals? Or just ignore it and carry on as per normal?
Definitely Ben, either silicone grease like Zip says, or suspension grease :geek:
Another one for the to do list then... I have some silicon grease for watch o ring seals so that'll probably do the job, cheers!
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

been using the one up edc pump its great,can store a co2 cartridge inside the handle
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

if you are loaded then these look good http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-pocket-im ... 4304953301
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Chicken Legs wrote:
Dave Barter wrote: I'm wondering about one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lezyne-Micro-F ... r+drive+hp as the pressure relief valve stops the unscrewing problem Stu talks of
I have got that pump Dave, it does not unscrew the valve core and I will be replacing with the same when its finished.
Will shake to bits in a bag as the cap unscrews.
Comes with a bracket to fit under your bottle holder on the frame.
Nice and light for the size of it.
Same here
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve got a crank brothers klick pump. The best feature is the hose which stows in the the handle and attaches instantly with some magnetic witchcraft. It really is quite clever and pumps up tyres :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

In Reverse wrote:It's one of the character building tenets of cycling to pump up a tyre, particularly a high-volume one that's taken ages to inflate using a tiny pump, only for all the air burst free in a nano second as the valve core unscrews. Bonus points if you also lose the seal on the rim. Double combo bonus if it happens when other people are waiting for you. And it's raining.
And you're being eaten alive by midges ... x(
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Fun fact about lezyne multitools. Well, the ones with the chain splitter that has the spoke-keys on. If you unscrew that it will work as a valve core remover (or tightener) no need to leave them finger tight.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

my lezyne one of those removes the cores to the extent i carry a tool to tighten my valves- also handy when the sealant has stuck them shut as well

you can also get a push on thing - though mine is plastic and i keep forgetting which pump its on as I have two of them!

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... gJNx_D_BwE
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I've had one of the lezyne 'mini track pumps' pretty much since they came out, which must be about, ooh, 2009 or so. Had a brief period of pressure loss due to dry o ring after a few years, now I take it apart, clean and regrease once every year or two and it's perfect. Still on the original o ring too. It's old enough that the female thread that holds the head in place has worn out and has pumped up a lot of tyres as others I ride with soon realised it shifted more air than theirs (quite a few now own them too).

Assuming it can be serviced, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another lezyne.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

windjammer wrote:if you are loaded then these look good http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-pocket-im ... 4304953301
So, it's significantly heavier than the Lezyne HV, and five times the price. What's not to love about that?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've written about Lezyne pumps before but I'll repeat my experience again, they will leave you stranded. I've had the misfortune to own not one but two of their shitty pumps, both would unscrew the valve core without fail. Not just occasionally, every time. Cheap or expensive tubes, it made no difference. There's nothing more frustrating than standing by the side of the road or trail having fixed a puncture, pumped the tyre up then all the air goes whoosh when you take the pump off. Extract the valve core from the pump, screw it into the tube as tight as possible, then it happens again, and again and again.

I've got a very nice Lezyne track pump in the garage that only gets used on car tyres, even then it's a pain in the arse because you have to screw it on. I did buy one of their push on adaptors for presta valves, it comes with half a dozen replacement O rings, so even they don't expect it last too long. I've also owned one of the mini pumps which was equally adept at unscrewing cores. They are very nicely made but total poor show as a pump.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've used my Lezyne hundreds of times and have never unscrewed a core. Admittedly, I take the tube out and screw it in straight to the valve before attaching it to the pump... but even if I did it the other way (as awkward as that would be) I still can't imagine unscrewing the core.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Pirahna wrote:I've written about Lezyne pumps before but I'll repeat my experience again, they will leave you stranded. I've had the misfortune to own not one but two of their shitty pumps, both would unscrew the valve core without fail. Not just occasionally, every time. Cheap or expensive tubes, it made no difference. There's nothing more frustrating than standing by the side of the road or trail having fixed a puncture, pumped the tyre up then all the air goes whoosh when you take the pump off. Extract the valve core from the pump, screw it into the tube as tight as possible, then it happens again, and again and again.

I've got a very nice Lezyne track pump in the garage that only gets used on car tyres, even then it's a pain in the arse because you have to screw it on. I did buy one of their push on adaptors for presta valves, it comes with half a dozen replacement O rings, so even they don't expect it last too long. I've also owned one of the mini pumps which was equally adept at unscrewing cores. They are very nicely made but total poor show as a pump.
Its always interesting to read people experiences that are different. We've got a couple of Lezyne mini pumps in our house, I've use mine a lot, really a lot. Also have one of their track pumps with the speedchuck fitted. Still on its firsts O ring after 5 years. Probably ready for a replacement now though...

I think I remember one valve core unscrewing. Ever since then I've always nipped them up tight and never had an issue since. As in my post above there is a valve core tightening tool on the chain splitter.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I don't think I've had a valve with a removable core that didn't unscrew when taking a Lezyne pump off it. Bad design IMO shouldn't have to rely on the user, who may be trying this at night in the rain, etc., to have to "fix" the kit it's being used on.

I slung mine in the bin* :-bd

*If I get a downer on something, I really get a downer on it :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i am also in the amazed it has never happened to you
i have certainly had to stop a cyclist once to borrow his pump when mine did this. However i now just carry a valve tool as i could not get it hand tight enough to prevent it unscrewing it.

No issues with the speed chuck which i must have used hundreds of time by now
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I did have the valve core unscrewing issue in the early days (and after one particularly frustrating moment it did nearly get thrown in a hedge) but started doing them up as tight as I could by hand, which seems to have pretty much solved the problem.

I've broken a valve core or two over the years with flip lock head pumps when I've been tired/in a hurry so there's always a risk of something going wrong.

If the pump had kept unscrewing cores it would have been relegated to the bin long ago
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm wondering if my Lezyne is particularly special now. :lol:

I'll have to bring it to the next event and see if others manage to screw up their valve cores with it!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

BigdummySteve wrote:Found a review of the CB pump,
http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/crankbr ... mp-review/
That's an interesting review; my experience with CB stuff has been quite different - always innovative, but never last long! Might give it a go when my Lezyne dies; or just retire it now - owes me nothing after years of use and only a very few valve core removals!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Whose with me to create a kickstarter for a tubeless valve with a reversed thread?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
chris n

Post by chris n »

So it unscrews as you fasten the hose? :lol:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ive never de-cored using my Leyzne either. Finger tight screw on the hose then attach the pump. I have seen valves pulled when the hose was attached to the pump and then screwed onto the valve - with the pump rattling around on the end of the hose it is easier to yank the value / screw it on squint
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

chris n wrote:So it unscrews as you fasten the hose? :lol:
The theory is that there is more tension on the unscrew as you have added pressure between the pump and valve on pumping. Also heat has expanded the valve head.

But you're right, bloody silly idea. I'm out
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote:
chris n wrote:So it unscrews as you fasten the hose? :lol:
The theory is that there is more tension on the unscrew as you have added pressure between the pump and valve on pumping. Also heat has expanded the valve head.

But you're right, bloody silly idea. I'm out
But at least when you attach the pump you haven't yet pumped the tyre back up... As it will make all existing valves and pumps redundant and not be compatible with any existing ones and require us to all buy new for the new 'standard' I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting the manufacturers on-board :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Please can you stop talking about valve cores being removed when unscrewing the hose

My Lezyne Alloy Drive has never done this and I really like my little pump. Please don't give it any ideas...