What's the bikepacking connoisseurs rim of choice?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

What's the bikepacking connoisseurs rim of choice?

Post by Ian »

I'm looking to swap out the heavy Dually rims on Beth's bike, as they're a bit heavy when paired with the Rohloff.

I've got 35mm carbon rims on the Bahookie and Stooshie, but looking for something a little narrower and slightly less spendy...

Any recommendations?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What's the bikepacking connoisseurs rim of choice?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm quite like WTB rims. The i19 will take a 2.3 nicely and not spendy either.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/RIWTBST/wtb-st-tcs--rim
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Some I know and can recommend, all at 29 - 30 mm width internally:
Newest gen Flow.
Easton Arc 30, now Raceface I think.
WTB KOM i29.

Most impressed of the Arcs by longetivity and stiffness.

WTB KOM a bit too soft for my taste. You know me, ride like berserk and mostly around 85 kg.

Laura rides WTB KOM on her rigid bike and likes them much. She's probably of similar weight as Beth is. I think the KOMs are also a bit lighter then Arcs and Flow mk3. Probably the best option for Beth I guess.
Flow seem to be the best at preventing flats (pinch).

Lightbicycle makes some nice 420 g rims at internal 30 mm. With 28 spokes you get a good balance between rigidity, compliance and weight at about twice the price for the alloy counterparts.

All rims go tubeless really well with var. Schwalbe, Continental and Maxxis tyres. Make sure to use 30 mm tape for long term seal rather than 25 mm or so.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Easton Arc’s for me, might have a couple of unused for sale if you’re interested Ian..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks chaps. At least two suggestions there that I’d not have noticed had I not asked.

A quick search reveals JRA have WTB KOM i23 reduced at the moment. I presume if an i19 will take a 2.3”, then the i23 will be more than adequate?

(The planets ones seem a different heavier version, though cheapness abounds)
Wotsits wrote:Easton Arc’s for me, might have a couple of unused for sale if you’re interested Ian..
What the weight of these, and how much are you after, Jase?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Pretty happy with the DT Swiss X392 that was built up for me...although that may be too narrow. XR391 might fit the bill as it's a little wider, but it's a touch on the spendy side. Both come in @ 440g.

Greetz

S.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Not Hugo 52s warranty on my rear again after the HT550 cracks on eyelets again!!!!
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Wotsits do you have a 29er arc 45 out of interest
Ta
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

postierich wrote:Not Hugo 52s warranty on my rear again after the HT550 cracks on eyelets again!!!!
I think Hux has had similar cracking on the rear on an Arch rim, which is a bit of a worry as I've just built some new wheels with Arch rims.

Rich, are yours factory wheels or hand built?

For ballance, my 650b Arch ex rims have done over 6000 miles including 2400 miles on the loaded bike including the HT550 and I've never even had to true them.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've seen a few stories about Arch rims cracking. My older Arch EX seem to be fine but it's possible that chasing lighter weight is having an effect on newer models.

My bikepacking is mainly on plus rims these days but I have WTB KOM i25 rims on my hardtail and would happily use them again.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Ian wrote:What the weight of these, and how much are you after, Jase?
The Arc27 is coming out at 512grams on my scales Ian.
firestarter wrote:Wotsits do you have a 29er arc 45 out of interest
Ta
Unfortunately not firestarter..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ian... is it 26 inch rims you are after. If so I am trying to have a nice clearout and have a couple rims that may be interest to you (just pay postage if you can please aftwr they have got to you and i will send via 2nd class snail/cheap mail.

The one that was always one of my prized possessions but I ended up never needing to build into is the dtswiss 445D...

I think I could swear by DT rims that they wont let you down and had previiously run some lightweight dt swiss ones that came of a specialized (around 400 or 420g as they were off an swroks and built by DT for Spesh) and I ran them for many many filthy miles (I would say over 5k or at least 3k) until the rear pawls were on the verge of giving in. When I dismantled it (removed the tubeless tires actually and removed the tubeless tape, it was all corroded underneath but never once lost true (built by self)...

Sorry for the mouthfull. Let me kniw if its 26 inch rims and I can see what I have for you...
Ian

Post by Ian »

I was after a 29" rim. I've since ordered the WTB KOM i23 from JRA, while they were on sale. Thanks for everyone's very helpful input :-bd

With Phase 1 complete, I can advance to Phase 2 - learning how to build wheels. Besides building a pair up for Beth, I have a couple of other wheel building projects on the cards, so may as well get the tools and learn a new skill.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Get the Roger Musson wheelbuilding electronic book Ian. Tells you all you need to know. It's very therapeutic building your own wheels but it takes a while to do your first one.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A 2nd recommendation for the Musson book. I also made my truing stand and nipple driver from the plans in the book. I had the timber already so it didn't cost me anything more than a Spokey to build my first wheels.

The first 2 I built are on the wife's bike, best she tested my skills first :lol: Wheels 3 and 6 I built have just fished the HT550 and are still true, it's just a matter of following the instructions. If anyone is wondering why it's wheels 3 and 6.... wheel 4 was a plain front wheel, wheel 5 was the dyno front wheel but it was re-built after a hub bearing failure :roll:
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi,
I used to always use mavic rims, however most of my bikes are now DT Swiss as they just seem to be indestructable. I have EX471's on my fun bike and if Gwin can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrEvtLpXoY then I am fairly confident I won't break them.
I have XM521's on my longitude and these seem fine.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the book recommendation. Just downloaded it. I have built one pair of wheels already using various online guides, but it was a few years ago. I used an upside down bike and a pair of allen keys zip-tied to the fork legs or chainstays.

The drawing for making your own jig looks good though. Making my own doesn't look all that difficult, and I have all the materials I need already I think. And with proper ones being really expensive...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I used the Sheldon Brown guide to build wheels. So far I've done 2 or 3 rear wheels, and a couple of front wheels. I built up a dynamo wheel then took it on the HT550 and didn't die, so clearly it was an alright build.

I started on the upside down frame and some cable ties, but the Park jig is pretty nice and compact enough to build in front of the TV.
redefined_cycles

As I'm sat here tweakig the last few bits on my Dura ace wheel which has alu nipples and bladed shimano (pain in the backside) spokes with non standard alu nipple size. I couldnt help but think to myself... maybe you asked the wring question and it should be more...

Whats the BP connoisseurs spokes and nipples of choice. From exp of the last few years of havig wheels come in and also servicing my own builds, Id say:

DT competition spokes (not bladed unless you want a painfully awckward wheelbuild) with brass nipples. If you can find some standard Sapim spokes they are also super tough (I once had some Richey spokes come in and I know it sounds daft - spokes a spoke right - and I remember them fondly (probably still have some hoarded away and you cannot buy them off the shelves nowadays I thinks...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I only use DT Swiss Competition with brass nipples, they just work.

I refuse to true friends wheels if they have ali nipples, bladed spokes or are straight pull. This has 2 benefits, I don't have to faff with any of these options and as it's my roadie mates whose wheels seem to go out of true most often they usually have one of these so not a job for me :grin:
redefined_cycles

Haha... yup. Raodie wheels are crap wheels. Especially the top end ones that come with that nasty stuff called carbon!!. I had some 2k FSA wheels (bought used and hand built). Tubulars they were. They were handmade in Italy and had a disclaimer on the side stating that you might need to retrue them after a while due to their fragile nature (something like that). Now recently I acquired some Edco swiss carbin wheels. Agains, used and on the cheap. The rear wheel came with a slight buckle but its internal spokes. Recently I went over some cattle grids and ended up with a priperly buckled wheel.

Hemce now I am having to rebuild the dura ace rim (which ended up broken a half year ago after too much use so swapping out rims)... lol. Can't wait to have my mtb bike back
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Some of them also have odd spoke patterns, I was asked to true a front that had probably only 24 spokes? radial laced and the spokes were in pairs with 2 close to each other then a big gap to the next pair. The worst buckle was mid way between two pairs of spokes, not much I could do with it.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

sean_iow wrote:I only use DT Swiss Competition with brass nipples, they just work.

I refuse to true friends wheels if they have ali nipples, bladed spokes or are straight pull. This has 2 benefits, I don't have to faff with any of these options and as it's my roadie mates whose wheels seem to go out of true most often they usually have one of these so not a job for me :grin:
When I skydived my instructor wouldn’t give a license to anyone who couldn’t pack a parachute, until I had quite some experience I didn’t really understand. Like building wheels it gives you an understanding, even if you only do it once you will gain an invaluable insight into your equipment. After a shop built wheel completely let go in the winter bivvy I now carry a spokey and almost know how to use it.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark