Using sram rotors with Shimano brakes.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

Using sram rotors with Shimano brakes.

Post by Justchris »

Is there any reason why I can't use sram rotors with XT brakes? The sales guy at my local bike shop sort of turned his nose up at it and made a comment. I don't see the problem, sram rotors are significantly lighter, and it seems to work well. Anyone had any problems with similar brake set ups?

Edit. problems with brake performance, not attitude from your LBS.
Pirahna

Re: Using sram rotors with Shimano brakes.

Post by Pirahna »

It's a disc rotor, use whatever you want. I run SRAM rotors with Shimano, Magura and TRP calipers.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some rotors like Ice-tech can foul on some calipers but apart from that if you've the right sized rotor for your mount then use whatever you want*.

*Not having matching coloured rotors and calipers is a definite no-go though :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

29er has xt brakes and lifeline discs, gravel bike has ultegra brakes and avid discs, no problems to report. :-bd
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Thanks guys.

C
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just be sure that the rotor and pad depths match up and any wavyness doesn't cause juddering due to pad and rotor area variation. Some work ok cross-brand but others don't. Tbh since heat dissipation is how disc brakes operate, it's not a great place to save weight : ) and a lot of aftermarket wavy rotors are just sht ime. Old Avid CleanSweeps were some of the best, simple and effective.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I once had some small (ish) centre lock (shimano) rotors foul on some avid juicy calipers. But then I seem to remember I got round the same problem at a later date by filing a small bit of the caliper or something away to ensure it didnt catch.

I doubt the avid rotors would catch on xt calipers. Especially if the rotors are on the larger scale of things. I've used many makes of rotors on various avid calipers and not really had a problem. Just make sure the bite of the break pads is catching discs fully and not half heartedly (if you know what I mean)... :-bd

Oh... one last thing. Next time you visit that bike shop... dont forget to mention how crap the brake pads he is selling are (whatever pads he has in stock :grin: )