They killed Bambi!!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

They killed Bambi!!!!

Post by TheBrownDog »

On here:

http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/foodless-odyssey-video/

I quite like the concept of surviving off the land, and I don't mind eating wild things. I have eaten all sorts of things I've shot and fished and snared and netted.

But I never did it for the sake of film, which seems to be the whole point of this endeavour. I honestly don't know what I think about this.

Reg Reg Reg ... to the forum please. Guide my moral compass, as always.
I'm just going outside ...
johnnystorm

Re: They killed Bambi!!!!

Post by johnnystorm »

Bike packing movies are commonplace now.....gotta find new stuff to do.... :wink:
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Quote: When you’re really hungry and you don’t know where your next meal is coming from, you feel desperate. I’ve never felt like that in my life

This is so far up its own arse its beyond the spectrum.

205 km in 7 days... yep just a self publicity.. a simple case of look at me, everyone, look at me having a adventure while you have a shitty life behind a desk etc etc... yes right.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bow hunting was banned in this country for good reason - it takes a great deal of skill to kill humanely with one which many will not have. I noticed the film glossed over the actual kill....

As far as I'm concerned living off the land in this country means raiding the nearest Co-op :???:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Well it was a bit odd, but looked like a fun trip I guess.

I can understand riding out to where you might want to go hunting, but not really trying to do it on the go.

And the Bambi kill seems a little suspect. 4 people just happen to ride past it on a trail, see and go back to shoot it from the trail and, what it was just hanging about awaiting? Don't think it quite works like that!

Never taken wellies camping, never mind bike packing either :lol:

Obviously not fans of TLS or LNT ...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

It's North America, no one bats an eye about hunting be it with gun or bow. Living off the land is very time consuming which could be why they covered so little ground. Personally I think they're a bunch of twats.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Who was carrying the woodburner stove and chimney at about 7:00min? And split firewood at about 3:00min? Great big pot for the mussels. I guess they don't claim to be self-supported. Clearly just for the filming.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

It's Anthill films ffs, of course it's going to be cliche after cliche, only thing that surprised me was that I didn't see any redbull*

* I didn't watch it all, tw@ overload.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ray Young wrote:It's North America, no one bats an eye about hunting be it with gun or bow. Living off the land is very time consuming which could be why they covered so little ground. Personally I think they're a bunch of twats.
Au contrary. I had a closer look into hunting when I was in Alaska 2 years ago, during hunting season off course :roll: .
Was interesting to read through the hunting regulations (this years edition has 144 pages...) and talk to about a dozen hunters. Even AK is heavily regulated and no, they don't "don't give a sub standard" about regulations. Was kind of an eye opener for me in gun country, where even Walmart has a whole departement that sells guns, rifles, shotguns etc. just between cereal and pet food.
It's very stricly regulated with what (type of weapon) you are allowed to hunt which animal. Also birds. And when and where too. Hunters, be it those for "sport" or those for "subsistence" (as they call it, which in fact is more "supplementary" in my point of view, as they try to save on buying meat from stores by hunting) have in every case made a thoughtful impression to me. On the other hand I've never heard so many follow-up shots as in AK (compared to many regions in Europe). Maybe due to the regulation that you're not allowed to use a rifle scope. This means you have to get closer to the animal, animals that can't be killed with shot (too big). Tricky... and very different from hunting in eg the Alps.
htrider wrote:I noticed the film glossed over the actual kill....
I don't think it happened and if it did, shame they didn't show it, as it's an elemental part. The food collecting comes in very short too and the very little biking gets ton's of coverage. More background on what exactly they're eating would've been nice.
As usual, only show the "nice" bits.

I like the idea - the concept and I'm kind of happy it's of very little use where I like to travel.

I once was asked, after my Iceland traverses, how I'd go by living of the land. Imagine a bloke trying to cross from Snaefell/Hàlslòn to Nyidalur living of.. what, sucking the rocks?
I sent him a photo:
and asked what exactly he was hoping to find here for food.

A friend of mine goes "hiking" and takes extremely little food, like 500 g for a week and spends most time collecting berries. This also only works during a specific season where he does it (northern Scandinavia) and he covers less than 10 km distance a day. Well, he might cover little distance but he surely gets to interact intensely with nature. I can Images he actually "sees" more than I do when out hiking up there.

anyways... they also made a FIRE!
mountainbaker wrote:* I didn't watch it all, twit overload.
Shame they appear as twits... I like to think they actually are not, but you're right about it being Anthill films.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi Tim, late to the party here. Mm... I think with everything already said above, your moral compass is probably spinning uncontrollably as if in a random magnetic field. So rather than spin it faster, I shall squirrel (red not grey) this one away until I next have the pleasure of seeing you! Meanwhile, I'm off to drown a lentil, but I'll take great care to be humane about it :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I watched it earlier all ready to be enraged and seething at the mouth, but to be honest, I just got bored with the video :roll:

As a side note, it appears you need to carry more kit with you when you’re not carrying food. Strangely ironic
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote:I watched it earlier all ready to be enraged and seething at the mouth, but to be honest, I just got bored with the video :roll:

As a side note, it appears you need to carry more kit with you when you’re not carrying food. Strangely ironic
Yeah that crossed my mind - either 200g cook kit and about a kilo of dried food or, bows, arrows, guns, ammo, fishing rods, wood burning stove.....