Aero bars/clip ons?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gummikuh

Aero bars/clip ons?

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi, I am using my drop bar bike more and more now and love the fact it seems to eat the road sections really easily, and I can still pick my way through the dirt OK'ish as long as I don't barrel through the rough stuff. However I am really suffering from numb hands when on the hoods after about an hour, I do move around but it still is always a struggle. I am normally used to using Jones loops on my longitude and these are OK.
Would aero bars help me on long distances( obviously not the bumpy bits)
If so what is the ones that any one would recommend?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Aero bars/clip ons?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd probably try double wrapping the bars (I had to do this at the start of the TNR after riding from Milan) or raising the bars slightly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Double wrapping the bars makes a big difference - if you've big enough hands to deal with it. On the Dirty Reiver I had a standard set of road drop bars so pretty stiff that were double wrapped and had no problems. If you do decide to do this then it might be worth having a slightly thinner tape on to begin with, say 2mm, then put a nice plush one on top, I used 3.5mm :-bd There's a few YouTube videos going through what you need to do as it isn't just a case of adding the extra tape, there's a bit of preparation involved.

Riding on the hoods for an hour? Is there a reason you can't use the drops? Even with road bars there's quite a bit more give on the drops than on the hoods. A specific off-road drop bar will have more compliance/give but won't feel quite as nice on the tarmac because of that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use bar gel under Lizard Skins DSP tape. The gel provides some cushioning and dampening and the sticky feel of the DSP means I can adopt a light touch.

I also have wee hands.

Bar/hood position is important too. I try to achieve a flat transition between the two rather than a trough my hands fall in to.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Numb hands can be a lot of things really.

if you are fairly new to drop bars, then often people ride with arms dead straight and locked out, instead of arms being slightly flexed and absorbing some of the bumps.

Plus it can be because your weight isn't balanced between your hands and your posterior, if the drop between the saddle and bars is a lot, then it takes a strong core to deal with that, if you have a weak core, then you will tend to lean more on bars.

Experiment with bar height in relation to bars, it is not always a case of raising bars, if your saddle is too far back, you'll lean more on bars. If your saddle is too high, you'll lean more on bars etc, so not always the bar height.

if it does persist, then you can get gel inserts to go under bar tape, or gloves such as Specialized's Body Geometry are good with gel inserts in the gloves.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies.

Are you suggesting double wrapping the hoods? I would be worried the tape would interfere with the brake lever. The bike is a Genesis datum, and I suspect the carbon forks are the root cause. I do use the drops and the top bar from time to time, but on longer journeys as soon as I go back to the hoods I get the numb hands.
I have no problems when on the drops or top bar, I just find being on the hoods a natural place to be so I suppose I spend most of my time on them.
I have the longitude for more rough stuff but want to try longer overnights with the drop bars on different adventures, more gravel/ back roads/lanes, would aero bars help?
The saddle is not too high the stem is fairly short and my hands fall naturally onto the hoods, but I have always had straight bars and this is the first drop bar bike I have had, although I have ridden to work pretty much every day for the past two years so not that new.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you suggesting double wrapping the hoods?
The entire bar. Simply a second layer of tape over what's already in place ... or remove that and apply 2 layers of new tape.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

When double wrapping, leave a space in the middle for the aero bars! :wink:

I bought a set from Planet X for 20 quid to see if I got on with them. Didn't use them on the TD and regretted it when I did eventually use them and found the position came naturally quite quickly.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I bought some cheap Chinese carbon bars with flat sections near the middle. I wasn't sure about them at first but it seems to help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fiber ... SwM2xas12I
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Here's a video describing the preparation and process of applying a second tape https://youtu.be/LGh8F-rewc0
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

Gummikuh wrote:would aero bars help?
Solve the problem, rather than trying to avoid it.

Look at tyre pressures, bars and position first, as that will solve the issues.

Aero bars only work in a small percentage of situations, which will still leave you with the issue 80% of the time.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ScotRoutes wrote:I use bar gel under Lizard Skins DSP tape. The gel provides some cushioning and dampening and the sticky feel of the DSP means I can adopt a light touch.

I also have wee hands.
I get a similar problem (and wee hands), and yet to find a perfect solution. Spesh BG gloves help a bit, but I'm trying to find something better. Lizard Skins tape is definitely good, but I would not be able to get two wraps on. Might try gel pads just for the hoods.

I think aero bars are a good option, especially where there is lots of road or easy trails. However, the super-light USE clips-one I ordered are a total PITA to fit properly, and I certainly wouldn't recommend them unless you enjoy a good faff in the workshop!
Chew

Post by Chew »

You dont have to go the full double wrap way.

I've just put an additional piece where the contact points are. (Around the bend up to the hoods).
Like a cheaper version of the gel pads
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I should have mentioned that Cinelli gel pads usually come up cheap on Planet X and that the Specialized Roubaix tape comes with some nifty "phat" gel pads. I think the Cannondale synapse tape does as well.

Stu recommended the Selle Italia Smootape XL which I have on the Fargo and it's lasted ages!
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

The Datum seems to have quite a high front end, and i always feel quite balanced on mine, with perhaps not enough weight on the bars. Its quite a stiff bike, and a big difference for me was running bigger tyres at lower pressures. im 88 kg and i ride some Clement mso 37mm (i think). on and off road they run peachy at sub 40psi. Its a v comfy place to spend several days.

Mrs Beener has some lovely carbon flexy drop flared bar, but i cant remember what they are. I will check when im home.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi BrenininBeemer, Exactly, I do find it a stiff bike, and on the road I do like that, off road or anything bumpy can be........fun! I am running 42c up front and a 40c in the rear and even they struggle to damp the bike over even speed humps.
I will try the double wrap to begin with, I was just wondering whether trying an aero bar would be worthwhile for the road sections and to give my hands a rest.
Given that my sleeping bag resides in that area it would offer another anchor point for that as well.
I do like to lay on my Jones loops from time to time, when its smooth road.

Thanks for everyones replies.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Hi, i am quite impressed with getting a 40mm in the rear. Do you get any chainstay rub. i limited to 36 or 37 to avaoid this. I have done the NC500 and the Xdurowales route on mine and i must say i love aerobars. There is a tiny part of me that is a triathlete and i really like the position. I currently have a Syntace set, where the elbow/forearm pad is directly above the bar clamp. This allows me to get to my stem cells as they arent obstructed.

Im curremtly building a 29 carbon rigid for bigger tyres. These are a v similar shape but the extension can slide through the bar clamp. This allows you to have the armrest closer to you.

If you would like pics, then PM me your email and i can send them.

Ian
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Chew wrote:
Gummikuh wrote:would aero bars help?
Solve the problem, rather than trying to avoid it.

Look at tyre pressures, bars and position first, as that will solve the issues.

Aero bars only work in a small percentage of situations, which will still leave you with the issue 80% of the time.
This really for me.

An hour on the bike isn’t that much (not trying to be rude) for your hands to go numb. I’d have a look at your position on the bike and see if it can be worked on. Perhaps you’re stretching too much or the bars are too low, putting extra pressure on your hands. A shorter and/or steeper rise stem may help

Double wrapping etc will help too, as well as a good pair of padded gloves (strangely I can ride my rigid mountain bike without gloves all day but can only manage a couple of hours in the road bike with out)
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

40c is very close, Schwalbe smart sams, as long as it's not sticky mud they are OK. Roll OK on the road as well. Tyre pressure is around 38psi so is reasonably soft without being a cornering nightmare. Bars are decent height, I can still look around at my surroundings! I am going to double wrap and I have slipped a thick piece under just behind the hood as it seems to be pressure on my carpal tunnel that is causing me to go numb.