Semi plus tyres sort of thing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Semi plus tyres sort of thing

Post by whitestone »

I'm looking at building up a front wheel with a dynamo hub. Since it's going on bike with a rigid fork I thought of going with 2.6" tyres (this is for a 29er) to give a little bit more cushioning. I'm slightly limited in choice regarding the dynamo as the fork uses a 15mm maxle - OK, very limited - but the real questions are what width rim and what tyre?

I'm unlikely ever to put anything less than a 2.35" tyre on this wheel, I suppose the maximum would be a 3" therefore going the full 29+ but that might alter the bike geometry quite a bit. 35mm internal width seems to be the normal recommendation for 2.6" tyres but would this be suitable for the above range?

Tyre wise I'm looking for something fast rolling. Think along the lines of Bontrager XR2 or Maxxis Ikon (neither of which are currently available in 2.6") rather than the super aggressive trail centre oriented tyres.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Semi plus tyres sort of thing

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

35mm should allow you to fit most sizes of tyre Bob - a 2.35" might become slightly 'squared off' and a 3" not pulled out as far it it might be on a 40mm or wider rim but it's not a bad compromise.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I have a 27.5x2.8 Rekon on a blunt up front, that's a 31 internal 35 external (about 14psi - not tubeless). It's been fine and sort of measures up a bit over 2.6* which is about what I wanted. I've got a 2.25 out back on the same rim and it sits really nicely without going overly square. Don't think I'd fit a 3" on it but I bet I wouldn't die.

Velocity state the blunt is for 50-70mm tyres so 1.96-2.75"

When all the plus thing dies down 2.6 on about that size rim will be the norm and I'll have been ahead of the game :wink:

* I can actually measure it if that helps
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

My son is mountedto a 35mm rim.

2.35 Maxxis tyres are spot on, although big for their size
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I had my SON 15mm on a DT Swiss XM481.
Its 30mm inner and I ran 2.4 MK2 tyres as also had RS forks.
I still have the rim its in very good condition.
Just saying. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I'm running 35mm rims with a Maxxis DHF 29er Wide Trail (I think 2.5" maybe 2.6"), works great.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

mountainbaker wrote:I'm running 35mm rims with a Maxxis DHF 29er Wide Trail (I think 2.5" maybe 2.6"), works great.
The DHF is too aggressive for what I want really Gabes. Had a chat in the shop near work and have gone for a Vittoria Mezcal - https://www.vittoria.com/eu/catalog/pro ... egory/301/ will see how I get on with it.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

whitestone wrote:
The DHF is too aggressive for what I want really Gabes. Had a chat in the shop near work and have gone for a Vittoria Mezcal - https://www.vittoria.com/eu/catalog/pro ... egory/301/ will see how I get on with it.
Yeah it's a really knobbly tyre the DHF, great for sloppy Devon mud and sub standard though. Just wanted to illustrate that 2.5 on 35mm is a good match, that's all Bob.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Due to Vittoria not being able to supply the chosen tyre for 6-8 weeks (why can't they put that on their website? :roll: ) I'm having to have a rethink.

Talking with the LBS there's a lot more choice in 27.5"/650b. Looking around there's the Bontrager Chupacabra and the Maxxis Ikon both available in 2.8" & 3.0" sizes. I like the Bonty tyres running with various combos of the XR series and the Ikon is a firm favourite of many. Another option might be the WTB offerings, I've the Bridger on my 650B+ wheel for example but it's a bit heavy but that could be the "competitively priced" Alpkit wheel :wink:

Another option is to go the full 29+ but this might alter the bike geometry a bit too much and could be heavier up front.

With the 650b+ I'm very unlikely to put a narrow tyre on it, it will be either 2.8 or 3.0 so can go with a wider rim but the 29er route I think I'd go with 35mm rims.
Ron Thomson

Post by Ron Thomson »

whitestone wrote: Another option might be the WTB offerings, I've the Bridger on my 650B+ wheel for example but it's a bit heavy but that could be the "competitively priced" Alpkit wheel :wink:
I rolled 3" WTB Ranger (fast rolling) on the HT550. Good sidewall protection too. They are a lot lighter than the Bridger.