Crossing Devon

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Crossing Devon

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I'm off down to Devon for a jaunt in a couple of weeks and my destination and car will be in Bigbury, I thought it would be nice to do a coast to coast starting in Minehead or somewhere nearby on the North Coast then cycle through Exmoor and Dartmoor over a couple of days.

My problem is, are there any public transport links that would accommodate a bike all the way to the coast or do I get the train to Taunton/Barnstaple and cycle to the coast to then come back south?

Also any route suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy
rufus748

Re: Crossing Devon

Post by rufus748 »

Andy, there's the westcountry coast to coast that runs from North Devon to Plymouth (or vice versa). It's an easy route, pretty flat mainly along the old train lines and can be done in a day, about 85 miles. Some great cafe stops along the way and great fish and chips in Plymouth on the Barbican. You can do an extra loop Barnstaple end out to illfracombe which would mean a night out.
Or the westcountry MTB route that runs from Plymouth, across Dartmoor, Exmoor and ends up in Minehead. A full two days, may take 3. You then need to get to Taunton to get the train back to the start, you either cycle or get the scenic steam train.
Bigburys not far from Plymouth so ready access to trains.
Both gpx's easily available on the net or I might still have them.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks Rufus,

The Westcountry MTB route looks good, I've just found a GPX for that. Any idea on whether it would be better N-S or S-N? Only found a S-N version.

Cheers,

Andy
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Not sure on direction preference, easy enough to reverse the route though if you wanted to. Probably worth looking at the hill profile and deciding.
The bit just out of Princeton is worth avoiding, the bridelpath by the river is non existent and is a real slog.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

There are mainline trains Plymouth to Taunton then either steam or rattler to Minehead from Norten Fitzwarren if you need to get to or from the northern end.
Not sure how bikes work on the NFW to Minehead route.
The Plymouth Minehead cycle route is a well documented with I think road and offish road versions.
There is also an option to do Devon C2C then along the north coast using Braunton 150 inland or coast route.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Robster

Post by Robster »

West Somerset railway has room for bikes on their trains. The westcountry way mtb is probably a little better sn but not that different, n to s would be fine as all the hips are pigs on Exmoor!
Maybe consider trying to get from Princetown towards Ivybridge and the Bigbury. Sounds like fun.
Cheers
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Bigbury to Ivybridge just follow the Erme north keeping to the smallest lanes.
There is a wade across at Mothercombe for the SWCP if the tides are right then just lanes up to Ivybridge.
Ivybridge to Princetown just follow the marked paths although Princetown might be out of your way if heading up the Two Moors Way.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks for the info all, I'm still in two minds, I think the train timetable may dictate which way I ride.

If anyone fancies an anchor slowing them down and are free 25-27th ish of June, feel free to join me!
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

If your gonna do it, do it soon. The moors is bone dry and monsoon season will be here soon.